What is the material that covers the bunks?

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Post Reply
User avatar
dlandersson
Admiral
Posts: 3473
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:00 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Chicago metro, USA

What is the material that covers the bunks?

Post by dlandersson » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:12 am

Ok, I need to recover/renew the material that covers the bunks (wood) that my X rests on on the trailer.

What is the term/terms for it and where can I get it? :|

User avatar
npsrangerchuck
Engineer
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:39 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: What is the material that covers the bunks?

Post by npsrangerchuck » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:23 am

Here is a link. Good product- very robust.

https://www.amazon.com/Fulton-CR8012-Re ... unk+carpet

User avatar
dlandersson
Admiral
Posts: 3473
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:00 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Chicago metro, USA

Re: What is the material that covers the bunks?

Post by dlandersson » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:40 am

Thanks.

Anyone have any opinions on the best way to fasten the bunk covering to the bunk? 8)
npsrangerchuck wrote:Here is a link. Good product- very robust.

https://www.amazon.com/Fulton-CR8012-Re ... unk+carpet
Last edited by dlandersson on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Russ
Admiral
Posts: 5543
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:01 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Bozeman, Montana "Luna Azul" 2008 M 70hp Suzi

Re: What is the material that covers the bunks?

Post by Russ » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:45 am

I just used cheap indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowes.

Attached with SS staples being careful none faced the hull where it could scratch.

User avatar
dlandersson
Admiral
Posts: 3473
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:00 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Chicago metro, USA

Re: What is the material that covers the bunks?

Post by dlandersson » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:06 pm

What size staples? I'm thinking monel rust-proof.
RussMT wrote:I just used cheap indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowes.

Attached with SS staples being careful none faced the hull where it could scratch.

User avatar
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Posts: 5210
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:42 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Rochester, NY '99X BF50 'Tomfoolery'

Re: What is the material that covers the bunks?

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:32 pm

dlandersson wrote:What size staples? I'm thinking monel rust-proof.
RussMT wrote:I just used cheap indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowes.

Attached with SS staples being careful none faced the hull where it could scratch.
I used monel, mostly because that's all that was on the shelf at the time. They're Stanley T-50 narrow crown, 1/2" long (deep) staples.

If I had it to do again, and I will sooner or later, I think I'd buy a cheap Harbor Freight pneumatic stapler. But that's a tool rather than material issue. :wink:

User avatar
dlandersson
Admiral
Posts: 3473
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:00 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Chicago metro, USA

Re: What is the material that covers the bunks?

Post by dlandersson » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:05 pm

Thx - love this site. 8)
Tomfoolery wrote:
dlandersson wrote:What size staples? I'm thinking monel rust-proof.
RussMT wrote:I just used cheap indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowes.

Attached with SS staples being careful none faced the hull where it could scratch.
I used monel, mostly because that's all that was on the shelf at the time. They're Stanley T-50 narrow crown, 1/2" long (deep) staples.

If I had it to do again, and I will sooner or later, I think I'd buy a cheap Harbor Freight pneumatic stapler. But that's a tool rather than material issue. :wink:

User avatar
Wind Chime
Captain
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:30 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada. 2000-26X, Suzuki-50hp, 8' Walker-Bay tender (with sailkit)
Contact:

Re: What is the material that covers the bunks?

Post by Wind Chime » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:02 pm

I refurbished our 2000 factory trailer a few years ago and replaced our entire bunks with;
- pressure treated 2x4's
- galvanized nuts, bolts, and washers (had to cut the rusted old ones off with sawsall)
- black outdoor carpet
- stainless staples (T-5O)
all off the rack in one buy form Home Depot.

3 years and counting no problems.
If replacing the wood as well - do yourself a favor and label the old ones before taking them off, replacing the new ones is much easier using the old bolt holes for proper positioning :?

User avatar
dlandersson
Admiral
Posts: 3473
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:00 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Chicago metro, USA

Re: What is the material that covers the bunks?

Post by dlandersson » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:05 pm

I'm not sure I understand. Could you come over and show me how you did it? :P
Wind Chime wrote:I refurbished our 2000 factory trailer a few years ago and replaced our entire bunks with;
- pressure treated 2x4's
- galvanized nuts, bolts, and washers (had to cut the rusted old ones off with sawsall)
- black outdoor carpet
- stainless staples (T-5O)
all off the rack in one buy form Home Depot.

3 years and counting no problems.
If replacing the wood as well - do yourself a favor and label the old ones before taking them off, replacing the new ones is much easier using the old bolt holes for proper positioning :?

User avatar
Wind Chime
Captain
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:30 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada. 2000-26X, Suzuki-50hp, 8' Walker-Bay tender (with sailkit)
Contact:

Re: What is the material that covers the bunks?

Post by Wind Chime » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:30 pm

LOL ... ok, I'll set sail this weekend - should be there by spring :P

User avatar
Chinook
Admiral
Posts: 1559
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:20 pm
Location: LeavenworthWA 2002 26x, Suzuki DF60A

Re: What is the material that covers the bunks?

Post by Chinook » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:59 pm

When I replaced my trailer bunks I used plastic material that patio decks are made of, so it wouldn't rot in the future. Easy to cut with a table saw and drill into, and it holds staples for the new carpet pieces just fine. Instead of standard bolts I got some of those nuts which have spikes on them (can't recall what they're called). I drilled counter sink holes for them, and then tapped them into place. They are available in stainless. After stapling new carpet covers into place (used the old carpet for patterns) I was able to bolt them into place with stainless bolts from the underside of the trailer. This makes it easy to unbolt them in order to repaint the trailer.

Post Reply