Tattoo 26 Production Suspended, factory relocating

Moderators: Catigale, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore

Tenacious
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Tattoo 26

Re: Tattoo 26 Production to Cease

Post by Tenacious » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:25 pm

I purchased my Tattoo 26 over the summer direct from Tattoo Yachts. when I purchased, Paul mentioned to me they were having space issues in the factory. I can only imagine that the space concerns were exacerbated by the addition of the 22 tooling and parts.

I cannot say enough how excellent their customer service is. Tattoo Yachts gets customer service. I wish them all the luck with the new 22 and can't wait to see it.

All that being said, I sure am glad I bought my Tattoo 26 this past summer!

Obelix
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Obelix » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:07 am

I did not get the same conclusion from their post. It sounds to me that after moving to a bigger facility, they will resume the 26 in parallel with the new 22 line. Don't kill a running horse :evil:

Obelix

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:44 pm

Wouldn't it be more fun to ramp up fear, panic and hysteria? Can we somehow work "zombies" into this? :P
Obelix wrote:I did not get the same conclusion from their post. It sounds to me that after moving to a bigger facility, they will resume the 26 in parallel with the new 22 line. Don't kill a running horse :evil:

Obelix

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:01 pm

dlandersson wrote:Wouldn't it be more fun to ramp up fear, panic and hysteria? Can we somehow work "zombies" into this? :P
Didn't Bill make the original post?

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:26 pm

You're so smart. :D
RussMT wrote:
dlandersson wrote:Wouldn't it be more fun to ramp up fear, panic and hysteria? Can we somehow work "zombies" into this? :P
Didn't Bill make the original post?

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:42 pm

The new Tattoo factory has had time now to build a few boats, and now I suspect they are looking at what they had spent to build those boats and what profit they made selling them.

It would be no big surprise to me that the new factory is not making a profit on the 26 foot boat. The old factory had a lot of things already worked out and the economies of scale they enjoyed because of the efficiency of doing something over and over again with the least amount of errors and wasteful movements. Even Roger had it down to the most efficient process possible and even then his profits were dwindling on that boat. Small boats, small profits, big boats, big profits.

Lets face it, at the price the MAC sells for it's essentially the labor your paying for. I think maybe the owners of the Tattoo company want to make money instead of just break even.

A bigger location tell me they are thinking of a BIGGER BOAT. (More profit). The 22 will sell for a lot of money - (more than the MAC) so that boat should pay for itself if the volume is there.

I think the 22 foot boat will replace all the 26 foot market AND also ADD more market share in the smaller boat nitch that MAC has not had. It's a gamble that is not really so bad because they can always bring the 26 back anytime they want if they have a larger factory. I think they are going to try to do it with the 22. If that works, there will be no need to ever build the 26 again.

(PS it's always been my opinion that the current and future market of sailboats would be a smaller boat like the 22 due to the shrinkage in cars and marinas and ramp issues and trailer capacities and a whole host of things that just make the smaller boat make more sense in the consumer market of the future.)

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:08 pm

This is like debating how many angels you can fit on the head of a pin. Once there is a consensus, what difference does it make :?: :P :D

A lot of speculation based on very little info. Sit back, have a drink, and wait to see who got lucky with their guess :wink: :D
Ray

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:10 pm

NiceAft wrote:This is like debating how many angels you can fit on the head of a pin. Once there is a consensus, what difference does it make :?: :P :D

A lot of speculation based on very little info. Sit back, have a drink, and wait to see who got lucky with their guess :wink: :D
Ray
Ray, I have always appreciated your viewpoint. This is no exception.

--Russ

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:56 pm

Except that the fastest growing market share right now is trucks and SUVs.

A major part of the 26's appeal is that it's right at the edge of transportability and size - what couples and families are looking for. The reason Roger moved from the 23 to the 26 is that the 26 is the "sweet spot". 8)
BOAT wrote:it's always been my opinion that the current and future market of sailboats would be a smaller boat like the 22 due to the shrinkage in cars and marinas and ramp issues and trailer capacities and a whole host of things that just make the smaller boat make more sense in the consumer market of the future.

kadet
Admiral
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Post by kadet » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:38 am

BOAT wrote:it's always been my opinion that the current and future market of sailboats would be a smaller boat like the 22 due to the shrinkage in cars and marinas and ramp issues and trailer capacities and a whole host of things that just make the smaller boat make more sense in the consumer market of the future.
And here I am dreaming of getting a Binks 30 when I give up the :macm:. Guess I am just nostalgic :P

http://www.farrdesign.com/099photos.htm

1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:41 pm

All of us Northerners can't sail so we might as well speculate. Hopefully the 26 will return in some form. Most of us seem to lament a +26 for our next boat. Obviously if they were selling at some volume level they would not be inclined to throw in the towel. Once again I feel for the distributors who have nothing to sell once again. I don't know how you maintain brand with repeated disruption of the supply channel. Hopefully, Tattoo will prevail in the long term.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:01 pm

BWY has some boats for sale at the Seattle boat show. From their facebook page
Seattle Boat Show January 23-February 1, 2015! Come see the Tattoo 26 sailboat. Only a few available for this year and special deals too! For Free tickets send a reply!

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:05 pm

The binks is longer, but bland looking. I like my boat since it stands out. That boat looks like a thousand other boats. There is a lot to be said for looks. The interior didn't look as cozy either. Draft is perfect though!
Ix

kadet
Admiral
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Post by kadet » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:51 pm

Ixneigh wrote:The binks is longer, but bland looking. I like my boat since it stands out. That boat looks like a thousand other boats. There is a lot to be said for looks. The interior didn't look as cozy either. Draft is perfect though!
Ix
It was also made in the 80's, but they can sail offshore and are fast around the cans :)

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:49 am

kadet wrote:
And here I am dreaming of getting a Binks 30 when I give up the :macm:. Guess I am just nostalgic :P

http://www.farrdesign.com/099photos.htm

That boat is funny looking. But it looks very stout - looks like something that can take some real heavy sea.