Macgregor 25 Trailer Questions

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

jollyroger47
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Macgregor 25 Trailer Questions

Post by jollyroger47 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:24 pm

I have a few questions about acquiring the right trailer for a 1983 Macgregor 25. Firstly is there a standard size trailer that would fit particularly well with the Macgregor 25? Is there anything I should be aware of when looking for a trailer (like correct dimensions for keel, hull, beam, etc.)? Or are sailboat trailers fairly universal? Like if I find a 25 foot trailer it will most likely fit my boat. Lastly does anyone know of any good places in Northern or Southern California who would be willing to rent or sell me a trailer for cheap? Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jollyroger

Sisu
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Re: Macgregor 25 Trailer Questions

Post by Sisu » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:22 pm

The trouble with the Mac25 is that it has an external keel (some boats have it mostly recessed in the keel trunk). That means you need a trailer with the frame clearance to accommodate the bottom of the keel while still having low enough bunks to allow ramp launching/retrieving. My trailer is custom for the boat, with it's rear frame crossmember in a deep "v" shape to accommodate the keel - so deep that ground clearance is sometimes an issue.