Tattoo Yachts

Moderators: Catigale, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Tattoo Yachts

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:43 am

A solar shower and curtain hung from the boom would take the least space, using a location already designed to get wet and self drain, and packs up in seconds for storage would solve those problems. Could even use pressurized water by adding a quick-connect in the cockpit somewhere, if an onboard water heater and pump is used.

Or just give the other boaters a thrill/chill, depending on physique. :wink:

BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by BOAT » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:47 am

Agreeeeeed fer sure - in fact my shower (portable) will also fit out in the cockpit and like you said in those cases no pump needed - my big problem is the wife. I could never get here to take a shower out in the cockpit.

kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:07 pm

BOAT wrote:Agreeeeeed fer sure - in fact my shower (portable) will also fit out in the cockpit and like you said in those cases no pump needed - my big problem is the wife. I could never get here to take a shower out in the cockpit.
Ahhh.. that's one of my favorite views in the morning... she still has the figure of a 20-year-old* and showers in the cockpit whenever we're out and alone. Sigh.... I could watch her doing that all day long...

The Admiral and I take our hot showers using one of these Zodi Extreme devices, pictured below, simply heated up on the stove. Heat the water, install the handle/pump assembly and pump it up to pressure (like a garden sprayer). It has a thermal strip on the side to tell you the temperature of the water. It does one shower per fill and that hot water feels great in the morning. It gets stowed below the aft seat next to the galley. Also serves second duty as a water sprayer to clean off the deck.

(* ...and I understand that 20-year-old wants it back!)

Brian
Chief Steward
Location: Austin, TX 2006 26M "Soñador" white hull MACM0852G506 TLDI 90

Post by Brian » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:02 pm

I like the Whale shower faucet at the aft end of the cockpit option in the new Tattoo 26:

http://tattooyachts.com/options/

For those of us in warmer climates that don't really need to heat the water this would be a great option.
Not just for showering, but also for cooking, cleaning fish, washing hands, washing the cockpit, etc.

Whale makes a flush mounted shower that you would only have to drill a hole to mount, provided that
there is enough space available inside the bulkhead (about 14" x 28"):

http://www.westmarine.com/whale-pumps-- ... 31_001_514

The only issue for me is that I don't have a pressure water system. I use an electric on-demand pump for
The galley sink faucet:

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/in ... ?view=1166

Has anyone attempted to install a cockpit shower at the aft end of the cockpit? Some of you might have an
Even better solution…

BTW, I like most of the tweaks that Tattoo has done. Look for "The Tattoo 26 differs from the MacGregor 26 as follows:" in their faqs page:

http://tattooyachts.com/faqs/

Those little improvements really go a long way...

RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:37 pm

I have a dealer installed cockpit shower (recessed Whale type) running on an on-demand pump. No pressure tank. Sink runs on same pump.

SKJOLD
Sailboat: I'm Shopping

Post by SKJOLD » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:59 pm

BOAT wrote:A shower is an interesting thing that is in my opinion essential, but also a huge waste of space for something that is used for only 10 minutes a day or every other day.

The shower should be treated like one of your tools; something you pull out when you need it and put away when not in use. The only things that should have dedicate floor space in your boat are things that are used several times a day; (galley, sink, reefer, head, etc . . .)

The perfect place for a shower on the 26M is right at the foot of the ladder. So for ten minutes you block the companionway to hang the shower curtain and get clean. Big deal - the companionway will still be closed anyway if your just getting out of bed or getting ready to go to bed anyways, so why not use that space so you can clean up. That way the head is still free so someone else can crap while your in the shower.

My shower "box" will cover that little floor space at the base of the ladder and the lid of the "box" will attach to the sliding top - that's where all the head room is in a MAC. The rear berth is already set up as the best place for holding tanks and a pump. All sailboats use a pump for the shower drain - they are available from RULE and others for reasonable prices.

Re-creating the entire boat just to have a shower that will be used for ten minutes a day seems extreme to me, but it's only an opinion. The X has a good set-up if you must have a dedicated shower space.
Perhaps a shower kit can be stowed in the head of a 26M? I have not been inside a 26M. I believe to install one in a 26X is doable.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:08 pm

The shower I am building will probably stow under the rear berth.

Nautek
First Officer

Post by Nautek » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:26 am

Just a thought
For those that use your mac in trawler mode
You could fill your water ballast tank with fresh water and have plenty of water for showers

Allan

kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:36 am

Nautek wrote:Just a thought
For those that use your mac in trawler mode
You could fill your water ballast tank with fresh water and have plenty of water for showers

Allan
I'm sorry, Allan,I don't want to offend by being vociferously in opposition, but to prevent serious injury or death I need to strongly disagree with you on this one. It is a *VERY* important safety issue that folks should NEVER run with the ballast tank in a less-than-full state. You must ensure it is either completely empty or completely full, but never run with a partially full ballast. The reason is that while underway that water can 'slosh' and the weight of all that water slamming to one side or the other can create very dangerous stability issues such that it even has the potential to capsize the boat, with potentially disastrous results. I'm as serious as a heart attack on this one because folks have drowned on Macs by misuse of the ballast tank.

Please do not use the ballast as a "holding tank" or for anything which may allow it to vary in content. Running with it full at all times is the safest bet. If you are under power (only), you can dump the tank for speed, but be very cautious about loading the boat (cargo and souls on board) and in making turns at higher speeds... keep the weight low in the boat and never allow folks to be on the upper/forward deck while powering without ballast... place them in the cockpit or below, and of course ensure the boat is never overloaded.

Obelix
Captain

Post by Obelix » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:09 am

kmclemore,
Well said, a welcome and necessary reminder :) :) :)

Obelix

Nautek
First Officer

Post by Nautek » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:22 pm

I take your point
I shall retract my suggestion
I was referring to the boat being used in trawler mode with no mast

Allan

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:20 pm

Oh go ahead - be vociferous :D

DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:34 pm

This Subject of using the MacX/M without a mast for a Trawler has come up a few times on this board.
I for one welcome it and prefer to go at trawler speeds of less than 6.5 knots for fuel efficient and better at 5.5 knots for mpg.
Even at those speeds I like to keep Ballast full.
Only time you run ballast empty is at hull speed Mast up.
Without mast, empty Ballast in calm seas and fill it in rougher waters.
Dave

Nautek wrote:I take your point

Allan

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:01 pm

Because the only place near to me to go is out is the open ocean I sort of have to agree: 'boat' runs very comfortably in choppy water at low speed (4 to 6 knots) with a full ballast tank. I have not experienced a big gain in economy or even speed by using an empty ballast tank at the speeds a trawler would travel, (assuming a trawler is a displacement hull going 6 to 7 knots anyways) so to me the full ballast is an advantage when "trawling", (if there is such a thing). It's something I rarely ever do (trawl), I'm more into 'trolling' but that's not a boating issue so I will not elaborate here..

Still - if I am going to "trawl" at only 5 knots why not just sail at 5 knots? Wallowing along at 5 knots under power slopping back and forth like some old fishing "trawler" is not my idea of travel, but to each his own. (I hear those bells clanging and smell the huge flocks of sea gulls swarming around those guys every time I pass them out there).

In most cases when I am under power trying to travel somewhere the throttle is close to wide open and in those cases I do indeed run the ballast tank empty. In that situation (when planing around 17 knots) I find the boat performs better without ballast and there is no spray in the cockpit either.

kmclemore
Site Admin

Post by kmclemore » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:46 am

DaveB wrote:
Nautek wrote:I take your point
Allan
This Subject of using the MacX/M without a mast for a Trawler has come up a few times on this board.
I for one welcome it and prefer to go at trawler speeds of less than 6.5 knots for fuel efficient and better at 5.5 knots for mpg.
Even at those speeds I like to keep Ballast full.
Only time you run ballast empty is at hull speed Mast up.
Without mast, empty Ballast in calm seas and fill it in rougher waters.
Dave
Agree, Dave. Further, even in 'trawler' mode, the water in a half-full ballast tank can not only make a heck of a noise below as it sloshes about, but can also cause unexpected forces which may seriously affect the boat's handling. I reiterate - either run it full, or run it empty, but *never* run it somewhere between the two.