Any news on the Tattoo 22?

Moderators: Catigale, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore

Bilgemaster
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Re: Any news on the Tattoo 22?

Post by Bilgemaster » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:05 pm

I've only been aware at all of the Tattoo in any size or form for maybe three years, but am I the only one for whom this whole topic of its return or lack thereof to production is beginning to seem reminiscent of the Kübler-Ross Model, better known as "the five stages of grief?" I'm not sure where most folks stand in that continuum. I imagine it varies according to how likely one might be to actually purchase a Tattoo if ever they did appear. As for me, I am not. I'm just not a "new car smell" kinda guy. My joy is instead more typically found in identifying and resurrecting what most other folks might see as just old and busted junk. Silk purses from sows' ears, that's my mantra.

From a selfishly non-sentimental and even brutish economic point of view, realizing full well that Mac 26Xs and 26Ms will only stand to hold and perhaps even increase in value if no other equally fine power-sailor alternatives exist out there in the marketplace, I am already on record much earlier in this thread as "sort of" resembling this cheerful fellow where the demise or at least extended hibernation of Tattoo is concerned:

That said, in my heart of hearts I do actually wish them every success. After all, a 22-footer is not a 26-footer. So, if the Tattoo folks were clever and actually had any real aspirations of one day reviving their marque, they'd be in this forum regularly, updating and even soothing what amounts to a ready-made customer base--preaching to the already converted, as it were. Their silence is probably bad for any future bottom line they may hope for.
Last edited by Bilgemaster on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by BOAT » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:22 pm

There is a whole lot going on here in regards to ALL things MacGregor that is not adding up but it's sort of seems wrong to talk about on a site that is titled: MacGregor - but my main thing is the new 70 foot boat - Just like the 22 foot model, the only 70 footer I have seen is the hull I saw at the factory that was under construction four years ago!

So it's not just the 22 that is conspicuously missing in action here - there are no signs of the 70 footer either.

This leads me to the conclusion that Roger is no longer involved in boat building at all.

I can only assume that all orders for new boats was turned over to his kids and it's up to them to produce them - I think that because of the Florida Records that say they applied for a permit to build boats up to 75 feet in length.

It would seem to me that what they are lacking are the orders?

I assume ten orders for the 70 footer would be enough to begin production, but for the 22 footer it would need to be closer to 100. My assumption is that there just are not enough orders to proceed on either boat. If all of a sudden people put down deposits on 15 MAC70's and another 200 TAT22 I'm sure they would have production up and running in a matter if 120 days - not sure if that's gonna happen - it might, but I am not sure.

I guess if no one wants boats they are not going to build boats - makes sense to me.

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:28 pm

Don't you remember one of the most famous movie quotes "If you build it, they will come"

As someone that consults business as to how to run, Tattoo seem to check all the tick boxes on how to fail in business.

Lack of regular communication, promises made and not kept in regards to development, no regular updates on their website or social media.

These things make a company look dead in the water and people become suspicious as to their ability to deliver and they worry they will lose their money if the preorder.

As stated previously, they have a loyal band of supporters on this forum and on Facebook Macgregor pages, existing customers are easier and cheaper to sell too than new customers and selling to existing customers is far more cost effective by a HUGE margin, yet there is no regular updates or time frames given.

I personally think they have pretty much given up or have given it a low priority. Roger was successful because he promoted the hull out of his boats (and he sold a good boat at a good price), yet not even a promotional video of a simulated boat, simulated sailing from Tattoo.

miamistyle
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 19

Post by miamistyle » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:11 pm

I am still hopeful. 2018 might just be the year my dream boat finally gets made. Until then, I will keep sailing my :mac19: when the wind cooperates.

Starscream
Captain

Post by Starscream » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:35 pm

sailboatmike wrote:
As someone that consults business as to how to run, Tattoo seem to check all the tick boxes on how to fail in business.

Well, sadly, I agree with you. Something went wrong there, methinks.

To be honest I always questioned the 22 ft length. While it seems like it would fit a few people to a T, I think a 22 is just too small to make major sales. If one was to start a business building trailerable boats, I suppose one should do a massive amount of market research on what people want, how much people would be willing to pay, typical boat usage, etc. etc. Once you have DATA in your hands, you make the decision on what the product looks like. Based on no data whatsoever, I would say that the vast majority of boat owners want a bigger boat, not a smaller one. JMHO. I get that a smaller boat = easier to launch/faster with less power/easier to park and all that stuff, but when spending time on a boat, size matters.

Actually, given the knowledgeable people on this website, it doesn't make any sense to me that Tattoo decided on a 22 footer without surveying the S#*T out of us. One would think that macgregorsailors.com is a dream come true for anyone considering collecting marketing data on a new trailerable. With a little work, you could probably be actually talking with 500 or more current 19, 22, 25, and 26 ft trailerable boat owners. Who here wouldn't spend some time on the phone with Tattoo giving their opinions?

Maybe the thought was that the 26ft market was saturated with X's and M's. With multiple thousands of copies out there, and some used ones going for $10k with a motor, I could see how it would get harder to convince someone to drop 40k to 50k for a new one as time goes on. I think the better move might have been to try a 27 or 28 ft trailerable NewMac. I'd bet if we informally surveyed the site members, we'd find that more people would be more likely to let their current X or M go to trade up to a Mac28 than would trade down to a Tat22.

The whole thing seems kinda sketchy to me, but I wish Tattoo all the best. With only a 22 offered they will never see the color of my money, but a few years ago I saw one of the last Tat26's available in Canada at a local boatshow, and it made me go hmmm. (Couldn't do it though, because the X cockpit and interior are just that much better for my personal usage).

