Bunk replacement?

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
warren631
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Bunk replacement?

Post by warren631 »

I just bought a 88 26D on a 5-Starr 5S-172200V trailer. I have driven it about 120 miles with no problems except a little fishtailing if I go above 55. There are no rollers. The two longitudinal bunks are only supporting the hull at their front and rear ends. I think this might be bad for the boat. The middle of the bunks, just above the axial, don't touch the hull at all and are about 3 inches below the hull. Should I add supports to try to raise the middle of the bunks? Or should I install new bunks? Are new bunks supplied straight flat or are they 'bowed' to match the contour of the hull? Or do they 'bow' to the hull contour from the weight of the boat? If I replace the bunks how do I adjust them to the boat - just set the ends to the same height as the old ones? Sorry, lots of questions. Thanks for any answers.
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Bunk replacement?

Post by Russ »

My first thought is that it's probably fine.

If you could post a photo, that might help.

Sumner is my resident trailer expert. He has some great stuff here
http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... index.html
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Bunk replacement?

Post by Tomfoolery »

Personally, without knowing much about the 26C, I'd be inclined to match the OEM bunk arrangement. Boats often have thicker hulls and/or ribs or structural bulkheads where they were intended to be supported while bouncing down the road. That may not be the case, but I'd at least look for stiff structure where the original bunks were, and at least try to get support there rather than on some large-span oil can surface. As a starting point, at least.

With longitudinal bunks of some great length, unless they're straight and intended to be bent by the boat weight (thereby distributing the force over the length), there will be a hard spot wherever the support for the bunk is. That may be ok, or it may not be ok.