towing with the dodger and bimini on

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

bellevuesailor
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

towing with the dodger and bimini on

Post by bellevuesailor » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:58 pm

Does anyone tow with the dodger and bimini (covered) still on the boat?

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: towing with the dodger and bimini on

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:15 pm

I've towed around town at local road speeds with the dodger up. Not on the highway, though, and not often. Don't want to crap up my nice new windows.

Local road speeds are no different than a windy day on the water or at the dock. I couldn't tow with the bimini up though as it has to be folded to drop the mast, so that's the first thing to get removed and the hoops folded. Maybe some day I'll make a boot for it, so I don't have to take the canvas off. But I have to have it when on the boat, as I want to minimize sun exposure to whatever degree is reasonable.

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:36 pm

My first thought was, "Sure, I tow my dinghy with my dodger and Bimini up all the time." Then, I read your post and got the picture! :D No, I never tow with either up. Why stress the fabric? It takes enough wear and tear. I detach my dodger and stow it below. I fold up the Bimini, affix the cover, zip it up, and fold the frame down and secure it to cockpit sides. I do leave it attached at the hinge points.

bellevuesailor
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by bellevuesailor » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:08 pm

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I should take the dodger down and just fold up the bimini, put it in its cover, and tie it down to the sides of the cockpit.

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:57 pm

bellevuesailor wrote:Thanks for the info. Sounds like I should take the dodger down and just fold up the bimini, put it in its cover, and tie it down to the sides of the cockpit.
You are so nice. 8) but, seriously, my canvas is going on its 18th year, and except for a patch or two where the Bimni and backstay "flirt" with each other, and a few new snaps on the main sail cover, it still looks and functions great. I do clean it regularly and spray 303 restorer on it to keep the water repellant action going. And it sits in a marina deployed much of the time in Cental Florida.

uanhanlouee
Deckhand

Post by uanhanlouee » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:47 pm

I towed at highway speeds (65 mph) in Fl. The top material on a stainless frame stretched and not much later ripped where it had been stretched. Take the bimini down.