Tattoo Yachts

Mac26Mpaul
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Tattoo Yachts

Post by Mac26Mpaul »

Hi Andrew,

I have to agree with Russ and just about everyone who has an M...

Your 6 foot missus will not like the original head door, or any head door on the M head.

We finally decided to take our M head door off after about 3.5 years and it is SO MUCH BETTER WITHOUT IT, giving you heaps more room, also leaves a handy place for some bulkhead storage.

I got some curtain wire and we were going to just make a curtain but we havn't even bothered with that as yet. When it comes to number 2s, the general rule is for everyone else to go out to the cockpit anyway on our boat.

I'v now cut my head door up and used some of it for a galley mod...
LMSharp
Just Enlisted

Post by LMSharp »

Hi all!

We really appreciate macgregorsailors.com adding a Tattoo forum. You are a very engaged bunch with a lot of experience and some great ideas. Frankly, I am a complete newbie at forums in general, but I will check back in on a regular basis.

If I commit any forum faux pas, please let me know!

Having lived in and around boat factories since before I could walk, our new factory in Florida is just an extension of a lifetime spent boat building. My first job was doing gel repair n the summer at MacGregor Yacht Corporation. Luckily I now have people who do it for me, but I am still on the production floor for a big part of the day.

If I can be of assistance or answer questions feel free to ask me anything! If I don't have a good answer I’ll just make one up… (No, not really, but I may have to refer you to someone who knows more than I do)

Laura MacGregor Sharp
LMSharp
Just Enlisted

Post by LMSharp »

While I’m online:

We have been in production at Tattoo Yachts for about 6 months now. We have dealers in 9 US states, 4 Canadian provinces, and 22 other countries. Some were Mac dealers, and some are new. It has taken some time to fill the pipeline but most dealers have their first boats or they are in transit., and some retail owners have boats.

The Tattoo 26 has been in boat shows in Southampton UK, Düsseldorf Germany, Seattle, Portland, Long Beach, San Diego, Annapolis, and Atlanta. Upcoming shows include Montreal, Helsinki and Dubai.

As MacGregor did, we rely on our dealers to participate in boat shows. We will do some shows in Florida where we sell direct, but not until we get a bigger building and can shorten our backlog.

A backlog is good, but getting more volume out the door is better. We are in negotiation for a building 3 times the size of our current one, which will allow us to shorten lead times and get the new Tattoo 22 online. Had we known my parents would retire we would have started in a bigger building. Hindsight is 20-20.

The price of a standard boat and trailer is $24,900. We have elected not to put the price on our website as this is the ex-works price. The price delivered to a dealer will obviously be higher, depending on the cost of shipping. Many assumed that the posted MacGregor price was delivered anywhere in the world, which caused confusion.

We have a good response to the head curtain. Almost every Mac owner I spoke to at Annapolis said they had removed their head doors.

Our table can be installed in a Mac, but only in the up position as we modified the hull liner mold to accommodate it. We don’t offer them yet, but they will be available in the next few months.

Whew- that was long winded but I had some catching up to do!

All the best!
Laura MacGregor Sharp
mrron_tx
First Officer

Post by mrron_tx »

Good to hear from You Ms Laura, and hope the building works out soon :) I would like to come over and take a tour :D Ron. :macm: Dauntless.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Laura,

Thanks for your posting. It's always nice to hear (read) that a manufacturer is aware and receptive to getting our comments.

I always thought that MacGregor, by posting its low entry level price to sailing, was smart. It allows dreamers to become owners. Your father was masterful at marketing the dream. An example was showing a Ford Taurus pulling a Mac. I guess he never told the Taurus what he wanted it to do.

I'm just a board member, but I thank you for expressing an interest in what we post on this board.

Ray
EZ
Engineer

Post by EZ »

Laura,

It's always great to hear comments from a manufacturer.

As a current 26m owner I will share my thoughts on the T26. Keep in mind I have not seen the T26 yet and my comments are based on pictures and observations from others.

