Tattoo 26 Production Suspended, factory relocating

Moderators: Catigale, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore

kadet
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Re: Tattoo 26 Production to Cease

Post by kadet » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:53 pm

BOAT wrote:..That boat is funny looking. But it looks very stout - looks like something that can take some real heavy sea.
I dunno I think they scrub up OK :)
http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sal ... ion/162469

Yes they were design to be a trailable ocean racer but can be made into a fast cruiser, a few have circumnavigated Australia.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:59 pm

kadet wrote:
BOAT wrote:..That boat is funny looking. But it looks very stout - looks like something that can take some real heavy sea.
I dunno I think they scrub up OK :)
http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sal ... ion/162469

Yes they were design to be a trailable ocean racer but can be made into a fast cruiser, a few have circumnavigated Australia.

Gimbal stove, full fiberglass interior liner, pilothouse cockpit, man - that's boat is ready to get wet! Yup, I would take that one into a storm - it looks like it would take it just fine.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:02 pm

Hey Kadet - I'm gonna need you pretty soon so don't go buying that new 30 foot boat just yet - I think I am going to order the same autopilot you have next month. I just need to finish up a landscape project I have on my property and then I will have time to take on that autopilot install. I'm pretty sure I am going to do it the same way you did yours - I really like the way you did that.

RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:31 pm

Kadet, Did it hurt to cut such a large hole in the top of your pedestal for the control head :? I am not sure I would have the fortitude to do that.

Boat, did you find someone who has the SPX-Tiller autopilot for sale? These have been replaced by the Evolution EV-100 Tiller (same actuator but all else is different). Matt installed the EV-100 Wheel, I installed the EV-100 tiller. I did use Kadet's pictures as a start. Recommend that the hardest part of the install is how to mount the control head. I already have a chartplotter on top of the pedestal and could not mount the control head directly into the pedestal as Kadet did (even if I had the nerve).

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:30 pm

It's the Raymarine EV-100, right?

RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:44 pm

Yeah, EV-100. Other units cost more and have different actuators but this should be considered a light displacement boat in relation to their product line.

Pick wheel or tiller, both debated in the past. Wheel easier to install and can disconnect, tiller out of the way. Recommend installing the sensor/compass on the head wall (middle of the boat, vertical, and normal to the centerline - all required and hard to find elsewhere). The main computer located based on your power and network layout - and then availability of mounting location (oh yeah, and dry). Control head most difficult, I made an enclosure since none commercially available.

If you can splice in standard NMEA 2000 cables to the SeaTalkNG connectors, you can save a bunch of $$ (Matt did this and I did for one). Really is not that hard: small splices or solder, preserve the twisted pair geometry and shields, and seal with heat shrink. If you are not tying in any other components you should be OK with the standard kit. I linked this to my motor (for a virtual fuel gauge on the chartplotter) and my chartplotter (so I could follow a multi-leg course).

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:25 pm

RobertB wrote:Yeah, EV-100. Other units cost more and have different actuators but this should be considered a light displacement boat in relation to their product line.

Pick wheel or tiller, both debated in the past. Wheel easier to install and can disconnect, tiller out of the way. Recommend installing the sensor/compass on the head wall (middle of the boat, vertical, and normal to the centerline - all required and hard to find elsewhere). The main computer located based on your power and network layout - and then availability of mounting location (oh yeah, and dry). Control head most difficult, I made an enclosure since none commercially available.

If you can splice in standard NMEA 2000 cables to the SeaTalkNG connectors, you can save a bunch of $$ (Matt did this and I did for one). Really is not that hard: small splices or solder, preserve the twisted pair geometry and shields, and seal with heat shrink. If you are not tying in any other components you should be OK with the standard kit. I linked this to my motor (for a virtual fuel gauge on the chartplotter) and my chartplotter (so I could follow a multi-leg course).

Wait a minute, I thought Kadet installed the EV-100, right? Sure, that is still for sale all over the place. I did NOT want the SPX unit. No bagel for me. And why not put the sensor compass right under the companionway entrance behind the ladder? What's up with that? Does it make a bigger difference because the daggerboard is up by the head? Please tell me - I did not know that would be important. Is it going to make a difference? You did the EV-100 right? That one is NMEA 2000 but as I recall the Garmin 5 series chartplotters are 0183 right? (Well, there is an 0183 port right on the back of mine) The chartplotter I have is talking to the motor already using stuff that Matt told me to get - it works well. You guys have good info and knowledge.

RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:46 pm

Sensor head needs a vertical surface - not close to vertical. All fiberglass components are angled - they came out of a single piece mold. The head wall was the only workable surface I found, all others would have required a wedge in the mount. Only drawback is the $$ on the long cable needed.

RayMarine SeaTalkNG is NMEA 2000 as far as voltage and wires but not connectors. My Garmin chartplotter GPS Map 546s is both NMEA 0183 (I use for connection to VHF for DSC) and NMEA 2000. I understand there are converters available to link the two but I did not research since I do not need one.

If you are already talking to the motor, and it is an ETEC60 or larger ETEC, then you probably are already using NMEA 2000.

kadet
Admiral
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Post by kadet » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:09 am

Mine is the older brain spx-5 but the tiller actuator is the same. I put my gyro compass next to dagger board trunk, perfect spot and cable reached easily.

Cutting a hole does not seem to hurt the pedestal it is not structural at that point. Mind you it is on an angle that makes you have to stand to read it so I would probably find another location if I did it again :) My wind instrument is mounted on the front of the pedestal so would have preferred that location.

The SP-X 5 is also NMEA 2000 but the Raymarine will not talk to the Garmin over NMEA 2000 they see each other the SP-X talks to the ST70 the Garmin GPS talks to the wind but I had to hook the GPS to the SPX-5 wth NMEA 0183 to get wind and routing info into the SPX-5.

http://s511.photobucket.com/user/_kadet ... er%20Pilot

Looking at that ev-100 sensor seeing as it can be deck mounted on a flat surface I would build a box for it out of marine ply and mount it on top of the battery lid.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:46 am

man! no one who has installed one of these has ever posted a picture of the compass thing! you mounted it on the daggerboard?? put in on the battery box?? i did not know about that thing - is it very big?

March
Captain

Post by March » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:19 am

I've got a 26X and I put the compass right under the step cover, next to the breathing hole--plumb straight on the longitudinal axis. Two pieces of white plastic glued at a 90 degree angle. The step cover covers it all the time, except when I remove it to plug the breathing hole.
I put the computer on the head's vertical wall, facing the rear berth. The compass cable goes under the rear berth--really easy to snake through.
Sorry, no pics yet. The boat is under several inches of snow

tek
Chief Steward

Post by tek » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:23 am

20 years ago the 65 was discontinued in favor of the 26...
Now the 26 is being discontinued for the 22..

If the trend continues, when will we be seeing the introduction of the Tattoo 8 foot sailing dinghy? :P

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:54 am

tek wrote:20 years ago the 65 was discontinued in favor of the 26...

If the trend continues, when will we be seeing the introduction of the Tattoo 8 foot sailing dinghy? :P
Ain't it the truth! :D Yes, what you are seeing happen to MacGregor is the changing demographics of America. The shrinking middle class means less demand for a CHEAP family sized boat. In the future America is clearly going to be divided much more between the rich and the poor. The people that CAN afford a boat are probably going to be able to afford something bigger and more expensive than the 26M and the poor people? Well, they just don't get no boat, period. Roger is going after the rich market with the 70 footer - remember, there are more new millionaires now than ever before. The rich all got a LOT richer over the past 8 years and that trend is going to continue. When roger built boats in the 70's his factory was filled with American teenagers from the Costa Mesa area working after school - when he closed shop almost all the factory workers were immigrants. Today American teens have no jobs, so they get no life training on how to work and that's why they are all still living at home. Employers don't want to take the time to work with teenagers anymore because immigrants work harder and are easier to exploit. This all further divides the country into demographic groups. (I got that from the people at the Hobie plant here who say their once brisk teen market is about gone). It's a trend that is not new to America - back in the late 1800's the country was awash with cheap immigrant labor and a huge poor sector with most of the money held by the very top 1%. We will be going back there again. I have no opinion at all if this is good or bad, there is no moral argument or point here, I am just realistically looking at what is to come as a CEO would if they were trying to operate a company for the long haul. Consumer demographics are key.

RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:53 pm

BOAT wrote:man! no one who has installed one of these has ever posted a picture of the compass thing! you mounted it on the daggerboard?? put in on the battery box?? i did not know about that thing - is it very big?
Here is a picture I found of the sensor head mounted on a different boat. It needs a fixed vertical mount. I installed it on the front side of the aft head wall at the ceiling (other side of the mirror) and completely out of the way on a :macm: .Image

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:02 pm

with water ballast of course. :D
tek wrote:20 years ago the 65 was discontinued in favor of the 26...