Where to find a used Macgregor 25 trailer in California?

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

jollyroger47
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Where to find a used Macgregor 25 trailer in California?

Post by jollyroger47 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:48 pm

Does anyone know of where I may find a used Macgregor 25 trailer for sale in California? I have looked online and they seem to be really hard to find. I have found one locally, but it has a boat on it, and I don't think I need the responsibility of owning two boats, one is enough trouble.. Any mature helpful responses will be appreciated as always.

Bilgemaster
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Re: Where to find a used Macgregor 25 trailer in California?

Post by Bilgemaster » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:12 am

Well, this dual-axle "BOAT TRAILER FITS BOAT UP TO 30'FT. - $1800" beast currently up on Craigslist and possibly located in Stockton might be worth a look-see. It is also up there on the Sacramento listings as "TRAILER "FOR BOAT " UP TO 29'ft. - $1850", so there's clearly some wiggle room on the price. Unless I'm mistaken, its manufacturer Road Runner is still a going concern up in British Columbia, so that might bode well for parts and other support. It looks like the one on Craigslist has taken a few cans of white spray paint, but it might actually be galvanized underneath, which wouldn't suck, right?

Anyhow happy hunting!

Oh, and whichever trailer you may end up with, you'd do well to make damned sure it has a good title, and not just some "bill of sale" nonsense. I cannot say how The Golden State may handle titleless trailers, but here in the Commonwealth of Virginia and elsewhere it's a HUGE hassle. After months of fruitless visits to the DMW with title searches, affidavits, and enough other nonsense that I probably deserved my own coffee mug there, I ended up having to declare mine as "homebuilt." That's right officer, I fashioned this trailer in my back yard out of Silly-Putty. "No title, no deal" should be your mantra.

ramirezpm
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by ramirezpm » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:42 pm

I completely agree with BilgeMaster about the Title of a used Trailer. If it doesn't have a title, don't buy it. In Kansas an unscrupulous trailer owner will not register their purchase, so they don't have to pay taxes on the License plate each year. When they sell the trailer, the new owner gets caught with "Title Jumping," between owners, which is illegal. Lots of headaches getting that straightened out.

Ponaldpe
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Ponaldpe » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:19 pm

Here in Florida trailers under 2000 lbs do not have a title just a registration by weight. You might look at trailers for other types of boats, I got a Flats/Bass boat trailer that fit the 26M with adjusting the bunks and front winch and stop.

Bilgemaster
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Post by Bilgemaster » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Ponaldpe wrote:Here in Florida trailers under 2000 lbs do not have a title just a registration by weight. You might look at trailers for other types of boats, I got a Flats/Bass boat trailer that fit the 26M with adjusting the bunks and front winch and stop.
Indeed. An online search for something like "Macgregor 25 trailer" or even just "Macgregor trailer" is probably far less likely to turn up suitable candidates than just "boat trailer". You might also consider lobbing in searches for "trailor" or even "traler", since there are a lot of devoted Jersey Shore and Duck Dynasty fans out there. And once they're finished installing their new bait tank, that "traler" may well become available...

Seriously, taking advantage of dullards and the ill-educated can be a winning online purchasing strategy! There are even services like Typobay.com to help one get one's head right on down there to sub-basement level without risking a nosebleed.