Single Axle Limitations?

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Single Axle Limitations?

Post by Tomfoolery » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:27 am

Good point. From reading RV forums, ST tires have traditionally been lower speed rated, which in part is how they get the high load capacity than an LT tire of the same size, but the speed ratings have been increasing lately. I don’t know why. Maybe because of all the blowouts travel trailers seem to experience, and the manufacturers don’t put on tires (or axles) any larger than they have to. :P
Tom
Be seeing you . . .

Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:29 am

I went with commercial grade radial tires & I believe they had 4 or more belts & high speed ratings & way more load capacity than I really needed but I do tow at a high speed, but I have a commercial driver's license so towing the boat is a breeze when u r used to driving Semi,s, my only issue was with going over the rockies using the trans in lower gear to stop brakes from over heating as the truck was loaded to capacity but doing so also activates the trl,s surge brakes but I had replaced the tlrs brake pads with higher grade pads that have a much higher heat capacity, so I do recommend doing the upgrades I did & if I was traveling mountain regions a lot I'd go with dual axle brakes, don't understand why anyone would upgrade to a dual axle trl. & not add on the brakes!
J 8)

Be Free
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Be Free » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:21 pm

+1. Two axles; four brakes. Seems like a no-brainer to me. We can argue over surge or electric and disk or drum if you like (in another thread) :D
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D

Inquisitor
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Inquisitor » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:56 pm

Be Free wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:21 pm
+1. Two axles; four brakes. Seems like a no-brainer to me. We can argue over surge or electric and disk or drum if you like (in another thread) :D
My flatbed trailer for my tractor uses the electric brakes... I REALLY like those much better than the ca-chunk every time I touch the brakes on the boat trailer.
Odysseus, expert on the Siren's call