Buying a new Tattoo 26. what options are a must?

lbaldwin
Deckhand
Sailboat: Tattoo 26

Re: Buying a new Tattoo 26. what options are a must?

Post by lbaldwin »

yukonbob wrote:I used Blue water yahcts coatal cruising package as a starting point for everything we wanted. good place to start.
Great idea if I had the cash. Those nice add ons will come in time once the bank account gets healthier.
lbaldwin
Deckhand

Post by lbaldwin »

lbaldwin wrote:
aviro wrote:hi Lance
electrical solar panel are good but you need a lot if you use some electricity.
I have a refridgerator cooling unit and 3X100 what flexible panel.
flexible panels are a lot lighter and safer hard to breake.
it take 5 minutes to install it when you lower the mast.

tell me if you need more info
J. F.
Wow that's alot of real estate in panels. Loved the photos. Gave me a few ideas.
lbaldwin
Deckhand

Post by lbaldwin »

kadet wrote:Hi Ibaldwin and welcome,

I sail just up the coat from you in Moreton Bay and have had my :macm: since 2008, mine was the one that Cameron at Bluereef Yachts used to model his Whitsunday Package off and I think it was the second :macm: he imported 8)

My 2 cents from sailing our local waters for the last 6 years all year round and how I have rigged my boat. I originally had a 150 and stock main but now have the following.

Furling asym spinnaker Rolly tasker on a 1 metre bowsprit.
Furling 110 on the factory cdi knockoff.
Full baton heavier weight Rolly tasker main with double reef points and refurbished factory main both with slugs. (Lazy Jacks and single line reefing)

I have found our summer afternoon sea-breezes too often over powered the boat with the 150 and even furled it was PITA as the shape and trim was so bad, weather helm was also a big problem and handling in the 1 metre chop not good. I have found that in any weather conditions you can use the full genny in you can use the asym. Especially in Autumn and Winter before the strong westerlies kick in.

Decide what type of sailing you want to do then match you rig to that. If you want to sail in light air 5-10 knots only then the 150 and factory main are just fine. If you are going to go out all day and get caught out in a 15-20knot sea-breeze regularly coming home look at a smaller head-sail and an asym.
Or just motor there are so many options with theses boats. Treat them as a basic kit and mould them to your own needs, after you drill that first hole in her the rest come easy :) .

But by far the number one best mod I have made and the most useful is an autopilot.

With the amount of sun we get a 40 watt panel would be more than enough to keep the batteries at full charge. I have an 80 watt for the auto pilot and after 6 years still have the original 90AH battery the boat came with.

Look at the mod section of this forum for many good ideas.

As for motors if you are only planning on hull speeds get a 15hp for anything else get a 60hp or if you want to tow kids a 90. A 30 won't get you on plan unless you have nothing on board and the tide at your back :P

I originally regretted not getting a 90 once I started loading the boat up and found how slow it was with a 60 but now I rarely motor above hull speed so the 60 does just fine. Getting the right prop also helped a lot, swapped out the original 13.75x13 for a 14x11.

All the best and see you out there.
wow. Thank you so much for your opinion. I want to do all sorts of sailing on this boat so may reconsider the 150 roller fuller etc. Is the gib and spinnaker about the same price I wonder.
lbaldwin
Deckhand

Post by lbaldwin »

RobertB wrote:Suggest figuring out what you want to do.

Just day sailing on open water in sight of known landmarks? Then the 150 genny with roller furler and a VHF radio.
Going to go new places? A chartplotter and a trailer with brakes (does Tattoo even offer the stripped down trailer?). Upgrade from the single fuel tank. Maybe a compass in case the electronics fail.
Anchoring, especially overnight or in strong winds? A good anchor plus the tiny one the dealer supplies and an anchor light on top of the mast. Possible add some fans for the interior.
Going to prepare food? A freshwater system.
Are you going to store mast up or down? Various items to help speed up rigging like large head clevis for headsail and snap shackles for most other rigging.
Going to perform most sail control yourself while other watch? Lines led aft kit, genny swivel blocks with cleats, and lazy jacks.
Safety gear. USCG has basic minimum. Operating at night - need to add flares. Comfortable PFDs you will actually wear cost more. I just acquired a rescue sling for the stern.
Partying? Stern rail seats.
Comfort? Cockpit cushions.
Docking? A collection of medium and long 1/2 inch dock lines plus a minimum of two fenders and boathooks.
Want to stay out a weekend or a week? Then the list gets real long.
Many thanks for your comments
kadet
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Post by kadet »

wow. Thank you so much for your opinion. I want to do all sorts of sailing on this boat so may reconsider the 150 roller fuller etc. Is the gib and spinnaker about the same price I wonder.
They were for me but I got them at different places at different times. If you are having them made locally you are looking at about $1000.00 give or take a $100 or so for a quality sail. If you can find a loft in the US or Asia that will ship to OZ you can save a couple of hundred bucks if the freight charges are not too extreme.
lbaldwin
Deckhand

