Some sailing books geared to Admirals

A forum geared more towards feminine thought as it relates to sailing.
Kelly Hanson East
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Kelly Hanson Marine........Mac 26M Dealer......Freedom Boat Works

Some sailing books geared to Admirals

Post by Kelly Hanson East »

My Admiral picked these up from Amazon last week....

Living a Dream (female perspective on the cruising life)
It's Your Boat Too (more on all kinds of boating as opposed to just cruising)

both by Commander Suzanne Giesemann USN (Ret)

Care and Feeding of Sailing Crew (Lynn and Larry Pardy)

Changing Course - A Womans Guide to the Cruising Life by Debra Ann Cantrell

If we had to recommend one, it would be Its Your Boat Too. (Since I actually read them, I knew to ask her for her opinion.... :wink: :wink: )
Sea Dreamer
Deckhand

Re: Some sailing books geared to Admirals

Post by Sea Dreamer »

Oooo! I'm gonna have to get that one. I have a couple of books that are pretty good. The Perfect First Mate by Joy Smith and The Cruising Woman's Advisor by Diana Jessie. I like The Perfect First Mate better because it gives alot of hints for the casual boater. (The cover says "A woman's guide to recreational boating") and that's pretty much what it is. It covers everything from what to bring and how to pack it to what to do with your 4-legged crew members, to what kinds of food are quick and easy, and how to store it. She relates alot of the info in a how the guys see things vs. how we girls see things, and adds alot of humor to it. I got the Capt's attention just because of how often I spontaneously busted out in laughter while reading it. The Crusing Woman's Advisor is more geared more towards the long distance cruiser, and the author's writing in frequently quite dry, however I did find quite a bit of good stuff in it.

I've also read 2 books written by Tania Aebi - Maiden Voyage and I've Been Around. Wow, she's one amazing woman! Maiden Voyage is the story of her 2.5 year solo around the world cruise - begun when she was 18 years old. The other book goes into some of her other adventures as she 'matured' - ok grew up. I highly recommend them both. They're definitely a confirmation that what a person sets her/his mind to, they can accomplish.

Have any of you other ladies read any good sailing books? Please share!

Clarissa
Kelly Hanson East
Admiral
Location: Kelly Hanson Marine........Mac 26M Dealer......Freedom Boat Works

Post by Kelly Hanson East »

"If the Shoe Fits" by Rae Ellen Lee

A funny book about an Admiral's midlife venture into the world of boating by virtue of her new relationship.

One of the best lines is her first venture into a marina and wondering why every boat has a toilet seat upside down on the rails....(life rings)
Mrs_Skipper
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Mrs_Skipper »

Sailing: A Woman's Guide by Doris Colgate is an essential for any new sailor, male or female. My father-in-law, who has sailed for 50 years, gave me this book when I first started sailing. It explains everything about sailboats and sailing in plain language and with lots of pictures and diagrams. When I met Mr. Skipper and introduced him to sailing, he devoured this book too. :wink: