Tattoo Yachts

Moderators: Catigale, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Tattoo Yachts

Post by dlandersson » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:09 pm

Well, see...when I was shopping years ago (2009-10) I checked to make sure that any boat I purchased included an outboard. Not having an engine was unusual. 8)

And many brand new sailboats come with an engine. Seaward 32RK for example. :P

How about - any brand-new sailboat
BOAT wrote:Come on, be real. All sailboat people know they must get their own outboard.

The only people that get a motor with their sailboat are those people who buy those big boats with the diesel engines that are built into the insides of the boat. Whole different class of boat. I have a friend with a 38 foot boat like that but he can't even get 7 grand for the boat because the motor is all rotted out. When the motor is built into the stomach of the boat like that it constitutes a huge expense and also a huge depreciation factor.

On the bare hull 'boat' I got from Mike there will be NO depreciation factor. If I ever decide to sell 'boat' the bare hull will still be worth 22 grand. It's all the other stuff that loses value and deteriorates. I will never get what I paid for the motor. That motor on the end of 'boat' end up being an expensive boat anchor after many years that is worthless, (except as a boat anchor). Old sailboat motors make great boat anchors.

If I owned a sailboat company like the MagGregors I would avoid going into the motor business too.

RussMT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by RussMT » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:21 pm

dlandersson wrote:Interesting point. Does that include an outboard? I'm thinking "no". :(
This has always been the Mac/Tat marketing plan. Advertise a dirt cheap price to hook the consumer. No headsail, no motor, no anchor. It's a trailer, hull, mast and mainsail for that price. Still a good price after you add stuff to make it ready to dunk. However, it is a headline grabber. A sailboat and trailer for $26,900!

My dealer had a "cruising package" that included stuff like jib, stove, dock lines, fenders, anchor, cushions, real motor, ladder, stern seats, etc. for just under $36k ready to sail. Still a bargain for this much boat.

I think towards the end, the factory (or was it Mike Inmon) started advertising the Etec as an option.

Nevertheless, a fully outfitted Tattoo is far less than that $46k number. I don't think you can add enough options to reach that. Where did that come from?
Last edited by RussMT on Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:23 pm

BOAT wrote:I have a friend with a 38 foot boat like that but he can't even get 7 grand for the boat because the motor is all rotted out. .
What kind of boat? Can it be loaded on a trailer?
Might be a good bargain. Not difficult to repower an inboard.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:33 pm

Here's another reason, Macs/Tattoos do not control the outboard dealer networks wherever a Mac/Tattoo might be. Let the buyer decide. One less thing to blame on the boat factory. :D
BOAT wrote:If I owned a sailboat company like the MagGregors I would avoid going into the motor business too.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:34 pm

Ditto. Where is this 38 foot boat? 8)
RussMT wrote:
BOAT wrote:I have a friend with a 38 foot boat like that but he can't even get 7 grand for the boat because the motor is all rotted out. .

Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL
Captain

Post by Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:55 pm

I have one new 2014 well-equipped Tattoo 26M for $33,000 for my Christmas, Hanukkah, Festivus, Boxing Day, Kwanzaa, Winter-Solstice, Holiday, Anniversary, Year-end, Boat Show Special.
It has the 60 HP Evinrude OBM, deluxe trailer w/brakes, spare tire, jib sail w/hanks, sheets, blocks, mast raiser, head, cockpit seat cushions, boarding ladder, dual batters w/switch, BOATS 4 SAIL Rig Pack w/ halyards aft, my EZ Cleats, rope clutches, upgraded blocks, mainsail cover, headsail bag, Bimini top, etc.
$33,000 out the door price. You don't have to pay me any tax unless you register it in Wisconsin. Picked up at my Temporary World Headquarters in S.E. Wisconsin.
Contact me for info.
- Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:32 pm

It's pretty clear I'm coming to you when its time to get a new boat. 8)
Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL wrote:I have one new 2014 well-equipped Tattoo 26M for $33,000 for my Christmas, Hanukkah, Festivus, Boxing Day, Kwanzaa, Winter-Solstice, Holiday, Anniversary, Year-end, Boat Show Special.
It has the 60 HP Evinrude OBM, deluxe trailer w/brakes, spare tire, jib sail w/hanks, sheets, blocks, mast raiser, head, cockpit seat cushions, boarding ladder, dual batters w/switch, BOATS 4 SAIL Rig Pack w/ halyards aft, my EZ Cleats, rope clutches, upgraded blocks, mainsail cover, headsail bag, Bimini top, etc.
$33,000 out the door price. You don't have to pay me any tax unless you register it in Wisconsin. Picked up at my Temporary World Headquarters in S.E. Wisconsin.
Contact me for info.
- Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:02 pm

Some stuff on my boat is stuff hardly anyone else is going to want in all fairness. Most people won't need an anchor windlass. That mod cost a boat buck just by itself.
Ix

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:09 pm

dlandersson wrote:
How about - any brand-new sailboat
BOAT wrote:Come on, be real. All sailboat people know they must get their own outboard.

Well of course - these are brand new sailboats. Buying a new boat - that's the point - the new boat WITH MOTOR is a big boat and that motor is a liability in the end.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:09 pm

RussMT wrote:
It's a catalina

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:10 pm

dlandersson wrote:Here's another reason, Macs/Tattoos do not control the outboard dealer networks wherever a Mac/Tattoo might be. Let the buyer decide. One less thing to blame on the boat factory. :D
BOAT wrote:If I owned a sailboat company like the MagGregors I would avoid going into the motor business too.
Indeed

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:10 pm

dlandersson wrote:Ditto. Where is this 38 foot boat? 8)
RussMT wrote:

Oceanside Harbor - B dock

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:15 pm

dlandersson wrote:It's pretty clear I'm coming to you when its time to get a new boat. 8)
Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL wrote:I have one new 2014 well-equipped Tattoo 26M for $33,000 for my Christmas, Hanukkah, Festivus, Boxing Day, Kwanzaa, Winter-Solstice, Holiday, Anniversary, Year-end, Boat Show Special.
Contact me for info.
- Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL
Bills price is pretty good, I must say I beat his price when I got 'boat' because I got a radio and stove and a few other things thrown in, but still his price with motor is pretty good.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:42 pm

BOAT wrote:
dlandersson wrote:It's pretty clear I'm coming to you when its time to get a new boat. 8)
Contact me for info.
- Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL
Bills price is pretty good, I must say I beat his price when I got 'boat' because I got a radio and stove and a few other things thrown in, but still his price with motor is pretty good.
Bill's price is VERY good. This is for a new Tattoo. A slightly better boat than the M (better gelcoat and finish). For $500 I bet he would install a radio and stove for ya.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:46 pm

Another consideration, just like JudyB and her sails, Bill has a reputation of standing behind his products and work. That counts for a lot. Anyone who has ever had the joy of having 2 or more groups pointing fingers at each other rather than fix a problem knows of what I speak. 8)
RussMT wrote:Bill's price is VERY good. This is for a new Tattoo. A slightly better boat than the M (better gelcoat and finish). For $500 I bet he would install a radio and stove for ya.