Brake issues Titan model 60

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

macowneril2015
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

Brake issues Titan model 60

Post by macowneril2015 » Fri May 06, 2016 10:17 am

So i finally got the parts to replace the spring, shock absorber, and master cylinder for the titan model 60. I replaced the parts but now i cant push the actuator part in.... i tried backing my truck up, nothing I take it apart and everything looks right. I put it back together the same way I took it apart. I have not connected the brake lines so there would not be a pressure issue. Another issue is the spring part appears to be a little long but I believe I can adjust it using the screw on top. The issue appears to be maybe tied to the shock absorber. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. I am going to try again today yesterday i spent 4 hours replacing and trying to figure it out.

RobertB
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Brake issues Titan model 60

Post by RobertB » Sat May 07, 2016 8:01 am

Post some pictures. BTW, after doing the blocking the trailer wheels and backing up the tow vehicle to bleed the brakes, I learned the easy way - tie a rope to the trailer jack wheel and to a 4 or 5 foot 2x4. then use the 2x4 to lever the coupling in.

macowneril2015
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

Post by macowneril2015 » Sun May 08, 2016 9:46 pm

Okay I fixed the problem now the bleeding the brakes is an issue I tried using a vac hand pump and the pressure won't hold I am not sure if it is an issue with the bleeder screws or what but if anyone has suggestions or experience I appreciate it.

cptron
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Hattiesburg MS. "Storm Walker" 2011 26m with ETech 60

Post by cptron » Mon May 09, 2016 12:56 am

macowneril2015 wrote:Okay I fixed the problem now the bleeding the brakes is an issue I tried using a vac hand pump and the pressure won't hold I am not sure if it is an issue with the bleeder screws or what but if anyone has suggestions or experience I appreciate it.
When I helped Vic bleed his brakes he had an access whole on top covered by a plastic/rubber insert. Remove insert and you should be able to have someone use a screw driver, or something similar, and push the actuator in to pump them up and hold while you then work the bleeders.
Hope this helps.