Help with a trailer for a Mac 25

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Jim Hawkins
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Help with a trailer for a Mac 25

Post by Jim Hawkins » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:20 pm

I have a Mac 25 that I want to do maintenance on the swing keel. Being un-experienced with the work I prefer to do it on a trailer rather than working underwater, But, I don't have a trailer. I want to borrow one and need to know which of my neighbors trailer would work. Seems to me if I know the measurement from the axle to the bow roller as well as the clearance needed from the bunks to the crossbars of the trailer I should be able to find a suitable trailer to borrow.

Any help will be appreciated.

Stevenhigbee
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: Help with a trailer for a Mac 25

Post by Stevenhigbee » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:09 pm

I need to replace the cable on the swing keel of my 26-S. I can't do it on the trailer, because you can't drop the keel with the boat on the trailer. I'm waiting for the water to get warm enough to do it in the water. Otherwise I would have to jack it up and put it on boat stands.

Jim Hawkins
Just Enlisted

Post by Jim Hawkins » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:53 am

My first concern is to replace the bolt that holds the keel at the top. Then replace the tube that the cable goes through which if I understand is critical to keep water out. I would think those things could be done on the trailer and then attaching the cable done last in the water. I suppose I will need to take the cable off the spool to slide a new tube on and then reattach the cable to hold the keel while putting it back in the water.

If you have a trailer could you give me the dimensions?

Jim Hawkins
Just Enlisted

Re: Help with a trailer for a Mac 25 (Please)

Post by Jim Hawkins » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:20 pm

awww, cmon. No one can help me with those trailer measurements? Please?

kmclemore
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:42 pm

I will say that Mac 25's are somewhat rare so we don't get that many owners posting, but I'll join you in your plea.

Please, fellow owners - CHIP IN!!

:)

Freedom77
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by Freedom77 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:54 am

Once again Yacthmen, Tell us where ya live. I have V25 and would be happy to let you use my trailer and even help you fix the problem. (How many six packs of beer does it take to work on a boat?) :? I have posted my home port, in this case lake, on my profile. Fair Winds and Full Sails...Old Salt

Jim Hawkins
Just Enlisted

Post by Jim Hawkins » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:53 pm

I'm in Cudjoe Key, FL

Guess I wasn't clear, I don't need to borrow a trailer from someone on this forum, I only need to find out what the dimensions are that I need.

Measurement from the bow rest to the axle and measurement from the bunks down to the trailer cross-members (for keel clearance)

Thanks

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:35 pm

'Tis a famous name ye bear. Ever read "Treasure Island"? :P
Jim Hawkins wrote:I have a Mac 25 that I want to do maintenance on the swing keel. Being un-experienced with the work I prefer to do it on a trailer rather than working underwater, But, I don't have a trailer. I want to borrow one and need to know which of my neighbors trailer would work. Seems to me if I know the measurement from the axle to the bow roller as well as the clearance needed from the bunks to the crossbars of the trailer I should be able to find a suitable trailer to borrow.

Any help will be appreciated.