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:11 pm

Guys,

Using this website as a guide for broad interest in boats is questionable - look at the bottom port corner of the site the next time your in a thread:

There you will see the statistics of who is actually looking at the site - and there used to be a statistic for how many ever were on the site at the same time. As I recall there was a time long long ago when there were over 100 people on site on a fourth of July - I don't think I have ever seen more that a couple dozen on site in the past 3 years, and most the time there are only a few people.

It's not really a good place to get statistics on the broad market out there - this is not the place to find that out.

There are good metrics fro BoatUS and some other organizations that quiz the public on their interest in boats. If you live in a town with a marina just look at the waiting list for the slips. I think Tom or Seahouse or one of the other guys here who is much smarter than the rest of us did get some metrics from the good sources including Google Search and found that boat interest is way way down. The public at large just does not seem to be interested in boats...
Last edited by Hamin' X on Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited out political content.

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:39 pm

Starscream wrote: To be honest I always questioned the 22 ft length. While it seems like it would fit a few people to a T, I think a 22 is just too small to make major sales. If one was to start a business building trailerable boats
I tend to agree I think around 25 feet is what people want, big enough to have some creature comforts but small enough to put on a trailer, I would think 24 to 28 feet would be optimal, 22 feet just isnt big enough to fit much more than a day sailor basics.

The volume difference between say a 20 footer and 26 footer is like chalk and cheese (we got rid of our 20 footer because it was just too small for even 2 people never mind the 3 kids as well). Back in the 70's I remember as many as 6 person family were happy to spend a couple of weeks on a 18 footer, all I can say it that you would want to be good friends, people want room, comfort and a few luxuries these days.

While BOAT points out that there is never a huge amount of people online at any point in time, the most important thing in the pic he posted was that the Google Bot was crawling, that means that when you do a search that it will come up in Google. Do a search and sure enough you will find what comes up when you Google Tattoo 22, most are forum posts
Last edited by Hamin' X on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Repaired quote

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:18 am

I would probably never buy another boat from tattoo. I can't afford to upgrade my boat to anything else.
What tattoo could sell me is accessories made to fit my boat. Simple fiberglass things like overhead cabin storage. Shelves to fit in the space under the cockpit combings. Other modular items made with the same gelcoat and fake wood finish. Improved rudders. Molded fiberglass opening ports that fit into the existing holes. Two peice main hatch drop boards. There are literally a hundred items they could easily make with equipment and materials they will already need to make boats. And, they could make these and sell the at a profit because people love to improve their boats but often lack the skill to do so. In a week, any competent fiberglass tech could build molds for the top three most desired add on.
Lets say, overhead cabin storage, drop in mod for composting head, molded galley shelves or storage.
Might bring in income while they get set up, phase in hiring, shop set up etc.
May be they could offer refurbishment service. Who knows.
Ix

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:18 pm

BOAT wrote:Guys,

Using this website as a guide for broad interest in boats is questionable - look at the bottom port corner of the site the next time your in a thread:

Image.
37 Users Online

Why don't you drive on over to Roger's factory and see what's he's building if anything. Or give Mike a call and say "What happened to that cool 70 you guys were building."

As for the Tattoo, I wouldn't lay down a penny to order one until I saw at least one built and maybe one person reviewing it.

I bought my M without ever stepping foot on one or seeing one in person because of THIS forum.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:45 pm

RussMT wrote:
BOAT wrote:Guys,

Image.
37 Users Online

Why don't you drive on over to Roger's factory and see what's he's building if anything. Or give Mike a call and say "What happened to that cool 70 you guys were building."

As for the Tattoo, I wouldn't lay down a penny to order one until I saw at least one built and maybe one person reviewing it.

I bought my M without ever stepping foot on one or seeing one in person because of THIS forum.
I had never heard of this forum until Mike Inmon told me about it - I already had the boat for several months before I had ever even seen this site. I discovered the MAC at the boat show - it was an X boat. Buy the time I could buy one the X boat turned into the M boat - so I bought that one.

I did not buy sight unseen - first we went to Rogers house and saw his big boat at the dock - then we went sailing with Mike Inmon in a black 26M and Mike made sure my wife was at the helm most of the time - then we went to the factory floor and looked at the boat being built - the hull was in the third bay in the final layup stage and all the other parts were waiting in the second bay for the hull. After I decided to buy it Mike gave me an added tour of the new 70 foot boat that was under construction in the last bay. As we were leaving the factory is was late (after 5PM - maybe 5:30) and we saw Roger get into his car and drive off - I think he was driving a jaguar. i guess he was in his office that day. We almost passed Roger on 17th Street on our way home. I have thought about going to the factory but the place where the big boat is was way in the back and can't be seen from the front gate.

John McDonough
First Officer

Post by John McDonough » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:20 pm

last post about the :tat22: 22 Febuary 2018.

No new information I assume.

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:46 am

The one thing going for Tattoo that might explain the .marketing void' is that we know there is a market for 200 boat per year without any advertising - so why buy ads in expensive magazine to drive demand you cannot meet?

kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:10 pm

Guys, check over here for news:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26103

miamistyle
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 19

Post by miamistyle » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:32 am

There is a post on the Facebook page that says the 22 :tat22: will be ready before the end of 2018.

Well, I am ready for it. :D

John McDonough
First Officer

Post by John McDonough » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:42 pm

miamistyle wrote:There is a post on the Facebook page that says the 22 :tat22: will be ready before the end of 2018.

Well, I am ready for it. :D
Above info..This was posted in July 2018.

About 45 days left in 2018.. :tat22:

Well, I am ready for it.