-Traveler - my understanding is that it is gone. I like the traveler bc I can swing it to the side for cabin access. Also, it allows me to sail fairly well w/o a vang which saves setup time for trailering.

- Trailer - IMHO you got this right. Galv tongue and ability to float the boat on are big pluses. In a few years, if the price is right, I will trade up to this.

- window stripes - The reduced stripe area is a big improvement. On my M I can often feel the heat from the sun beating down on those stripes from inside the cabin. IMHO an "albino" boat would be more desirable.

- T22 galley - I think being able to slide the galley w/o lifting cushions is a really nice feature. It would be nice to see this on the T26.

If you have the chance, I would love to hear a response on these comments. Thanks again for posting.

-Vince
yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob »

You can put me down for a new table once they become available :)
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Wow, how cool to hear from Laura directly!

More reason to have high hopes for this new brand.

--Russ
John McDonough
First Officer

Post by John McDonough »

So if I really want a t-22, I`ll have to to be patient.??

I thought a 22` would be to small. But after watching Shackelton`s Advenure & tracking Shackelton. I think I could enjoy the 22 with maybe a 25-40 hp motor.. I might even call it the ______. What was Shackelton first name anyway.?
If Shackeltown could sailed 800 miles thru the southern artic Ocean with 6 men for 10 days in sub-zero temps. So can I.??

The feat of a 22` Sailboat-boat.
http://www.pbs.org/search/?q=chasing%20shackleton
yukonbob
Admiral

Post by yukonbob »

Ernest
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

How serious do you want him to be :?: :?: Just give John his answer :P :D
yukonbob
Admiral

Post by yukonbob »

:D :D :D I'll be Frank with you...
John McDonough
First Officer

Post by John McDonough »

If Shackeltown could sailed 800 miles thru the southern artic Ocean , 6 men for 10 days in sub-zero temps. So can I.??

:) :) OOPS 800 miles thru the Southern. sea, 6 men, 10 days, Sub zero temps,
I missed a few 0`s (zero)
I was thinking more like 80 miles, The mighty Ohio river, 6 Go-Go dancers, 10 hours, 90 degrees.

:tat: -22, Hull #22 ERNIE.. (Maybe)
r
mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb »

Laura, serious question about the mainsheet attachment in the cockpit: I saw the T26 at San Diego's boat show last week, and noted the location of the mainsheet attachment as a padeye on the centerline of the cockpit forward seat directly abaft the companionway. The mainsheet was not attached on the show boat, and It seems to me that that location would be even more "in the middle of things" than the companionway traveller on the 26M.

Is it really actually more convenient of a location?

Any chance you've retained the same amount of glass layup for the companionway that a traveller track could be retrofit for people who prefer it?

Have you perhaps considered dual mainsheets from the cabin forward stanchions if you really want something out of the way? This arrangement would also work as a preventer for gybes, but most importantly provides real traveller-like directionality without the cockpit space concerns and the only issue being two mainsheets to manage. Granted that's a lot of bitter end to deal with but most of us let our lines drop into the cabin while underway.

Anyway, I just didn't see how the cockpit location would be an improvement.
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

As long as this is "ask Laura"...
How about offering a blue water option, as ww potter does? Like a bit more fiberglass on the sides of the yacht, and maybe a sheer stringer so the sides weren't so fragile. That could consist of a glassed in stringer inside the sheer, so the lower edge of the liner would sit right down on it. Would that make the boat stiffer and stronger with little additional weight? I hardly ever trailer, then it's only for a few miles. An extra few hundred pounds of fiberglass isn't going to make a big difference in that respect. I understand the era of 3/4 inch glass hulls is over, but the amount of flex in windy conditions is quite apparent.
Another thing might be to offer interior modules for storage, that any m or tat could use. They could be removed easily, and made of the same wood as everything else. They could be shipped flat and assembled easily. I made one for clothing and books that sits on the long berth with two screws. I really like it, since I spend a lot of time aboard. Pick the three or four best storage mods on this board and offer them as options.
Ix.