Sacrilege

Moderators: Catigale, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore

J--
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 22

Sacrilege

Post by J-- » Tue May 06, 2014 11:09 am

I'm going to ask about that which is never to be spoken about, but I sorta want one and they're near impossible to find, and sorta fit on a trailer.

The MacGregor 36. The Catamaran.

What happened to the molds? Would Tattoo ever consider rebuilding this beloved classic?

It would make a sweet boat for the Bahamas.....

kmclemore
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Re: Sacrilege

Post by kmclemore » Tue May 06, 2014 11:31 am

Don't know what happened to the molds, but you do see the boats pop up on eBay every once and a while... usually in pretty bad shape.

I really doubt that Tattoo will ever build them, even if they do have the molds (which I doubt). There's just not that much market and IMHO it would dilute their brand.

J--
Chief Steward

Post by J-- » Tue May 06, 2014 1:08 pm

kmclemore wrote:There's just not that much market and IMHO it would dilute their brand.
I don't know about "brand dilution", I'm not a marketing guy. But Performance Cruising sold more than 1000 of the Gemini 33's, and Jeanneau is stamping out Lagoon's at a really rapid pace. I'm even seeing the Wharram's popping up more frequently.

And really, when you think about it, the cat could probably use pretty much the same rig as the 26, and much of the same hardware. We all end up putting our own stoves and heads in these boats, so that wouldn't take any engineering or cost. I was just thinking that with the Gemini's @ $175k+, and the Lagoon's @ $OMG!! I would think a $50k 36 foot cat would definitely find a market, especially with the way Tattoo does things by upselling options.

It's a mental exercise that beats the endless spread sheets I'm looking at.

RussMT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by RussMT » Tue May 06, 2014 1:34 pm

J-- wrote:
kmclemore wrote:There's just not that much market and IMHO it would dilute their brand.
I don't know about "brand dilution", I'm not a marketing guy. But Performance Cruising sold more than 1000 of the Gemini 33's, and Jeanneau is stamping out Lagoon's at a really rapid pace. I'm even seeing the Wharram's popping up more frequently.

And really, when you think about it, the cat could probably use pretty much the same rig as the 26, and much of the same hardware. We all end up putting our own stoves and heads in these boats, so that wouldn't take any engineering or cost. I was just thinking that with the Gemini's @ $175k+, and the Lagoon's @ $OMG!! I would think a $50k 36 foot cat would definitely find a market, especially with the way Tattoo does things by upselling options.

I'm no marketing guy either, but the Mac 36 Cat has zero appeal to me. It's NOTHING like the Gemini for cabin space or even the Mac 26. It's an over sized Hobie Cat, has a trampoline across two pontoons. I'd love a Gemini, not so much that Mac Cat, sorry. And is it trailerable?

J--
Chief Steward

Post by J-- » Tue May 06, 2014 2:01 pm

So, I would say "trailerable" but no where would the word "easily" be used in conjunction with this thing. And yes, I would be looking to put and deck and a bimini on it. I just might not be as high class as y'all are....I'm thinking a grill, a cooler and some lawn chairs and I'll be set!

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Tue May 06, 2014 2:52 pm

Just get two 26 s and hook them up side by side :)
Ix

mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb » Tue May 06, 2014 4:45 pm

Yeah, any two matching macs, two 26' x 4" aluminum pipe, and pipe clamps on the gunnels and foredeck and you've got a cat. Pull up rudders on the windward half and helm from leeward.

Better yet you can still get home sailing half of it :-)

That's basically all the MacGregor 36' was, except longer and narrower.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Tue May 06, 2014 6:51 pm

Successful businesses "stick to their knitting". :)
J-- wrote:

J--
Chief Steward

Post by J-- » Wed May 07, 2014 8:42 am

dlandersson wrote:Successful businesses "stick to their knitting". :)
I wasn't asking them to build campers or airplanes, just a previous model. Even Roger built 26's along side 65's.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Wed May 07, 2014 10:51 am

J-- wrote:
I wasn't asking them to build campers or airplanes, just a previous model. Even Roger built 26's along side 65's.
Like asking Ford to start building the Edsel again.

RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB » Wed May 07, 2014 11:37 am

mastreb wrote:Yeah, any two matching macs, two 26' x 4" aluminum pipe, and pipe clamps on the gunnels and foredeck and you've got a cat. Pull up rudders on the windward half and helm from leeward. Better yet you can still get home sailing half of it :-)
That's basically all the MacGregor 36' was, except longer and narrower.
OK Matt - I challenge you to put this together :) How long do you need? The board is here for all the moral support and suggestions you may want (and not want). I understand there may be a source of spare parts down in some North Carolina home salvage operation :wink:

J--
Chief Steward

Post by J-- » Wed May 07, 2014 2:01 pm

RussMT wrote:
J-- wrote:
Like asking Ford to start building the Edsel again.
Put me down for a Pacer Convertible!

Starscream
Captain

Post by Starscream » Wed May 07, 2014 3:48 pm

If you have 120K going spare...

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/29060

mrron_tx
First Officer

Post by mrron_tx » Wed May 07, 2014 4:23 pm

Hmmm I'm not much on cats. I'll stick with My :macm: Ron.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Wed May 07, 2014 5:28 pm

Starscream wrote:If you have 120K going spare...

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/29060

He's asking 120 which means he will sell for 60.

Main reason people like cats is for speed and ride comfort. They are fast and they do have less roll but usually have less interior space and are a real bear to manage in the harbor. I don't even need to talk about trying to trailer one.

I too like cats but if I were going to go that way I think I would go ALL the way and get something like the kind they use for Americas cup race. You know - 45 miles per hour under sail kinda thing.

That would make it worth it to me.