Tattoo 26 Production Suspended, factory relocating

Moderators: Catigale, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore

LMSharp
Just Enlisted

Re: Tattoo 26 Production Suspended, factory relocating

Post by LMSharp » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:53 am

I know there is a lot of curiosity about our plans for Tattoo Yachts.

As many of you know, we continued the family legacy of building trailerable boats, once Mary Lou and Roger MacGregor retired from production boat building.

Because California is no longer a viable place to build boats we looked farther afield. As the perfect location was hard to find we settled temporarily in Stuart, Florida in a building we planned to move on from in a year or so. Our short-term goal was to keep our dealers stocked with boats. Over two years later we had still not found an appropriate site, and at that point the molds for the Tattoo 26 were nearing the end of their useful life.

We faced two decisions- should we carry on in a building that was not adequate for our needs, and should we build a new set of molds or stop production of the Tattoo 26.

We decided not to build a new set of molds, as the current 26 has been in production for quite a long time now and every model eventually runs its course. We haven’t made a big announcement about it as that seems unfair to loyal dealers who have boats in stock.

We also made the decision not to carry on in the interim building. Starting a new production line from scratch, as we did with the Tattoo 26 in Florida, is an enormous undertaking, and it didn’t make sense to do it twice if we planned on moving soon.

As someone said a while back on the forum the process of relocating and setting up production is complicated, and may take a while. We don't want to have to move twice.

And nope, we are not trying to build boats in a UPS store- the Palm Beach Gardens address is for mail only during the transition. Once we are back up and running we’ll use our physical address again and welcome visitors.

So here we are! Still actively looking for the right building to start the Tattoo 22, still supporting our current and prospective owners and dealers, but out of production for the near future.

Enjoy your boats!

BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by BOAT » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:07 am

I think you should move to Oceanside. There are a hundred experienced shapers here looking for something to do.

seahouse
Admiral
Location: Niagara at Lake Erie, Ontario. 2011 MacM, 60 hp E-Tec

Post by seahouse » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:30 am

Hi Laura!

Thanks for the update. It was nice of you to take the time out to post here.

I think you should look at the Niagara area in Canada. It's been a boatbuilding area in the past (not just aeronautical), there should be vacant facilities waiting to be snatched up, and the Canadian Dollar is low compared to $US. There are incentives from the government too. 8)

And I'm sure we could find some shapers here (windsurfing still has a following here) too.

Not entirely joking... :wink:

Good luck with whatever you choose.

-Brian :wink:

Gabby_SC
Deckhand

Post by Gabby_SC » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:46 am

Laura, Google maps for 2550 hwy 52, Moncks Corner SC we are about20 miles from Charleston SC. Place is almost deserted now

kmclemore
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:49 am

Many thanks to Laura for updating us. She does not normally keep up with this forum - I'm sure her life is very busy with the business, family, etc. - so I would not necessarily expect her to reply promptly to any posts. However, we're glad to have all the questions cleared up!

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:33 pm

Very nice of Laura to stop in and update the forum. Puts a lot of rumors to rest.

My hope is they keep the molds in case situations change and there is a need for a proven 26 hull.

We all wish them the best of luck with their endeavors

--Russ

J--
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 22

Post by J-- » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:34 pm

If I were Laura, I would look at Wanchese, NC.

Gunboat moved there because there's tons of space available and lots of experienced boat makers out of work when a lot of the sport fisher manufacturers went under, at least according to the interview with Peter Johnstone.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:54 pm

I don't know much about the boat industry. Is what happened to Gunboat common? I seem to hear a lot about boat makers and board shapers out of work all over the place. The Hobie Cat plant here in Oceanside laid off a whole pile of people about 10 years ago after they stopped using fiberglass to build boats. They make everything using roto-molding now.

Is the fiberglass boat industry dying?

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:56 pm

I agree. 8)

Just an observation: "every model eventually runs its course." - may not be the best decision justification in the whole wide world. A model that continues to sell and has steady demand can continue as long as demand continues. 8)
RussMT wrote:Very nice of Laura to stop in and update the forum. Puts a lot of rumors to rest.

My hope is they keep the molds in case situations change and there is a need for a proven 26 hull.

We all with them the best of luck with their endeavors

--Russ

bwygirl
Engineer

Post by bwygirl » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:54 pm

Blue Water Yachts still has 1 beautiful new Tattoo 26 available! Fully equipped and ready for sailing in the San Juan Islands. Give me a call if you are interested. After this one finds a home we will not have any new boats until a new factory is found and boats put into production again. Why wait when you can head out today?

FlashGumby
Sailboat: MacGregor 19

Post by FlashGumby » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:15 am

Thank you for keeping us in the loop, Laura.

I'm sad that the 26 is being mothballed for the foreseeable future, but I look forward to following the 22.

I'll be happily sailing my Mac for a while anyway :)

-Scott

bobbob
First Officer

Post by bobbob » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:23 pm

BOAT wrote:I don't know much about the boat industry. Is what happened to Gunboat common? I seem to hear a lot about boat makers and board shapers out of work all over the place. The Hobie Cat plant here in Oceanside laid off a whole pile of people about 10 years ago after they stopped using fiberglass to build boats. They make everything using roto-molding now.

Is the fiberglass boat industry dying?
At the risk of getting political, boats in this price/size class are probably being squeezed by the shrinking middle class. I'm sure the 100+' yacht business has probably never been better :)

LMSharp
Just Enlisted

Tattoo Relocation

Post by LMSharp » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:46 am

Thanks for the feedback.

We have looked in a lot of areas. Proximity to a major port is important. Depending on a single economy doesn't make sense, so 50% of our production goes overseas. Quality of life is important. Relatively steady temperatures help. The building needs sprinklers, etc. etc.

CA is out because the AQMD makes a new fiberglass factory virtually impossible.

We discussed Wanchese NC but it's a long way from anywhere.

Isn't Sea Fox still in the Monck's Corner building?

Going too far north (Canada) makes it necessary to heat buildings, which we prefer to avoid if possible.

The fiberglass business is still viable, but it is definitely more regulated than it used to be. Not a bad thing, but it takes more effort to stay on top of the regulations.

We do appreciate any suggestions, although I may not check in regularly...

dlandersson
Admiral

Re: Tattoo Relocation

Post by dlandersson » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:24 am

And you are quite right to be cautious about picking a location. What is the old saying...measure twice, cut once. 8)
LMSharp wrote:Thanks for the feedback.

We have looked in a lot of areas. Proximity to a major port is important. Depending on a single economy doesn't make sense, so 50% of our production goes overseas. Quality of life is important. Relatively steady temperatures help. The building needs sprinklers, etc. etc.

CA is out because the AQMD makes a new fiberglass factory virtually impossible.

We discussed Wanchese NC but it's a long way from anywhere.

Isn't Sea Fox still in the Monck's Corner building?

Going too far north (Canada) makes it necessary to heat buildings, which we prefer to avoid if possible.

The fiberglass business is still viable, but it is definitely more regulated than it used to be. Not a bad thing, but it takes more effort to stay on top of the regulations.

We do appreciate any suggestions, although I may not check in regularly...

SENCMac26x
First Officer

Post by SENCMac26x » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:48 am

It'd be awesome for North Carolina to land the new plant.

I'd also humbly submit the Southeastern North Carolina (ie. Wilmington) as a possibility. I know that local leaders have been offering incentives, the railroads are being improved with the new Railway car company setting up shop and there is a sizeable port and some popular river-side town to showcase your product.

Plus, maybe I could maybe visit :D