bump from trailer when towing

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

blues midnight
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

bump from trailer when towing

Post by blues midnight » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:46 pm

Have trailered my 2006 26M a few times since buying it in summer and noticed a pronounced bump from the trailer whenever starting or stopping, seems to be more happen more when trailer is wet. If I pull out or brake very very slowly then no bump happens.

It's the original steel trailer but brake actuator system has been disconnected (no trailer brakes). I'm pretty sure it's not the boat itself moving, I use tiedowns on the sides and an extra tiedown strap on the winch eyelet in addition to the winch strap. I am guessing it may be due to the actuator overload spring allowing the end of the tongue to move forwards and backwards when starting or stopping, I think I can see it in different positions at different times so the end of the tongue seems to still be sliding forwards and backwards. (I know I need to get under there and look to see if the shock absorber is still connected and check out exactly what's going on inside the disconnected actuator tongue)

My questions are:

1) Is this dangerous? It freaks me out each time I feel that bump happen. I worry that the trailer might disconnect from the force of it.
2) Can I disconnect the actuator somehow to stop it sliding back and forth (if indeed this is the case...)

Any help on this issue very much appreciated, thanx!

Mac26Mpaul
Admiral

Re: bump from trailer when towing

Post by Mac26Mpaul » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:37 am

Here in the land of Oz (not the one near Kansas), we have a lever that you put down on your hitch when you are reversing which stops the cylinder from compressing. Not sure how the original US hitches work (if that's what you use in the UAE), do they have something that holds the actuator in the out position as this will stop that bang.

Jimmyt
Captain

Post by Jimmyt » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:58 am

My 2013 M trailor has a small metal insert that you have to wedge in a slot to defeat the brakes mechanically. I have a small bungee that keeps it in place during backing if the tow vehicle doesn't have the correct connections for the electric defeat. Movement appears to be 3/4" to 1" if I recall, so if your hydraulics are out, that may be your bump. Happy hunting.

Spector
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Spector » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:43 am

My actuator used to leak a bit and I could tell it needed fluid when it started bumping more. If you're not using the brakes, disable the ability for it to slide. Or ignore it.

blues midnight
Just Enlisted

Post by blues midnight » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:45 am

Thanx for the replies. Good to know that bump is not only in my case. Read the actuator manual this morning so will try to disable it with the pin so it doesn't slide. Or I could just live with it I suppose, now that I know it's 'normal'. :)

No plans to fix the breaks on it, they' were stripped out by the PO cuz of rust, trailer is almost 10 years old but seems ok but not worth much. Not much in the way of trailering laws here yet, it doesn't even have lights, just like the rest of the locals here!
Last edited by blues midnight on Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Azzarac
First Officer
Location: "Chameleon" in the Middle of the Mid-West w/Honda BF50

Post by Azzarac » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:51 am

Not sure if the M trailers use the same actuators as the X trailors did but mine has a small shock absorber under the actuator to mitigate the forces put upon the trailer when starting and stopping. Over the years the shock will wear out and cause the trailer to slam back and forth with a very annoying thud. You can easily replace these shocks by removing 2 bolts. Once out you can test them by how easily you can compress the shock.

Paul S
Site Admin
Sailboat: Other

Post by Paul S » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:52 am

use the locking pin or fix the brakes. The parts are not expensive.

Im sure its fine letting it slide on the pins, but the banging would annoy me.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:04 am

Azzarac wrote:Not sure if the M trailers use the same actuators as the X trailors did but mine has a small shock absorber under the actuator to mitigate the forces put upon the trailer when starting and stopping.
I believe the M trailers used the UFP actuators, which though quite a bit different than the Titan/Dico Model 60 type used on the X trailers, still has a shock absorber. And here's the manual for it(A-60/70/84 maintenance link). http://www.ufpnet.com/actuators/tabid/54/default.aspx I had to look it up - curiosity got the better of me. :wink:

korn_kid_12
Chief Steward

Post by korn_kid_12 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:20 am

My trailer is falling apart the brake lines were rusted out and useless. I stripped them off, stripped all the parts out of the tongue and bolted and welded a new coupler in there. Reason in my the actual coupler was bent and difficult to lock to the truck by the po. I will snap a picture

blues midnight
Just Enlisted

Post by blues midnight » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:17 am

That's what I was thinking, just bolt/weld on a new coupler minus the actuator, less parts,simpler,less stuff to break/maintain/rust, especially since no trailer laws here, small country and pretty flat terrain.

LoHo
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Venture 2-22

Post by LoHo » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:59 am

I think what the original poster is experiencing is the actuator pivoting with no resistance from the now-disconnected brakes. If there is no back pressure from the hydraulic braking system, the actuator just pivots fore and aft with the momentum of the trailer.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:33 pm

LoHo wrote:I think what the original poster is experiencing is the actuator pivoting with no resistance from the now-disconnected brakes. If there is no back pressure from the hydraulic braking system, the actuator just pivots fore and aft with the momentum of the trailer.
right. which is why he needs to either fix it or put the locking tab in the slide hole to keep it from moving

blues midnight
Just Enlisted

Post by blues midnight » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:06 pm

Not sure what the "locking tab in the slide hole" is, can you explain? ( can't see one on the trailer and not mentioned in the manual as far as I can tell) thanx for all the replies and help, still quite a newby to all this...

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:18 pm

blues midnight wrote:Not sure what the "locking tab in the slide hole" is, can you explain? ( can't see one on the trailer and not mentioned in the manual as far as I can tell) thanx for all the replies and help, still quite a newby to all this...
See page 10 of the manual I linked to above. I believe that's what he's referring to.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:34 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:
blues midnight wrote:Not sure what the "locking tab in the slide hole" is, can you explain? ( can't see one on the trailer and not mentioned in the manual as far as I can tell) thanx for all the replies and help, still quite a newby to all this...
See page 10 of the manual I linked to above. I believe that's what he's referring to.
or watch the video http://www.ufpnet.com/movies/UFP_A-60-Lockout.mpg