Beaching the Boat

For MacGregor/Venture owners in Australia and discussions about country-specific sailing-related topics.
Mac26Mpaul
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Beaching the Boat

Post by Mac26Mpaul »

Although most old sailing publications seem to have all suggested a scope of 3 to 1 in average conditions, I think its pretty well accepted now that 5 to 1 is the minimum. 7 to 1 is or was considered the scope to have out in a bit of a blow unless its a real bad blow in which case the general consensus is, put out everything you have!

The more scope out the better. The rode should be pulling horizontally along the bottom (and this is the reason you want more chain for the whitsundays with coral rubble bottoms that will cut up your rope rode).

I believe my depth was closer to 3m at high tide in that spot, so I guess if we go by the theory of 7 to 1 in a blow, I should have had "at least" 21 metres out rather than my 18 metres. Still, with an all chain rode, I would have assumed that would be fine in a few meters of water, but I guess not..

Anyway, I'm back to leaving it with two anchors out and I'm fairly confident all will be fine like this.

With an all chain rode it is a good idea to have a snubber. Although the chain provides a kind of spring in the way it rests on the bottom, the chain itself has no give and so if for any reason, it is pulled taut, it can in theory do two things, a) rip your anchor out, or b) rip the fittings out of the boat. I did look at my temporary snubber and came to the conclusion it was not doing its job as its likely just stretched to the point of the chain being taut. The Mac as we know likes to go dancing when on the hook in any wind. I just feel that the combination of waves bouncing her around mixed with her love of dancing has ripped that chain taut and pulled the anchor out of the bottom, probably over and over which let her slowly move downwind 100 metres or so. Before she had that silver rope which has plenty of spring built in...
Berber Boy
First Officer
Location: Paynesville, VIC 3880 AUSTRALIA WindSong 2016 26M 75hp Etec

Post by Berber Boy »

On another related subject. Where do you run out the anchor and chain for the stern and what do you attach it to? Thanks for all your helpful comments

Dave
Mac26Mpaul
Admiral

Post by Mac26Mpaul »

Dave,

The stern anchor currently sits in a bit of PVC| pipe in the motor well. I found out yesterday I have a problem with the motor so I'm bringing the boat in within the next few days (hopefully before the weather hits!). I'll get a photo then
Mac26Mpaul
Admiral

Post by Mac26Mpaul »

It was meant to be a temporary thing actually, but been there for about 4 years I think LOL. The original smaller stern anchor fit in it well with the chain, but I'v long got rid of the small stern anchor. This bigger one still fits pretty snug but I'd stow it if I ended up in big seas.
Not having stern seats, but needing somewhere to mount the dinghy outboard, I have added rails to make a bit of a pushput. The plan is probably to find some sort of a stainless steel cage or something to mount on that for the stern anchor (but on the port side)