Tattoo 26 Production Suspended, factory relocating

Moderators: Catigale, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore

BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Tattoo 26 Production to Cease

Post by BOAT » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:52 am

We don't have a wombat or even a platypus here where I am. My town only has about 170 thousand people and in this town for every 40 people there is a boat. There are lots of hawks and coyotes and rabbits and squirrels and lizards but no crocodiles, just snakes, but there is plenty of room for the wombat if he wants to live here - lots of hills and canyons and stuff. (Oh, and a big beach too - almost forgot about all those animals - on thanksgiving we could see killer whales from downtown.)

I did not know that a platypus was more fun than a wombat, or that used MACS were piling up, or that I needed to find a place to mount a silly compass thing for the autopilot.

I'm learning a lot on this post.

tek
Chief Steward

Post by tek » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:31 am

1st Sail wrote: My concern is if there are no customers purchasing new boats 'Tattoo's' then how long before the used boat (X,M26 etc.) market follows with a loss in demand respectively. When I purchased my 'M' in '08 there were maybe 50+/- boats listed in the classifieds of this site. That number has risen considerably since. So I question my own value and viability going forward. There is no question we have gutted the middle class with income virtually stagnant. I sincerely hope Tattoo will be able to return to the 26-28ft class in the future and remain successful.
I don't think the glut in the market is a worry, remember as long as the new boats were being built and the old kept their value, used boats were competing directly with new that didn't cost much more. If someone wanted a 26M for example, they might consider the Tattoo 26 simply because they could have one fresh from the factory for a few more dollars.

The dent in the economy might hurt demand a bit, but the lack of similar new boats as an alternative is likely to balance it out IMO.

On that note, I'm not likely to sell my :macm: anytime soon anyway.

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:44 am

Since employment in the US just hit a 14 year record high, used Mac boats might simply be an indicator of people replacing them with new boats. This weekends boat show in Chicago is allegedly the largest its ever been. 8)
tek wrote:
1st Sail wrote: My concern is if there are no customers purchasing new boats 'Tattoo's' then how long before the used boat (X,M26 etc.) market follows with a loss in demand respectively. When I purchased my 'M' in '08 there were maybe 50+/- boats listed in the classifieds of this site. That number has risen considerably since. So I question my own value and viability going forward. There is no question we have gutted the middle class with income virtually stagnant. I sincerely hope Tattoo will be able to return to the 26-28ft class in the future and remain successful.
I don't think the glut in the market is a worry, remember as long as the new boats were being built and the old kept their value, used boats were competing directly with new that didn't cost much more. If someone wanted a 26M for example, they might consider the Tattoo 26 simply because they could have one fresh from the factory for a few more dollars.

The dent in the economy might hurt demand a bit, but the lack of similar new boats as an alternative is likely to balance it out IMO.

On that note, I'm not likely to sell my :macm: anytime soon anyway.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:06 am

Yes, the employment numbers will help boat sales too - but I think what Roger and Laura are dealing with is the long view market - down the road. We can get to 100% employment and probably will because all our politicians seem to care about is full employment, they have no concept of the TYPE of employment people are being forced into. With everyone employed as an immigrant working for slave wages and everyone else not even looking for a job that means the only people that can buy a boat are the top 2 % and they will be too rich to buy a MAC (they will be like mastreb) they will want some luxury and they will be able to afford it.

Other company owners that I have read about who export their products write a lot of papers about Europe - Roger has a LOT of knowledge about the demographics over there and Laura was his international sales manager for years. The politicians in America want the US to be just like Europe, and if you look at the rich poor divide over there you can see how that all plays out and how our society too will be like theirs after a while. Greece, France, Spain, Mexico, Russia, and so forth. China and India are promising, but all the long view speculations say to pare back on any American markets dependent an a large affluent middle class.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:03 pm

That's why the fast-food crowd wants a $15 minimum wage. :P
BOAT wrote:We can get to 100% employment and probably will because all our politicians seem to care about is full employment, they have no concept of the TYPE of employment people are being forced into.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:17 pm

dlandersson wrote:That's why the fast-food crowd wants a $15 minimum wage. :P
BOAT wrote:We can get to 100% employment and probably will because all our politicians seem to care about is full employment, they have no concept of the TYPE of employment people are being forced into.
I think it should be $50/hr. Then everyone could afford a Mac or Tattoo.

What does any of this have to do with boats or the Tattoo factory?

mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:28 pm

BOAT--Look over my install log, there is a picture of where I mounted my compass. I put the compass on the head wall, but underneath the forward dinette seat where it's invisible. As Robert said it must be vertical, and that's the only spot I could find that's both vertical and hidden.

I like where all my components wound up. All quite out of the way.

I would definitely do the tiller if I had it to do over again. The wheel wasn't all that easy to install anyway because it took a lot of time to get the wheel off.

You won't have any trouble connecting the EV-100 to your Garmin. You just need a SeaTalkNG to NMEA2000 adapter cable that you can buy at the big West Marine in San Diego.

