2002X steel trailer fender removal

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

2002X steel trailer fender removal

Post by Catigale » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:56 am

Report from NY on removing my fenders for a mod.

The fenders have a threaded rod welded to the edges, thread size 5/8 inch shank, 11 tpi

A 24 mm or 15/16 wrench fits these new.

The nuts are inside the fender rails and will be rusty, gnarly mess if you salt water sail for 15 years before trying to move them

PB blaster for three days prior

First one. 24 mm impact spun, ended up hammering a 22mm on and rattled them with an electric gun for three minutes. The moved 1/2 turn, so thought I was home. With 18 inch breaker, I started to twist the metal fender instead of loosening the bolt. Shinola. Popped out the propane, heated for three minutes with wood to protect hull. Back to rattle gun, and voila...nut came off. It was a real mess.

Second one not so badly corroded. Heated it right up , and it would rattle one turn. Turned it back, PB, back and forth , each time it came another 1/2 turn, until success.

I got two 5/8 X11 SS ( low grade ) to replace

I'll put pictures in when I get new hosting

sailboatmike
Admiral

Re: 2002X steel trailer fender removal

Post by sailboatmike » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:22 am

Im in the process of giving my trailer a freshen up, I was a bit embarrassed the other day when we launched and the beautiful boat came off a VERY tatty looking trailer. at the club we can leave our boats in the water, so I thought I would leave the boat on the club jetty and smarten up the trailer.

Well that was a week ago and I have worked on it every day grinding the paint off and using 3 or 4 coats spray on cold gal still not finished but most of the way there.

To get to the point, my mud guards are the same but at some point one of the PO's has welded on extra supports, welded to both the guards and the frame.

In the longer run I intend on replacing the steel guards with plastic ones further reducing the weight of the trailer and thats one (well 2) less things to keep the rust maintenance up too

K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:10 am

So much work! This bloke has a quicker way...

The wrong side drivers' fender removal process
:D

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:31 am

Hold my beer and watch this! Or whatever Brits or Australians say that's equivalent. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Oh, and almost lost a keyboard to coffee watching that. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:47 pm

Ouch on that rollover...

dca81
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by dca81 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:11 am

Suggestion for removing old rusty bolts presented in my Ford Model A club. Heat the nut/bolt and then immediately touch the base of the nut and bolt with a coating of paraffin or candle-wax. The heat will suck the paraffin/wax into the threads and make the bolt/nut easier to separate. You can attempt to remove as soon as the bolt /nut are cool enough to work with, but it is best to wait about a day. I have never used the technique myself but several members swear by the technique and have use it to remove rusty bolts off of A,s that have been in open weather for decades.