Come on, Admirals - it's a new season

A forum geared more towards feminine thought as it relates to sailing.

Moderator: Valerie

Sea Dreamer
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Come on, Admirals - it's a new season

Post by Sea Dreamer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:46 pm

Have you started your sailing season yet? What are you doing to get ready? Share your tips for preparing your boat, your family and most importantly yourself for a fun filled sailing season. Wouldn't someone like to start a thread on favorite sailing destinations - what can you see and do there? (No guys, not you - this is between us women-folk! I'm sure our ideas of good sailing destinations are way different) A lot of you have children - let's talk about boating and the kids. And on a non-boating theme - I'm about to become a first time Grandma. Advice for me? Not just the Grandma's, but Mom's how do your kids' Grandma's drive you nuts? I gotta know the best ways to spoil this kid. :wink: Let's get things cooking here in the Admiral's Galley...
Clarissa

Valerie
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Come on, Admirals - it's a new season

Post by Valerie » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:59 am

Clarissa,
Nice to hear from you, I had almost given up on getting anyone to respond.. I didn't actually think that your sailing season was about to start as ours is about to finish. Although I sail all year round, we are about to enter Winter but I've heard that our winters here in Oz are not as cold as yours :wink:

We have just spent Easter sailing the gippsland lakes in Victoria, Australia... absolutely glorious weather. And hopefully I've drummed up some participants in this forum. Hopefully!

I am a Grandmother by default with 5 comming on 6 of them and Yikes!! I'm not 50 yet :| Great revenge on your own kids are certainly the obvious noisy , messy gifts :D

Come on fellow Admirals .... we need you to make this work....

Valerie

Mrs_Skipper
Deckhand

Post by Mrs_Skipper » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:25 pm

I'm new to the forum... would love to have more discussion with other ladies on Macs. I'm just getting the basics down, but I can definitely see myself thinking about decor and the like sometime in the near future.

Just starting up the season with a 3-night stay (never out for more than one night before), I found many deficiencies in my meal planning and ice stowage that didn't show up with an overnight. Mainly I rely on a lot of yummy, pre-packaged things from Trader Joe's that take up too much room in the cooler and create too much trash. I also nearly ran out of ice. :?

Kelly Hanson East
Admiral
Location: Kelly Hanson Marine........Mac 26M Dealer......Freedom Boat Works

Post by Kelly Hanson East » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:04 am

Here is an ice trick

Freeze a one-gallon jug of water into a solid block - with a decent cooler and two of these, you will get 5 days+ of 0 Centigrade performance.

(just returned from Cuttyhunk with 4 girl crew - our coolers lasted Sunday through Friday with this setup)

Mrs_Skipper
Deckhand

Post by Mrs_Skipper » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:43 am

Gallon jugs are a MUCH better idea than the 12-oz water bottles I used! :wink:

How did the girly outing go?

Kelly Hanson East
Admiral
Location: Kelly Hanson Marine........Mac 26M Dealer......Freedom Boat Works

Post by Kelly Hanson East » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:30 pm

Absolutely Awesome!!!

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Mrs_Skipper
Deckhand

Post by Mrs_Skipper » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:17 am

Looks like a great crew you've got there! The guests will probably remember this trip their entire lives; what a great dad you are! :D