Buying a new Tattoo 26. what options are a must?

Moderators: Catigale, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore

innervations
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Perth, Western Australia, "Talani Jayne" a 2010 Mac26M with ETec 60

Re: Buying a new Tattoo 26. what options are a must?

Post by innervations » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:01 pm

Thanks Kev. This is really useful. I will keep doing my research. Boat dollars are short at the moment :(

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:51 am

OP-Don't know if you’ve got chart plotter/ sounder on there. It is a larger initial expense, but having good charts and depth can save you BIG bucks in repairs to rudders, outboard and DB or worse yet your hull. One good grounding could easily cost triple the cost of a good plotter/sounder and detailed digital charts.

lbaldwin
Deckhand
Sailboat: Tattoo 26

Post by lbaldwin » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:56 pm

yukonbob wrote:OP-Don't know if you’ve got chart plotter/ sounder on there. It is a larger initial expense, but having good charts and depth can save you BIG bucks in repairs to rudders, outboard and DB or worse yet your hull. One good grounding could easily cost triple the cost of a good plotter/sounder and detailed digital charts.
Yes have a garmin chart plotter and depth sounder be installed. Thanks

LMSharp
Just Enlisted

Post by LMSharp » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:23 am

You've all given some great suggestions.

I do have a few comments that are specific to the Tattoo 26.

First, please don't exceed the 60 hp outboard rating. Unlike in the Mac we post this as the maximum horsepower allowed. While there may never be a problem with a larger motor, your insurance company or local authorities may be very unhappy that the horsepower installed exceeds the manufacturer's recommendation.

Before spending money on custom sails check out the Neil Pryde sails we supply. The main comes standard, and I think you'll be impressed with it. It looks great!

We don't think stern seats are a good idea. At speed bodies belong on seats, inside the lifelines, not perched above them.

The input on safety gear is good but bear in mind that Australian authorities may require more or different equipment. US Coast Guard regulations won't apply in Australia. I would check with your dealer and see what the requirements are.

The Tattoo main cradle system has integral lazy jacks, and if the mast will stay up all the time it's really a breeze to hoist and drop the main. If the dealer doesn't have one we can ship it or there are probably suppliers in Australia who can supply a similar item.

Halyards lead aft and stern rails are included on the standard boat.

Enjoy your boat!

lbaldwin
Deckhand

Post by lbaldwin » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:00 pm

LMSharp wrote:You've all given some great suggestions.

I do have a few comments that are specific to the Tattoo 26.

First, please don't exceed the 60 hp outboard rating. Unlike in the Mac we post this as the maximum horsepower allowed. While there may never be a problem with a larger motor, your insurance company or local authorities may be very unhappy that the horsepower installed exceeds the manufacturer's recommendation.

Before spending money on custom sails check out the Neil Pryde sails we supply. The main comes standard, and I think you'll be impressed with it. It looks great!

We don't think stern seats are a good idea. At speed bodies belong on seats, inside the lifelines, not perched above them.

The input on safety gear is good but bear in mind that Australian authorities may require more or different equipment. US Coast Guard regulations won't apply in Australia. I would check with your dealer and see what the requirements are.

The Tattoo main cradle system has integral lazy jacks, and if the mast will stay up all the time it's really a breeze to hoist and drop the main. If the dealer doesn't have one we can ship it or there are probably suppliers in Australia who can supply a similar item.

Halyards lead aft and stern rails are included on the standard boat.

Enjoy your boat!
Thanks for that advice. Am I able to purchase directly from the factory for items such as spinnakers etc?

LMSharp
Just Enlisted

Post by LMSharp » Wed May 14, 2014 3:53 pm

Yes, we sell sails and canvas that will fit the 26M.

albanygary

Post by albanygary » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:06 pm

LMSharp wrote: The Tattoo main cradle system has integral lazy jacks, and if the mast will stay up all the time it's really a breeze to hoist and drop the main. If the dealer doesn't have one we can ship it or there are probably suppliers in Australia who can supply a similar item.
Hey Laura. Just took delivery of :tat26: #68 and it came with the Cover/LJ kit. Lovely piece of kit it is too. Sadly though mine wasn't installed by the dealer, topping lift too, so I'm looking for some advice on how to best rig these options. I will have her moored for the season so the cover/LJ is going to be very well used.

I was also supposed to get a cockpit table, per the shipping doc. Is this the table below decks or is there an actual above decks cockpit table option that you are currently selling / shipping?

Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:52 am

Mod note

This is a forum for discussion of Tatoo boats, but it is not the surrogate or technical support area for Tattoo Yachts Inc.

We encourage all owners to work with your dealer (who gets paid to do this) on issues on boat deliveries.

SMB do not have the resources to web surf 24/7 while they run their businesses.

lbaldwin
Deckhand

Post by lbaldwin » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:30 pm

Boat arrived on saturday. Exceeded my already high expectations. Just need to balance it on the airdock properly. :tat26:

How can I post a photo?

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:53 pm

lbaldwin wrote:How can I post a photo?
Quick and dirty: Go to http://www.tinypic.com, and upload from your computer (assuming you have the photo(s) on your computer already). Copy the returned link with the UBB code at each end (img and /img), which is the second of the four lines returned, and paste it directly into your post. Don't leave any text before or after on the same line, or it looks funny. Hit preview button and you should see your photo. No account needed. No way to ID back to you, even. The web address it gives you is just a cryptic mess. :D

Hit the 'quote' button on this post to see what it looks like behind the curtain. :wink:

lbaldwin
Deckhand

Post by lbaldwin » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:12 am

Tomfoolery wrote:
lbaldwin wrote:How can I post a photo?
Quick and dirty: Go to http://www.tinypic.com, and upload from your computer (assuming you have the photo(s) on your computer already). Copy the returned link with the UBB code at each end (img and /img), which is the second of the four lines returned, and paste it directly into your post. Don't leave any text before or after on the same line, or it looks funny. Hit preview button and you should see your photo. No account needed. No way to ID back to you, even. The web address it gives you is just a cryptic mess. :D

Hit the 'quote' button on this post to see what it looks like behind the curtain. :wink:
Here's my boat high and dry on her airdock. No antifouling which is good. Took her out into the ocean the other day. The performed really well and the family love it.

Sagacity

Post by Sagacity » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:43 pm

http://svsagacity.blogspot.com/2014/12/ ... yacht.html

I list my thoughts on my selected options on my blog. The boat has been great.