Roller bunk trailer

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
Banner_IV
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Roller bunk trailer

Post by Banner_IV »

I did a quick search and did not turn up any results does anyone know If it is feasible or has done a roller bunk trailer for the Mac 26X, it would certainly stop the Mac bump problem.
kurz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Roller bunk trailer

Post by kurz »

Interesting topic. But why you do the macbump? I never. Whats where is the problem without macbump?
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

The Mac bump plants the bow firmly in the trailer V-block. Arguments for it that I can recall: This puts the weight further forward on the trailer - increasing tongue weight. Stiffens the trailer by using the bow to resist some of the tongue load.

Like you - I've never done it, and so far have had no problems.

I believe Sumner orTomfoolery engineered an adjustable V-block mount to eliminate the need to bump. I will likely go this route when I get some time. I just don't like to see the bow 3" back from the v-block. It doesn't bother me enough to bump though.
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

I like doing the bump, so I can enjoy the startled looks on faces in the boat ramp area when I accelerate and then slam on the brakes. :D
beechkingd
Chief Steward

Post by beechkingd »

I've found the macbump useful when doing the bottom paint. Mine slid forward the perfect amount to get the spots where the bunks were.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

beechkingd wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:34 am I've found the macbump useful when doing the bottom paint. Mine slid forward the perfect amount to get the spots where the bunks were.
pure genius
macowneril2015
Engineer
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

Post by macowneril2015 »

Banner_IV wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:05 pm I did a quick search and did not turn up any results does anyone know If it is feasible or has done a roller bunk trailer for the Mac 26X, it would certainly stop the Mac bump problem.
Make sure to have a "bow chain" and the winch connected as i have seen boats with roller bunks dump boats on the ramp.