quick Great Sandy Straight trip

For MacGregor/Venture owners in Australia and discussions about country-specific sailing-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

cestlavie
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

quick Great Sandy Straight trip

Post by cestlavie » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:11 pm

A quick monday to thursday trip from Tin Can Bay to Kingfisher and back, approx 80NM all up.

Monday; drive up from brisbane about 3.5hours,the road to TCB from Gympie was much better than i expected with just the odd bridge or repair causing concern and heaps of parking at rampwith a good pontoon. 40 minutes to rig\pack\launch and get under way. 10 -15Knt SE blusterly winds with a handy outgoing tide. Was midday by the time we pushed off, and had a great sail under reef all the way up to Garrys Anchorage comfortably averagng 4 to 5 knts. I did stupidly breifly ground at the southern enterance to Garrys by being to far north in the channel by looking at water color in arvo sun, rater than trusting chart plotter. Approx 20NM.

A beatiful relaxing evening and calm night, 2 skeeter coils to keep bighties away, family selfie under the croc warning sign.

Tuesday; light variable winds in morning so we motored against the tide up to Kingfisher. Tooled around the resort pools, cafes and shops for the afternoon generaly having a fun relaxing time.
The crew love the SUPs', but not at night or for food \shower runs, so i rolled the dice on one of those ebay weed wacker 1.5hp 4 stroke aircooled outboards $240, to put on an INtex Excursion 4 inflatable raft we already had. Not the sexiest tenders but it did exactly what we wanted, only problem being its as half as long as the boat and wider.... Loud but not as loud as the 2 strokes and i stayed away from other boats.
Winds built to very strong Northerlies in the afternoon which held all night and into wednesday midday. We followed the lead of another TS that had beached right up at high water mark, to get away from the northerlies and swell for a very comfortable night. Due to the wind i didn't use mozzy coil, and they stiched us up during a very breif lull at dawn.

Wednesday; strong northerlies continued in morning, boat refloated around 7am, and after a quick breakfast we moored out futher to make a getaway later that day. We did the 11km each way walk to Lake Mckenzie which was tiring but rewarding. Great swim there even with strong winds, and good swim and shower back at kingfisher prior to an early tea of burgers at the sand bar. Everyone was very sore and full of sand but the shower and fresh cloths and full belly was brilliant.

We decided to head south and knock a little time off the return to TCB even at 5pm with winds dying out, and made it as far as South White cliffs before loosing the light completely and settled in for another great calm night at that anchorage nook.

Thursday;Woke to clearing rain, Freesh SE again so had to motor all the way back to TCB. NIce calm 3.5 hour motoring at 9 kts, using the high tide to take many direct routes and didn't groud once, did however get to 1m a couple of times. Back at ramp at 11:40, managed not to make an arse of myself mooring with wind pushing hard out and current pushing hard in. on the road by 12;30 and home about 4even with stopping for take away.

- very happy with the addition of two 60x120cm plywood boards to create a double bunk across the cabin seats, the cushons fit perfectly turned sideways with blanket covering and the kids loved the area so much we left it upmost of the time. Now refered to as the captains suite.
- the little 1.5hp was great for what it is and pushed the raft along at 3KTS which beats rowing...
- INtec Excusion 4 inflatable raft - fits the crew and gear and kept all dry, but is just too big,can't tow it so we pulled it up front laying across, sticking a good meter out each side and blocing the front hatch. Will look at a small light dory\pram\punt that can sit upside down at front now.
- put some racks in for SUP holders, still not happy with them being so high, now looking at simply crossed straps off the staunchens to get them lower.
- i would love to spend a full week at Sth White cliffs and explore those creeks and gutters.
-i still need a new trailer, will be so much less stress on crap roads with a tandem...
- really only sailed from TCB t Garrys and motored the other 60NM at 4000RPM @ 9KTS, using 60 litres of feul

-

sunshinecoasting
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia - "Entropy" Nissan 50 CDI Furling Jib

Re: quick Great Sandy Straight trip

Post by sunshinecoasting » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:50 pm

Great report, fun trip for such a short time. I was wondering about those little outboard motors myself recently as I sometimes tow a similar inflatable but am sick of oars. I am having next week off to spend a week in Mooloolaba marina sailing each day whale watching, its something I do the same week every year, well worth it, whales are very friendly up here and seem attracted to our boat for some reason so we always get a good close encounter or ten. I'm planning a longer trip to TCB so I can sail up to the top of Fraser early next year at this stage, I am always happy to read other peoples adventures in that part of the world. If you ever decide to come spend some sailing time in Mooloolaba give me a yell, happy to give you the local hints and tricks.

Cheers, Dennis.

cestlavie
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: quick Great Sandy Straight trip

Post by cestlavie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:26 pm

thanks dennis will take you up that soon, keen to see your trailer as well. The northerlies have made me chicken for this week tho.....