What is wrong with this tire

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

DaveB
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Re: What is wrong with this tire

Post by DaveB » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:43 pm

Axel bending under load causing the inner tread to wear. Solution, need another axel.
In time single axel trailers will burn out bearings and tires due to undersize trailer for the stock Mac Trailer.
Why most of us have gone twin axels for safety and tow control.
Dave
Norca wrote:My trailer has started to develop a hummin sound on the road, and this is what it looks like:

Does anyone have an idea what is wrong? the two tires have similar wear on both sides of each tire
The pressure has been 50-55psi.
It looks to mee like the wheel have been bouncing on the road I never felt any heat build up at all.
This started on our way home from Florida last winter.
I thought I saw the left tire pointing out ( toe out) before launching, but now it looks OK,
I even checke the alignement with a straight-edge and tape mesure when I hauled the boat, all is good.
I can not feel anything loose either

Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Re: What is wrong with this tire

Post by Gazmn » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:36 pm

New tires bro...

I actually found ST load D, 8 ply tires for my 14" rims rated for 2010 lbs. (Vs the usual load C 6 ply rated for 1700). When you can- add a 2nd axle.

You switch out more for UV sidewall damage than treadwear. Or anticipate blowout city. Keep at highest cold inflation for any road trips.