I like where I installed the control-head on the port side of the pedestal opposite the engine throttle and directly on the removable cover. Works great, and it's easy to operate by feel anyway. Probably doesn't look the best, but because only the cover is modified, it's easily fixed up and moved elsewhere. I'd intended that to be a temporary solution but it works so well that I'm not going to move it.

Matt

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:06 pm

mastreb wrote:BOAT--Look over my install log, there is a picture of where I mounted my compass. I put the compass on the head wall, but underneath the forward dinette seat where it's invisible. As Robert said it must be vertical, and that's the only spot I could find that's both vertical and hidden.

I like where all my components wound up. All quite out of the way.

I would definitely do the tiller if I had it to do over again. The wheel wasn't all that easy to install anyway because it took a lot of time to get the wheel off.

You won't have any trouble connecting the EV-100 to your Garmin. You just need a SeaTalkNG to NMEA2000 adapter cable that you can buy at the big West Marine in San Diego.

I like where I installed the control-head on the port side of the pedestal opposite the engine throttle and directly on the removable cover. Works great, and it's easy to operate by feel anyway. Probably doesn't look the best, but because only the cover is modified, it's easily fixed up and moved elsewhere. I'd intended that to be a temporary solution but it works so well that I'm not going to move it.

Matt
Thanks GREATLY Matt, that idea to mount inside the dinett under there is genius - SO that takes care of that issue - Does that seatalk adapter just plug right on to the 2000 backbone I already have? (I assume I will be extending my 2000 back bone by using an adapter to extend a Seatalk backbone too, is that right? The adapter you talk about is also a great help - that makes it a lot clearer for me to visualize the sytem talking with the GPS now.

I did talk to Chris at FLYORSAIL and he gave met the specs on the NMEA 0183 output that his wind sensor and the label format ( Chris has a wind sensor that mounts on the mast top of a rotating mast) it's a little pricy, but I think it's the way to go on getting wind data. I just hope the AP can understand the wind message from the sensor.

As for the control head - I was going to install two of them but I think now I will get the remote control unit and use only one head - still not sure where I will mount the head. I figure the remote dongle might give me a little more flexibility? I like your idea of using the side cover on the ped, but if i do that i will build a angled plastic box extension there so the head is still facing forward instead of sideways - (no one sits right there anyways because the wheel is in the way?) Still trying to work all that out - you know me - when it;s finally done it will be a surprise that no one probably ever thought of! :)

I think I figured out my camera stuff too looking at the wireless cameras they use as backup cameras for trucks that are wireless (I still would like a camera on top of the mast to see further since I am out in the ocean all the time). Anyways, as usual, when my mods are done I will post pictures.
RussMT wrote:
dlandersson wrote:That's why the fast-food crowd wants a $15 minimum wage. :P

What does any of this have to do with boats or the Tattoo factory?
Hey Russ, we were speculating why Laura has stopped production of the 26M - it's gone - by by - thanks for playing. (Shrek)

K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:16 pm

I had been wondering about the European market as a catalyst for the T22 concept. Since the Sharp's have done so much business over there, the 22 could be designed for that demographic. Doesn't the Euro auto market cater less to big trucks & SUVs than vs the US?

And consider the ease of entry to a new boat that doesn't suggest considering the upgrade to a larger tow vehicle. Of course we Americans always justify the bigger upgrades, especially looking at the RV lifestyle / market.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:30 pm

Q:If I gave you 3 million dollars to set up a boat building factory what kind of boat would you decide to build to ensure you did not lose your 3 million dollars?

(A: You build something that can get you back your 3 million as fast as possible).

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:29 pm

Maybe they just felt like doing something different. I think in order to be in the business you have to love the boats. The M is great, but msybe they want to focus on upgraded sailing attributes.

Someone could probably make a nice living buying and rehabbing the old models though. I thought my 22.2 sailed fine, and I'm sure the 25 does good too. If someone put as much thought into the rebuild process as Roger did for the build process, you could turn a good profit. Buy the old boats for 0-3000 or 3000-20000 for the later ones give them an awl grip paint job and a new rub rail fix any minor issues and sell then for a few thousand more.
Ix

kadet
Admiral
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Post by kadet » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:30 am

I know when I first got my boat and clipped the side of the house with one of the stern seats when reversing it into it's spot, I wished I had about a 4 foot smaller boat :?

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:04 am

So clear me up if I am wrong here - is the tattoo 22 the only trailerable cabin sailboat in production in the US now??

Has it got to this? :|

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:38 am

An it isn't "in" production right now. Dey movin' mon. :o
BOAT wrote:So clear me up if I am wrong here - is the tattoo 22 the only trailerable cabin sailboat in production in the US now??

K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:57 am

BOAT wrote:So clear me up if I am wrong here - is the tattoo 22 the only trailerable cabin sailboat in production in the US now??

West Wight Potter, Sanibel 18, Voyager 20, Com PAC, Precision...