moreton island trip wrap

For MacGregor/Venture owners in Australia and discussions about country-specific sailing-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

cestlavie
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

moreton island trip wrap

Post by cestlavie » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:07 pm

i'm on nth side of Brisbane, so tend to stick around scarborough, deception bay, bulwer, tangalooma when that all to brief chance to get on the water comes around. last week i ventured out for a couple of days from shorncliffe to Mud Island, then Kooringal, big sand hill, tangalooma and Cowan before heading to scarborough for pick up.

- I liked the shorncliff ramp, bit steeper got the boat off easy. i need a new trailer so have been reading sunshinecoastings results with glee. i rigged in front of ramp out of the way, didn't put up mast prior to the hairpin turn onto the area the tree was too close\overhang. Usual chasing of fisherfolk reluctantly from the pontoon...

- 9NM and average 2.7kts to Mud island fringing reef was interesting to poke around on SUP, and was nice to anchor out of wind, i've never done Peel or St Helena either, their next.

- 10NM and average 4.0 kts to Kooringal and Sth Moreton, wow. I grew up at Toogoom just nth of Hervey Bay and it was very similar acres and acres of sand flat, grass, dugon, turtle and dolphins. I approached from the nth and inside crab island. As the charts show its very shallow, and i was an hour from low. it was a close shave and the beauty of our boats shone through, dodging the aquaculture, rocks and sand - just. I missed tide to get into that little creek at Kooringal but had no dramas anchoring the night along the long beach in a southerly. good burger and beer at gutter bar, was surprised to see at least a dozen dogs in the area, had assumed they were not permitted on island but guess not.

- i motored west and around crab island through that gutter opposite, with the southerly picking up at high tide. Once i hit 4m i sailed up to the big sand hills 8NM average 3.4kts, again surprised at the shallowness, extent of sand banks, grass. anchored in a meter of water at top of tide and walked over and up the big sand hill. after recovering from that, motored out far enough to sail again up to tangalooma 8.5NM averaging 3.5kts.

- we always anchor out front or at wrecks and this was my first time entering the resort, i was surprised to see high quality facilities, and it was packed with visitors. good on them. Very reasonably priced coffee and pie and i was back in boat. As usual the rolling in the swell was very uncomfortable, so i moved up to cowan looking for some relief from the southerly and swell. I messed around on the SUP for a bit chasing turtles, all fins down, stern anchor was still going to be a bad night. Arvo Weather forecasting a change to a Southwesterly and rain, and as didn't want to finish the trip not enjoying it, i called the missus to pick me up at Scarborough and used new prop to get me the 15NM home in about an hour 15min 'ish uncomfortably punching through swell and spray at 10 to 12 knots. 2 hours after making the call the boats was on trailer and heading for the short trip home.

good trip, love these boats for draft, power and an enjoyable sail. think my next upgrade the jib to a furling genoa

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: moreton island trip wrap

Post by NiceAft » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:42 pm

I enjoy reading the posts from the Australian group. The areas you fellows sail is so different from here. I would have liked to have seen a video of you at big sand hill :)

Ray

trip01
Engineer

Post by trip01 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:36 pm

Cestlavie, enjoyed your story as we could relate to this area. Inside crab island near kooringal has been our choice of anchorage if the westerlies are too much for the wrecks. Enter on high tide from the south. Channel hard to find. Have crossed the bar south of there to get to peel. Was a bit deadly.

DownSouth
Chief Steward

Post by DownSouth » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Pictures?

We love pictures.............!

DownSouth

cestlavie
Deckhand

Post by cestlavie » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:32 am

ere you go..

cest la vie at Kooringal Moreton Island, looking toward Nth Stradbroke Island

big file - Moreton Island Big Sand Hill panorma looking west toward brisbane

Mud Island, North east point.

cestlavie
Deckhand

Post by cestlavie » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:40 am

3 more

Big Sand Hill Moreton Island

leaving Tangalooma Resort

DownSouth
Chief Steward

Post by DownSouth » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:29 pm

Nice thanks, we have relatives on the islands a bit south of there so we hope to be there with the Mac :macx: this time next year -

Yours, dreaming of 20+C

DownSouth