Tattoo Yachts

BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Tattoo Yachts

Post by BOAT »

Sounds like Bill is the right person to buy a boat from. If I ever need that tattoo 22 I will look him up.

I'm pretty sure my boat purchases for my life are pretty much over. The next step for me will be not being able to handle the 26 when I'm really old because it's too big. At that point in my life if I think I have the health to do it I would opt for a smaller boat. The Tattoo 22 would be a perfect fit I think.
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

sorry, but what would be eayier in a :tat22: ?
You will be squeezed more... but the will probable be the same
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

If the tat 22 is similar in layout to the v22.2 then, there won't be a ladder you have to step down. It would also have less sail. The best boat would be a cat rig with lazy jacks and all the control lines in the cockpit. Or a catrig with in mast furling. Put a reliable windlass upfront with 150 feet of light chain and a 35 pound anchor that fits into a space in the bow of the boat. The boat will stay pretty much no matter what with that. Less chance of dealing with anchors in bad weather. No need to ever go up front. Some people say they have that now, but I doubt they have that type of anchor system. Extreme overkill. That's what it's going to take to not have to do the two anchor thing, anchor on short scope in crowded places Ect. The bow needs to be designed from the start to house the anchor attractively. Forget the bow rollers. Even best case, those still look crappy.
That's a boat you could sail until your hips heart or head completely gave out.
Ix
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson »

Well, you know, I've had my :macx: since 2011. Got a very nice anchor (I suppose). Never used it once. We don't actually sit still much once we're out - not that we're necessarilly moving very fast - if at all when becalmed. :P
Ixneigh wrote:If the tat 22 is similar in layout to the v22.2 then, there won't be a ladder you have to step down. It would also have less sail. The best boat would be a cat rig with lazy jacks and all the control lines in the cockpit. Or a catrig with in mast furling. Put a reliable windlass upfront with 150 feet of light chain and a 35 pound anchor that fits into a space in the bow of the boat. The boat will stay pretty much no matter what with that. Less chance of dealing with anchors in bad weather. No need to ever go up front. Some people say they have that now, but I doubt they have that type of anchor system. Extreme overkill. That's what it's going to take to not have to do the two anchor thing, anchor on short scope in crowded places Ect. The bow needs to be designed from the start to house the anchor attractively. Forget the bow rollers. Even best case, those still look crappy.
That's a boat you could sail until your hips heart or head completely gave out.
Ix
K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers »

BOAT wrote:...The next step for me will be not being able to handle the 26 when I'm really old because it's too big. At that point in my life if I think I have the health to do it I would opt for a smaller boat. The Tattoo 22 would be a perfect fit I think.
Who buys a smaller car when they're too old to drive?
If it were me, I'd get a bigger boat with more wenches!! 8)

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Ditto :)
K9Kampers wrote:
BOAT wrote:...The next step for me will be not being able to handle the 26 when I'm really old because it's too big. At that point in my life if I think I have the health to do it I would opt for a smaller boat. The Tattoo 22 would be a perfect fit I think.
Who buys a smaller car when they're too old to drive?
If it were me, I'd get a bigger boat with more wenches!! 8)

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

What bigger boat are you guys gonna buy that you can tow on a trailer??

Please enlighten me.
K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers »

Trailer?? I'd be older and have a bigger boat with more wenches!!
Who needs a trailer? Ain't nobody got time for that!!
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

That's what I thought.

Old men don't sail big boats - their crew does (or their money) - depending on the century. I have neither.

Having a crew, or having the money for a slipped boat with all the auto gadgets to sail it instead of a crew is great but both are for rich old men, not old men.
Adamastor
Just Enlisted

Post by Adamastor »

Such a pity the world economy and a badly run South African government has put a new Tattoo 26 virtually out of reach of many a potential owner down here in the South of Africa.

By way of comparison, at ex factory pricing to the end user:
2012 (US$ 1 = ZAR 8:50)
MacGregor 26M - US$ 20 400 = ZAR 173 400

2013 (US$ 1 = ZAR 10.80)
Tattoo 26 - US$ 22 400 = ZAR 241 920

2014/15 (US$ 1 = ZAR 11.60)
Tattoo 26 - US$ 26 400 = ZAR 306 240

Now if you add sea freight, some nice to haves, a bit of electronics, a descent outboard, duties and taxes...
You are looking at nearly ZAR 600 000 - ouch!

At this rate I doubt if we will soon see a Tattoo in real life in South Africa :cry:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... 01483&No=0
The link above provides info on some 450 yachts in the price range US$ 45 to 50 000, which makes spending that kind of money on a new Tattoo even less likely.