Al trailer wheel studs

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

stuendan
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Al trailer wheel studs

Post by stuendan » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:27 am

Anyone out there down under know where I can source some wheel studs? Last time I needed one I could'nt find a match online or at auto shops - ended up getting one sent over from BWY in US - a part no. would be helpful if nothing else - cheers guys

sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Al trailer wheel studs

Post by sailboatmike » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:56 am

Have you got a sample??

Im sure that one could be found here we import most of the US car brands.

What part of Melbourne are you in??

dustoff
Deckhand

Post by dustoff » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:00 am

I believe the part numbers for the studs are on them. Or at least there are some specification numbers there. I had to replace several of mine last year because they broke off when I was repacking the trailer wheel bearings. They had gotten so corroded that when I tried to take the lugs off they just broke off. However, it was a major pain to get replacements. The part numbers on the studs weren't much help on the auto shop computers. I eventually found an auto shop that found a visual match and dimensions check using calipers using one of the studs I brought in. I should have used BWY, but I was in a hurry to get done to put the boat in the water.

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:10 am

Got mine from bwy. At least you know you're going to get the right part. Nothing worse than ordering something, waiting for it to find out it doesn't fit.

stuendan
Chief Steward

Post by stuendan » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:43 pm

Ezra at BWY identified the studs for me as UPF 32855. UFP supply all the MAC trailer bits through Trailer Buddy Products in CA. Karavan Trailers (www.karavantrailers.com.au) in NSW (Aus) have the studs and lots of other trailer bits!