TRAILER WEIGHT MAC 25

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Hamin' X, kmclemore, Paul S, beene, Catigale

tom7219
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

TRAILER WEIGHT MAC 25

Post by tom7219 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:16 am

Does anyone know the weight of the stock mac 25 trailer? Only the boat is listed in the manual, which shows the weight as 2100 lbs - is this pretty accurate before putting anything in the boat?
Considering whether electric brakes on the trailer are worth the cost. I tow with a 3/4 ton Chevy pickup. Thanks for any info you can offer

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: TRAILER WEIGHT MAC 25

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:43 am

The OEM single-axle steel 26X trailer had a published empty weight of 710 lb. From what I've seen of the other Mac steel trailers, they were very similar, and used the same or similar steel members and similar axles. So I would think the weight is in the same neighborhood, give or take a few pounds.

If it were me, I'd put brakes on the trailer, but many with a 3/4 ton full-sized PU wouldn't bother. Electrics have the benefit of being able to control them separately, unlike surge brakes, which is super nice if sway became an issue. But with a long wheelbase vehicle and proper tongue weight (10% or more), I just don't see that being a problem either.

Electric brakes may not hold up to salt water immersion as well as hydraulic disc, but they're certainly cheap enough to rebuild every spring if necessary, so there's that. And in a salt environment, I'd be taking the hubs off and inspecting/replacing the bearings and seals every spring anyway.