aargh that was rough,, AKA Scarborough to Mooloolaba return

For MacGregor/Venture owners in Australia and discussions about country-specific sailing-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

cestlavie
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

aargh that was rough,, AKA Scarborough to Mooloolaba return

Post by cestlavie » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:24 pm

1-2m swell, northerlies 10-15knt with strong gusts, rain. 12/13 April.

Haven't been for a sail in 6 months and looks like another 3 before the next so come hull or high swell it was on like donky kong.

Should have gone south into Moreton bay around the islands but wanted to cross this trip off the list.

Heading up under power was very rough, the waves really stood up coming around the bottom of bribie and then again around the caloundra channel turn. Buried the nose 3 times which was new, glad i fixed the leaky front hatch.

Crossed the mooloolaba bar at low tide but aced it much to the dissapointment of many cameras on the rock walls - seriuosly they need to fix that enterance its ridiculous at low tide. trawler got stuck same weekend.

Looked for denis' boat on way up river to Mooloolah Island and anchored over night, dinner with relos' at nearby house - awesome.

Heading back next morning under clear skies, but no wind and a 1m swell still coming in from NE. Wind picked up near bottom of bribie around lunch and we finally got a good 3 hours sailing in to beechmere and then scarborough. Laid her over hard a couple of time while the crew took turns learning to sail which was uncomfortable and anxiuos, but they loved it and a great learning experirnce.
Dropped the teenagers off who headed back for a party, i went back up to Beechmere and spent the night in the caboolture river was perfect, back the next morning to pull out and get home.

about 36NM each way, under power we got up in about 5 hours, longer on way home as we sailed around bramble bay and stopped for lunch on Bribie

Happy with and continue to feel very safe in the mac, 1770 to Lady Musgrave island up next !!

Scarborough marina drop off
a quieter part of the trip up
http://users.tpg.com.au/lpsalter/174F84 ... 760938.MOV

trawler grounding
https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/n ... s/3385586/

Javboat
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: aargh that was rough,, AKA Scarborough to Mooloolaba ret

Post by Javboat » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:59 am

Sounds like a great trip. I always enjoy it when the swell is up, my family does not share the same passion for the bigger waves though :D Thanks for sharing