A couple of trailer mods

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

My Mistress
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

A couple of trailer mods

Post by My Mistress » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:01 pm

The guide poles on my trailer, an original Mac, were looking a little worse for the wear. Rust and pitting, plus being covered with pool noodles and green tape didn't help. I understand the concept of keeping hard metal away from the hull, but they looked terrible. My answer was to clean them up, and use simple PVC.

The original post after removing the pool noodle and green tape:

Afterwards,

The metal tubes were sanded down to bare metal, treated with Metal Ready, and repainted. The PVC tubes were slid over the metal tubes, then filled with expanding foam. If I had it available, I would have painted the metal with POR-15, which is a better product.

Note to all. Do not stick your little finger into the tube. Olive oil can be a bear to clean off so the paint will stick ;)

My Mistress
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: A couple of trailer mods

Post by My Mistress » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:12 pm

The side guides, before and after, the same clean up and paint regimen was used and the marker lights were added.

I found these lights at an Academy Sports store on a clearance shelf. The lamps slid nicely into a 2inch PVC reducer and they have enough wire to reach to the trailers wiring harness. The pvc tubes were simply slid over the original metal tubes and sealed with expandable foam. This will hold them firmly in place, but not so firm that they won't be able to be removed in the future.

As a side note, the previous owner left a couple pieces of small diameter spring wire, used for pulling electrical wire, in the cubby above the sink. These came to good use pulling the electrical wire through the steel tube that had become clogged with dirt and wasp nests over the years.

A recommendation I would make to all owners is to run a shotgun bore brush through these small diameter tubes to clean out the crud and rust, then follow with a patch saturated with a good quality paint to coat the insides of the tubes. A lot of rust can accumulate there over the years.