Prospective Macgregor owner in Brisbane

For MacGregor/Venture owners in Australia and discussions about country-specific sailing-related topics.
Javboat
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Prospective Macgregor owner in Brisbane

Post by Javboat »

Hi All,

After looking and dreaming of a Macgregor since 2013 (we looked at a new one at the importers shop on the Gold Coast, but bought a Cuddy Cabin speed boat instead due to available funds at the time), we have finally decided to sell our current speed boat and upgrade to a Macgregor. Still on the fence with a :macx: or :macm: , it will depend on what comes along in good condition and at the right price - both models seem excellent.

We live in Brisbane and I was hoping a local Macgregor owner would be going sailing one weekend soon and wouldn’t mind an extra crew member for the day? I’m keen to get on the water in one and to lean more about them for when we are looking.

Also open to any suggestions on Mac’s that might be up for sale soon.

We look forward to joining the Australian Mac community.

Regards,
Chris
sunshinecoasting
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia - "Entropy" Nissan 50 CDI Furling Jib

Re: Prospective Macgregor owner in Brisbane

Post by sunshinecoasting »

I wish I had read this last week, I had my :macx: in the water from the 21st to the 28th, would happily have taken you for a spin, sorry about that but I don't plan on any more trips for a couple of months. Happy to help in any other way though, just let me know. Cheers, Dennis.
Javboat
Just Enlisted

Post by Javboat »

No worries, thanks Dennis. I might just need to PM you at some stage :)
cestlavie
Deckhand

Post by cestlavie »

Ditto for my recent trip into Dennis territory, trap.

They are unbelieVable value for money boats, in order of $$ issue to look at when buying

1. Trailer - rust on critical joints - mine looked ok but collapsed on Airlie beach ramp, where the frame joins main drawbar at front, rust was hidden inside the join.$5500 to 9000.if a new one is required.because the trailerATM is ovEr 1tonne you must get a safety certificate to register in Qld.
2. Outboard - service history is king, $7000 to 9000 for a new 60HP 2 stroke or 4 stroke if needed. Check it at least idles smoothly, changes years without grinding and pumps water, a simple compression test is easy to do and great piece of mind, Color of oil, unscrew gearbox plug or filler to get a look for any water or emulsified oil pointing to leaks.
3. Sails, particularY jib/ Genoa if left rigged on hardstanding all year will rot - let it loose and check for tears.can get budget jib/ genoas for under $900 and mainsails around $1000 delivered from US.(BUdget versions !!)
4. Batteries - replace anyway with marine starting and or quality deep cycle $200+ each
4. Feul tanks and hose - replace with 4 X 22 l hulk from withworth anywayY so it's super easy to fill up, about $70 each.
5. As any FG boat, condition of gelcoat, mines terrible but the little buffing and polishing I do has big results
6. Rigging - replace anyway from BW. Yachts

Also be aware the M has 2 layouts, my 2003 has the galley fixed up against the hEad wall, perpendicular to the keel, whereas most M have a slidinG GalleY I admire as you can push it to back and have full standing cooking. Each has advantages.
I wouldn't be concerned about having an X or an M - I can only tell difference from the 2 black stripes on the M.

Modifications are crazy and endless- i just put in a fridge and 180w solar panel, checkout sailboatmikes posts - I'm going to do his autopilot project next (also check his posts into the trailer sailor forum website they are awesome, our boats get a lot of derision as caravans with a mast and big outboard from armchair fleet admiral keyboard warriors, but there's 10 times more of ours built than other models and that says it all - he gives it to them and it's hilarious, one day they'll just ban him and I'll lose thaT entertainment.

Dennis if you manage to get out for whale watching this season give us a heads up I'd like to follow along -

I'm keen to do 1770 to lady MusGrave in July school holidaYs if anyone is interested, and weather window is available.
Javboat
Just Enlisted

Post by Javboat »

Hi Cestlavie,

That info is gold, I have saved it to my phone, Thanks.

I hadn’t realised there was the 2 different galley styles in the :macm: until last week when I saw one for sale in Sydney with the fixed layout (casting the net wide for the right one). As you say, both have their advantages/disadvantages.

I look forward to catching up with the Brisbane and surrounds Mac owners one day.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Chris
sunshinecoasting
First Officer
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia - "Entropy" Nissan 50 CDI Furling Jib

Hey Chris, good news, I am putting my boat back in the water (Mooloolaba) for 4 days from the 14th to 17th of June, 2 weeks away, if you are still keen on a sail then let me know, I am sure we can arrange a suitable time, maybe on Saturday if you work? I work but have the Thursday off and Friday is a local show holiday here.

Just reply here if you are interested.

Cheers, Den.
Javboat
Just Enlisted

Post by Javboat »

Hi Dennis,

That would be great. Saturday or Sunday would be awesome.

I’m looking at a couple of Mac’s at the moment so may even have one soon, but I’m still keen to come for a sail and “learn the ropes” so to speak.

I will PM you my mobile number etc.

Thanks and regards,
Chris
sunshinecoasting
First Officer

No worries Chris, Probably Sunday would be best but I do intend to pull the boat out of the water by 1pm at the latest so it would need to be no later than a 9am start to give us a few hours good sailing weather permitting. Let me know, cheers. Den.
Javboat
Just Enlisted

Post by Javboat »

Hi Dennis,

With a bit of luck, I have managed to successfully PM you my details. On the off chance that hasn’t worked, could you PM me yours and I will give you a call. Thanks
Javboat
Just Enlisted

Post by Javboat »

Hi All,

We are now the proud new owners of a :macm: :) . Time for the elbow grease getting some maintenance done and then onto the water for some shakedown sails soon.

Soon to be named, will let you know what’s she is called after that. When I work out how to post photos I will post one up.

See you on the water.
Chris
DownSouth
Chief Steward

Post by DownSouth »

Pictures are required of course!

Well done on the purchase.

DownSouth
Javboat
Just Enlisted

Post by Javboat »

So with a bit of luck, attached below will be a photo of our new :macm:

I’ve been doing quite a few jobs to her and I will post some of the end results up soon.

Also, hope to have her named this weekend,

sunshinecoasting
First Officer

Hey Chris, she's a clean looking boat, I look forward to seeing her up this way soon. :wink:
cestlavie
Deckhand

Post by cestlavie »

So clean!! Looks brand new - congrats!
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

Congrats, she look a beauty

Welcome aboard the Macgregor owners club, believe me people (aka real sailors as they call themselves) will try and put down you Mac, BUT we all love our Macs and they ALWAYS get admiring looks at the ramp or driving down the road I think the "real sailors" are just jealous.

On a final note of welcome, also welcome to being POOR, buying a sail boat is the best way to make a rich man poor and a poor man poorer.

Enjoy, I'm sure you will and make many many great memories, remember to take plenty of photos to make everyone jealous