Busted trailer

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
mhobeych
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Busted trailer

Post by mhobeych »

My trailer for Mac 26x is busted.
The metal bar that connects the wheels has rusted and crumbled.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/mhobeych/trailer.JPG

Any suggestion on how to fix?
Where to buy a used trailer?
How to get the boat off the old trailer and to the new trailer? The boat is far from water?

Thanks
kurz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Busted trailer

Post by kurz »

well, you need a new axle...
bobflshmn
First Officer

Post by bobflshmn »

mhobeych wrote: Any suggestion on how to fix?
Where to buy a used trailer?
How to get the boat off the old trailer and to the new trailer? The boat is far from water?

Thanks
Like previously mentioned you need a axle. It will come with the spindle for the bearings, and hub to attach to or you could get a complete setup. If you get the axle only specify the one with the backing plate for the brake mount. I recommend looking at Norther Tool on line. There is also a Patton Steel in Ontario area which might carry them. Additionally any trailer place could sell you one. I am not real familiar with the Brea area. You will need to specify the weight.
LoHo
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Venture 2-22

Post by LoHo »

It is a simple, if not easy, fix. Etrailer, Trailer Parts Depot, etc., can ship a new axle, complete with hubs, if you like. Measure from the middle of the springs to middle of the springs, count your lugs, and order away. You will have to jack the frame up and to remove the old one and install a new one. Simple bolting, after you raise her up.
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

Call a trailer shop. A good one should be able to fix her up. I'm not a fan of scraping the whole rig. That's an option, but see what can be reclaimed from what you got.

The tongue is also suspect point. Have that checked as well.
gabid
Engineer
Sailboat: Other

Post by gabid »

If the axle broke, it's time for a new trailer. You'll change the axle now, next year the tongue will brake :-)
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

Champion trailer parts in Lousiana will sell you a nice galvanized axle that will fit exactly.

I went with the one with axle grease fittings , about 10 years ago. Still strong, in salt water use