MacGregor M sailing soon in and around Cairns - any tips?

For MacGregor/Venture owners in Australia and discussions about country-specific sailing-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

GreatBarrierReef
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

MacGregor M sailing soon in and around Cairns - any tips?

Post by GreatBarrierReef » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:33 am

Just a quick hello to everyone, and to introduce myself.
I'm Rob, based in Cairns and I have been following this forum for a little while. Last week my wife and I finally bough one of the last :macm: models and we're now very happy :) !

We're planning to sail near Cairns and out to the reef, and occasionally up North and also in the Whitsundays, whenever time permits. We have some sailing experience, but are not professionals and keen to learn from others. Happy to learn on our or any other boat, and learning from others and sharing own experience could also be over a drink at the local pub or yacht club. If any other local MacGregor (or other sailboat owners) are up for a chat, a sail and/or a beer - we're here! :)

Happy sailing everyone and best regards,
Rob

PS: Have you any tips on
- nearby destinations for great snorkeling or diving?
- where to buy marine spare parts (either online or in North Queensland) and
- where to get an Evenrude E-TEC 60 serviced (greater Cairns region)?
I know of Motoco (local Evenrude dealer) and Whitworth marine, but I'm sure there would be a few other experts and other shops that I should consider. All recommendations and ideas are welcome!

sunshinecoasting
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia - "Entropy" Nissan 50 CDI Furling Jib

Re: MacGregor M sailing soon in and around Cairns - any tips

Post by sunshinecoasting » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:25 am

Hi Rob,

Welcome aboard, Cairns has an RTM (Road Tech Marine) which is a great store, owned by Jaycar and especially strong in electronics and lighting etc. Having worked for Whitworths I wont spend my money there as although they have a good range of products at reasonable prices they are a mongrel company to their staff and living in the dark ages, I just cant support them. I'd love to come up for a sail but alas work gets in the way. I am just about to spend 9 days aboard though right here on the Sunshine Coast playing with the whales. If you're ever down this way give me a yell, I will show you life aboard an :macx:

Cheers, Dennis.

kmclemore
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:16 am

I can vouch for Dennis... he's a great fellow sailor and clearly knows his way around eastern OZ. We had a wonderful sail with him on his MacX only last year. I'd take him up on his offer, Rob!

cestlavie
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by cestlavie » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:29 pm

Lucky you! incredible locations and weather.

2 good handbooks that have wealth of info and what i find the most specifically useful, any local 'quirks'

1. Cruising North Qld - Murray Neilson [should be available at local public library] and
2. Cruising the coral Coast - Alan Lucas

In this day of online and an app for everything, i wasn't keen on spending the big bucks for '1000 magic miles - David Colefelt' for our Whitsundays trip but it was very useful and reassuring to have and review with a brew\beer each day, i found it great for targeting / looking for night anchorages. Trying to hold anchor in 18m of water behind the coral protection buoys in big tides and strong currents in the middle of the night got old fast, so having consolidated details on the number and location of public moorings and locations was brilliant and gave a sense of control\predictability.

Wish i was back there now!

CestLa Vie sheltering in Hill Inlet, Whithaven Beach ahead of a big storm - looking down from the Lookout

My favourite photo ever, still at HilL Inlet, storm on the way. Rough and wet night for everyone else, while we were snug in the creek and behind the dunes - -love a trailor sailor