Newbie, retrieving a 26x

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

tlgeddes
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Newbie, retrieving a 26x

Post by tlgeddes » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:14 pm

DaveC426913 wrote:Oh, and when you open the stopcock in the transom, don't deny yourself a Mac tradition.

As onlookers point at 1150 gallons pouring out of your tail, be sure to look at them, deadpan, and say "Oh, just dumping my blackwater". :)
That is so funny. I actually said it this weekend to my neighbor camper.

We also launched for the first time Weds, smooth waters nice grade off the beach into the waters, no issues.
Getting the boat on....different story. This :macm: has so much freeboard it's like a sail all by itself. we ended up leaving it in the water for all 3 nights which caused other beaching issues also due to the wind.

Once the wind dropped back below 5 knots we still couldn't get the trailer in. After readjusting to a shore with a deeper drop with the bunks under water we walked the boat in and a little help from the trailer winch we were home free with no motor used at all.

So my lessons learned from our first launch and retrieval:

For beach retrieval I want to put a 25ft strap on the trailer winch to make it easier to hook and pull. This assumes two people, 1 on the crank and one in the water on the stern keeping the boat on the correct trajectory. Also assumes no engine use, no one in the boat and very little wind.

The 25' dock retrieval line was useful

Find a ramp with a dock if it's windy, even then if the wind is off the sides it is going to be tricky.

Ditto on the 1 rudder flat to the water. When we were attempting a retrieval when it was windy having the rudder down helped.

The previous owner kept a 12v tube pump in the boat. The fittings go nicely into the vent hole and once the ballast gate is open will pressurize the tank and help get the water out. I didn't use it yet but it seems like it would work.

Retcoastie
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Retcoastie » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:38 am

The previous owner kept a 12v tube pump in the boat. The fittings go nicely into the vent hole and once the ballast gate is open will pressurize the tank and help get the water out. I didn't use it yet but it seems like it would work.
When you do this, just open the gate valve a little bit in order to push out more water before the bubbles start to escape.

Ken

mcepalo

Post by mcepalo » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:35 am

dlandersson wrote:You may wish to consider (if you don't already) having a cleat amidships on whichever side you dock.

I have a docking line on mine, and the midpoint of the line is on a boathook. When I approach the dock I slip the line around a slip pole/pillar and then simply pull the line taunt to bring the boat slowly next to the dock - I then tie off the bow/stern/spring lines. Easy peasy. :wink:
thanks a loot to all for help. mid cleat is there. I like the trick that you can see here:
https://youtu.be/y-JEh4YpIis
will try on my next docking, if I don't crush something before :-)

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:18 am

mcepalo wrote:
dlandersson wrote:You may wish to consider (if you don't already) having a cleat amidships on whichever side you dock.

I have a docking line on mine, and the midpoint of the line is on a boathook. When I approach the dock I slip the line around a slip pole/pillar and then simply pull the line taunt to bring the boat slowly next to the dock - I then tie off the bow/stern/spring lines. Easy peasy. :wink:
thanks a loot to all for help. mid cleat is there. I like the trick that you can see here:
My normal docking procedure is essentially the same, but I just use the stern cleat. And I come in much slower, and essentially stop so I can reach over (while seated) and grab the dock line that I left there for when I come back.

Once I have the loop over the stern cleat, I motor against it at idle. Turning the wheel regulates the proximity of the cockpit area to the dock. If I'm alone, I just get off the boat with the engine idling in forward gear and get a bow line on it. Unless the wind is calm, of course, in which case I can just get off and give the boat an occasional tug to bring the bow close enough to get a dock line on the bow.

I rarely use a boat hook unless I'm not at my home dock, in which case, what I do depends on what I can get a dock line on.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:52 am

Nice video, except I use the pole/pillar. 8)
mcepalo wrote:

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:38 pm

mcepalo wrote:will try on my next docking, if I don't crush something before :-)
I should add that you should not come in as hot as the guy in the video, especially if you're trying this for the first time. You should arrest forward motion with the OB, timed to stop you where you want to be. If you miss the cleat and you're moving at anything more than a crawl, you likely won't be able to stop without hitting the dock with the bow. Or if grabbing a dock line that's already on the dock cleat, like I do, you can end up hurting yourself. Or falling overboard. And with a wind or current off the beam, you can then end up blown into another boat, since you missed your chance at getting a line on.

You learn that real quick with a heavier boat (dangers I still respect, and habits that keep you out of harm's way for any size boat). Treat every boat like it's big and heavy and will do you great bodily harm from trying to brute force something. Like cutting a heavily loaded sheet loose with your bare hands, without taking a turn on a winch, and instantly regretting it when your hands get shined. :cry: