Tattoo 26 Production Suspended, factory relocating

BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Tattoo 26 Production to Cease

Post by BOAT »

RobertB wrote:
BOAT wrote:man! no one who has installed one of these has ever posted a picture of the compass thing! you mounted it on the daggerboard?? put in on the battery box?? i did not know about that thing - is it very big?
Here is a picture I found of the sensor head mounted on a different boat. It needs a fixed vertical mount. I installed it on the front side of the aft head wall at the ceiling (other side of the mirror) and completely out of the way on a :macm: .Image
Is it facing forward? Does it need to be pointing towards the bow? Must it bee in the middle of the boat? So the horizontal angle and vertical angle is a big deal I guess.
kadet
Admiral
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Post by kadet »

Sorry to state the obvious Boat but read the installation manual it will answer all your questions :)

https://raymarine.app.box.com/s/j9uaqm0 ... 1787035935
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson »

Excuse me, but isn't the saying "When all else fails, read the manual?" :P
kadet wrote:Sorry to state the obvious Boat but read the installation manual it will answer all your questions :)

kadet
Admiral

Post by kadet »

dlandersson wrote:Excuse me, but isn't the saying "When all else fails, read the manual?" :P
kadet wrote:Sorry to state the obvious Boat but read the installation manual it will answer all your questions :)

It was expressed better than what I was originally going to post :)
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Okay, I downloaded all that stuff and the next time I am on the head I will start reading.
kadet
Admiral

Post by kadet »

BOAT wrote:Okay, I downloaded all that stuff and the next time I am on the head I will start reading.
Cool, and when you get it fitted set your compass course at 245 degrees in about 7200 miles you will be at my front door, after you dodge New Caledonia 8)
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Can I see a wombat when i get there?
kadet
Admiral

Post by kadet »

BOAT wrote:Can I see a wombat when i get there?
Common or Hairy Nosed?
Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey »

Is a Quokka close enough? :D
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

kadet wrote:
BOAT wrote:Can I see a wombat when i get there?
Common or Hairy Nosed?

Is this the wombat? Is he over there where you are?
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

Ain't it the truth! :D Yes, what you are seeing happen to MacGregor is the changing demographics of America. The shrinking middle class means less demand for a CHEAP family sized boat. In the future America is clearly going to be divided much more between the rich and the poor. The people that CAN afford a boat are probably going to be able to afford something bigger and more expensive than the 26M and the poor people? Well, they just don't get no boat, period. Roger is going after the rich market with the 70 footer - remember, there are more new millionaires now than ever before. The rich all got a LOT richer over the past 8 years and that trend is going to continue. When roger built boats in the 70's his factory was filled with American teenagers from the Costa Mesa area working after school - when he closed shop almost all the factory workers were immigrants. Today American teens have no jobs, so they get no life training on how to work and that's why they are all still living at home. Employers don't want to take the time to work with teenagers anymore because immigrants work harder and are easier to exploit. This all further divides the country into demographic groups. (I got that from the people at the Hobie plant here who say their once brisk teen market is about gone). It's a trend that is not new to America - back in the late 1800's the country was awash with cheap immigrant labor and a huge poor sector with most of the money held by the very top 1%. We will be going back there again. I have no opinion at all if this is good or bad, there is no moral argument or point here, I am just realistically looking at what is to come as a CEO would if they were trying to operate a company for the long haul. Consumer demographics are key.
My concern is if there are no customers purchasing new boats 'Tattoo's' then how long before the used boat (X,M26 etc.) market follows with a loss in demand respectively. When I purchased my 'M' in '08 there were maybe 50+/- boats listed in the classifieds of this site. That number has risen considerably since. So I question my own value and viability going forward. There is no question we have gutted the middle class with income virtually stagnant. I sincerely hope Tattoo will be able to return to the 26-28ft class in the future and remain successful.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

When I purchased my 'M' in '08 there were maybe 50+/- boats listed in the classifieds of this site. That number has risen considerably since.
Wow, I did not know that.
kadet
Admiral

Post by kadet »

Is this the wombat? Is he over there where you are?
Yes BOAT that is a wombat I live in the suburbs of a city of over 2 million people so if you mean do I have one in my back yard then no. If you mean do they live here in the wild then yes. Image

I live in Brisbane at the top of the Common Wombats range.

These guys are way more fun than a wombat though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6QHzIJO5a8

And like all good Aussie Fauna they are venomous and can sting with a poisonous spur in their back legs. :)
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

Australian motto: Whatever you have, we have a larger or more deadly version :D
and I think i can live quite nicely without encountering a hairy nosed anything...
Ix
kadet
Admiral

Post by kadet »

Ixneigh wrote:Australian motto: Whatever you have, we have a larger or more deadly version :D
and I think i can live quite nicely without encountering a hairy nosed anything...
Ix
No our actual motto is: "Yes it's poisonous, it probably won't kill you, but you'll wish it had" :)

We don't have any large carnivorous like bears, lions or wolves just a lizard called a Crocodile but unfortunately just about everything else that bites, stings or can end up in your mouth is poisonous 8)

I love visiting my US friends, they always seemed to think we lived out in the wilderness with kangaroos and kolas. I use to teach in Orlando and had to explain I traveled halfway round the world to end up in a place the same as home except the cars were on the wrong side of the road :).

BTW I miss Cinco de Mayo 8)