Post by lbaldwin »

kadet wrote:
They were for me but I got them at different places at different times. If you are having them made locally you are looking at about $1000.00 give or take a $100 or so for a quality sail. If you can find a loft in the US or Asia that will ship to OZ you can save a couple of hundred bucks if the freight charges are not too extreme.
Im just getting the factory genoa I think
lbaldwin
Deckhand

Post by lbaldwin »

aviro wrote:hi Lance
electrical solar panel are good but you need a lot if you use some electricity.
I have a refridgerator cooling unit and 3X100 what flexible panel.
flexible panels are a lot lighter and safer hard to breake.
it take 5 minutes to install it when you lower the mast.

tell me if you need more info
J. F.
Do you use straps to hold them down on the bimini.
innervations
First Officer
Location: Perth, Western Australia, "Talani Jayne" a 2010 Mac26M with ETec 60

Post by innervations »

I am in the process of purchasing these flexible a solar panels http://www.solarfuture.com.au/marine/marine-packages/

They can be attached to Bimini with zipper or eyelets and clips.
lbaldwin
Deckhand

Post by lbaldwin »

innervations wrote:I am in the process of purchasing these flexible a solar panels http://www.solarfuture.com.au/marine/marine-packages/

They can be attached to Bimini with zipper or eyelets and clips.
Are they expensive?
innervations
First Officer

Post by innervations »

$449 Australian dollars for the 90Watt panel I am looking at. They are manufactured in italy so a bit expensive in Australia. You then need a controller for around $225. The low weight and ability to detach easily from the Bimini are winners for me.
lbaldwin
Deckhand

Post by lbaldwin »

innervations wrote:$449 Australian dollars for the 90Watt panel I am looking at. They are manufactured in italy so a bit expensive in Australia. You then need a controller for around $225. The low weight and ability to detach easily from the Bimini are winners for me.
Have you considered buying off ebay and mounting it yourself as a similar panel is around $170. I'm going to drill the eyelets holes etc and clip it to the bimini myself.
Boblee
Admiral

Post by Boblee »

Not sure what the Aust agents offer as standard now but think brakes will be included to comply locally, everything else will depend on your use but don't like the flexible solar, if going out for a week and not freezing you won't need much unless only sailing but then how much does a small o/b generate?
The stern rails are a must not sure if standard though.
Have fun and welcome.
jimbo
Engineer
Sailboat: Other

Post by jimbo »

innervations wrote:$449 Australian dollars for the 90Watt panel I am looking at. They are manufactured in italy so a bit expensive in Australia. You then need a controller for around $225. The low weight and ability to detach easily from the Bimini are winners for me.
Not sure I would encumber a bimini like this. Not sure about others but docking in windy conditions I need all decks clear including Bimini folded back to allow for the unexpected. Maybe my inexperience (likely) but the expression "a ping pong ball on glass" springs to mind and the Bimini gets in the way big time.
innervations
First Officer

Post by innervations »

The panel is attached by 6 Tenax clips to the Bimini top and should be quick to remove although I am going to see if the Bimini can be tilted back with the panel attached. Apart from the sliding hatch I cannot come up with another location for a solar panel. I don't want to mount a frame off the stern due to weight and windage.

Lbaldwin - Thanks for the tip about ebay as there are 100 W flexible panels from around $200 in Australia :D
kevinnem
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by kevinnem »

for a 90 watt panel, you don't likely need a 225 $ controller.

do some research in to this, as I understand that they are only a little more efficient . if you are paying say 200 for the first 75 watts, and then 225 to get the efficiency to make it 90, clearly your not spending your money effectively.

basically, according to my research , MPPT (the expensive controllers, PWM are the cheap ones) are only useful for larger solar arrays, or where you have lots of money and a need for every last drop of power. However, at that point it would be expected that you have already taken steps to lower your load (aka VERY efficient cooler, lights and fan ect...

Kev.