Rolling on grass

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

jrcanoe
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 19

Rolling on grass

Post by jrcanoe » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:16 pm

Moved my 19 into my backyard for winter storage. Going To need help moving it to where I want it, not as easy as I thought it would be to roll it slightly up hill on grass.

Herschel
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Rolling on grass

Post by Herschel » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:35 pm

There is a "small sailboat" race each spring from St. Petersburg, FL to the keys. By "small" they mean a boat you can launch with the one or two man crew from the beach. Those folks use light rollers like fenders and swim "noodles" to help roll the larger craft to the water. I have used a slick tarp to help slide my inflatable onto the bed of my truck and around the yard. All of that said, you are moving a good sized boat. Maybe a few friends could help out. Sometimes it amazing what four men can pick up and carry. Or scoot. Lastly, at the first freeze, turn on the sprinkler and put down a sheet of ice. :P Good luck.

jrcanoe
Chief Steward

Post by jrcanoe » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:20 pm

Stared moving it three feet at a time with a come a long. Got it moved 6 ft and noticed now I could get car in to back it where I wanted it and decided to chance having to winch car out of back yard. Car came up out of the 2ft embankment with a running start. It wiii be a three step process un hooking and rehooking to get it back out but sure beats winching with a come a long!

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:07 pm

sure beats winching with a come a long
You have got me stumped here. What is a "come a long"? :?

Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:55 pm

seahouse
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Niagara at Lake Erie, Ontario. 2011 MacM, 60 hp E-Tec

Post by seahouse » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:47 pm

Sometimes it's possible to reduce the rolling resistance on grass (keep your tires at top pressure too) by putting planks (like 2 X 8's or 2 X 10 's) down where the tires will roll. Saves the grass if the ground is soft too.

I'm assuming though, that it's on a trailer :?:

It's also an easier job if you pull sideways on the tongue, put a chock (like a short piece of wood) behind the wheels, and then pull the other way, move the chocks ahead, and so on, using the tongue as a long lever, and move along that way. One person can do that, but it goes faster with more. :D

Of course, you'd need really wide boards if you were to combine the above two suggestions.

- B. :wink:

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:44 am

When I saw the subject title, I thought for sure you are from Colorado. That's where that stuff is legal, correct? Then I saw you are a fellow Pennsylvanian, and I thought, man, that guy is ballsy. Rolling grass, and posting it :o Are you next going to post your favorite brownie recipe :?:

To all you guys who responded, do you still think he is referring to a Mac problem. He hood winked all of you :evil: :D

Ray

Curwen
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by Curwen » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:53 am

As a fellow Pennsylvanian (since left), I could never make is past the grape vine. :| Wasn't as bad as kissing a girl who had a chew of Copenhagen in, but still not my cup of tea.

And if you are posting recipes, a lot of my neighbors made homemade wine and hard cider.

Rural Pennsylvania was a great place to grow up.

I am kind of disappointed that there is no thought of wrapping the come-a-long to the propane tank or the ball of the neighbor's house trailer. :)

Jimmyt
Captain

Post by Jimmyt » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:08 am

I have a lesser issue with mine, as most of the route is on concrete. I installed a 120volt winch to pull it up an incline into my garage. Part of the storage procedure is a turn on grass which was a real pain with the dinky trailer nose wheel which buried itself and plowed up my yard. I built a twin rubber tire nose wheel (steerable) out of an old pressure washer base - which makes the "grass-rolling" a lot easier.
http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... 13#p303818

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:57 am

Ingenious :!:

Ray

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:16 pm

I guess I am too literal. I actually thought you were trying to scoot an 18 ft. boat over grass. Never even entered my mind that it was on a trailer! I have experienced too many times here in Florida when I was trying to drag a dinghy or a Hobie across sand and grass not to just jump on the literal. Sorry for that. Now, just so it is clear, we are talking about moving a boat ON A TRAILER uphill in grass without a vehicle. Right? :?

jrcanoe
Chief Steward

Post by jrcanoe » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:17 pm

Herschel wrote: we are talking about moving a boat ON A TRAILER uphill in grass without a vehicle. Right? :?
Yes and I thought it would be easy. I can roll it up about the same incline on my driveway. My wife and I and a strong 22 son and his girlfriend moved it about an foot before I decided we needed a much better plan.I learned I can do it with the van but have to unhook and rehook because the yard is too small.

Jimmyt
Captain

Post by Jimmyt » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:39 pm

I had the same rude awakening trying to roll up a slight incline - mostly on concrete. The the 1/4" bump and incline into the garage was like pushing a car up a wall. Can't imagine what a long run in grass was like...

Bilgemaster
First Officer
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Post by Bilgemaster » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:46 pm

There are a number of homemade and other "trailer tugs" or "trailer mules" shown on YouTube. Find one and you'll be able to sit through as many demos as you care to. Most are powered through reduction gears by some kind of electric motor such as a modified winch and even some by cordless drills, but one of the more interesting and seemingly practical was actually a hand-cranked gizmo (though there are also cordless drill mods for it) called the Trailer Valet, with by far the most attention-gripping trailering-related ad you'll maybe ever see. You can thank me later, guys. Just make mine pepperoni. I guess the question in the present instance is: will its dual wheels work OK on a sloped grass surface? I would really like to see that Lindsay try. So would you. She can practice on my lawn all weekend. Sure. No problem. Just a big gouge. Don't worry dear. You just keep practicing. I can always re-sod the whole thing later... :P

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:16 pm

Checked out the video. Definitely worth the pizza with topping of choice! 8) But, I will make one final attempt at the low cost option, however. I have had success using the mast raising block and tackle from the 26X to lift heavy objects. I used it to lift plywood to shutter 2nd story windows during the hurricanes of 2004. I have used it to lift a heavy roll of carpet up into the attic. If you had a tree to attach a line in the general direction of desired travel, there might be enough increased capability with your onboard block and tackle to get the trailer moved into position with helpers pushing, as well. :|