Trip out west without the boat

This is a place to document your trips with your boat. Tell us about your journeys. Share your experiences. Post your pictures.
ris
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Trip out west without the boat

Post by ris »

We are doing National Parks this year as Canada is closed to boating. We are headed for Big Bend NP on Friday from Florida. We will take 4 days to get there and will stay 8 nights. Then on to Guadalupe Mountains and Carlsbad Caverns. If you are near where we will be or along our route let me know and maybe we can meet up. We enjoy meeting up with Mac Owners.

Richard
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: Trip out west without the boat

Post by NiceAft »

Have a great trip; don't forget to write :D

P.S. I had to figure out that NP means National Park :?
Ray ~~_/)~~
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Sounds like a nice trip. We got a Sprinter-based Class B RV for travel to FL and TX to visit family, and it can easily tow the boat. BOAT uses a Sprinter for towing, in fact. I just gotta convince the admiral to make a trip out west, with the boat. :wink:
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
Todd
Engineer

Post by Todd »

Enjoy your trip. If you end up in Albuquerque would enjoy meeting you.
Todd
'07 26M

:macm:
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

We are an hour from Yellowstone park. If you put it on your list, would love to meet up.
--Russ
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Sounds like a nice trip. We have been considering heading west with our travel trailer this summer. Just got a new tow vehicle from the Truck Ferry for being a good Mac owner. 8) Can't resist throwing in a pic. :wink:
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Herschel wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:15 pm Sounds like a nice trip. We have been considering heading west with our travel trailer this summer. Just got a new tow vehicle from the Truck Ferry for being a good Mac owner. 8) Can't resist throwing in a pic. :wink:
Beautiful Truck Herschel!
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Looks kinda nekkid without a boat or travel trailer behind it hint hint. :wink:
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Jimmyt wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:31 pm
Herschel wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:15 pm Sounds like a nice trip. We have been considering heading west with our travel trailer this summer. Just got a new tow vehicle from the Truck Ferry for being a good Mac owner. 8) Can't resist throwing in a pic. :wink:
Beautiful Truck Herschel!
Thanks guys. Mostly this is what will be behind it since I keep my Mac in a marina slip all year. This shot was taken in South Dakota in 2018.
As you can see the new truck, replacing the 2007 Ram, is a Ford F-150 Lariat. 2020 model. Decided on the 3.5L 6 cylinder EcoBoost turbo engine with 10 speed transmission, rear wheel drive, and max tow package. Rated to tow 12,500lbs. as long as I don't exceed 17,900lbs. gross combined weight rating (GCWR), a combined cargo carrying (CCC) weight of 1683lbs. and use a weight distribution hitch (WDH), if tongue weight exceeds 500lbs. Tongue weight of my travel trailer is just shy of 800lbs. so the WDH will go on. I'll measure the tongue weight of the Mac the next time I tow it, but I doubt it will be more than 500lbs. since I have tandem wheels on my boat trailer, and the whole boat and trailer max out around 4,800lbs. Since I hit 76 last September, I opted for the driver assist options like blind spot warning, lane keeping assist, all round camera view, and adaptive cruise control. I have never been in any serious accident, much less causing one, but with advancing age and the seemingly increased frequency of strange driving "yahoos" on the road, I wanted all the help I could get from technology over the next decade. I typically keep my vehicles a minimum of 10 years. Appreciate your interest...and, yes, we hope to get this puppy out west this summer. 8)
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

Not a lot of cell connection in the places I’ve been in since we left Milton Florida in mid March. We have been to big bend national park, Davis Mountains State Park Texas, Guadalupe Mountains national Park, Carlsbad Caverns national Park, White Sands national Park. We then took four days off from desert life and went up in the Gila national forest to the Cliff Dewellings national monument. Was nice being at 6200 feet in the ponderosa Pines for four days.. For a guy that lived at 68 feet above sea level for most of his life, hiking is a breathing chore instead of a muscle chore above 6000 feet. We arrive at Joshua tree national Park in Southeast California tomorrow. We have eight days in Joshua than five days to get to pinnacles national park in California a 4 Hour Drive from Joshua tree. Might just go up to death Valley for three of those days not sure yet. If we come near any of you McGregor folks just let me know and maybe we can meet up. Russ not sure when we will be at Yellowstone probably August early September at the latest will keep you updated would love to meet up.

Richard
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

It sounds like you are having a great time. I like the part about having no cell coverage. That means you are seeing the really nice places. Other than White Sands I've been to all the places you've mentioned. I envy you.

Around here we call 68' "the mountains". :wink:
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Be Free wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:32 amAround here we call 68' "the mountains". :wink:
That's funny. Having grown up in hilly Connecticut, I always got a kick out of friends in Vermont calling us "flatlanders". :D
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
C Buchs
Captain

Post by C Buchs »

I live at about 80' above sea level. I can drive 3 miles and be over 500'. That's just a small hill to me.

I can drive an hour and a half to Timberline Lodge at 6000' and take a ski lift to 8500 feet. That's a mountain to me.

It's funny what people from different areas call a mountain.

Jeff
GonePostal
Deckhand
Sailboat: Venture 2-22

Post by GonePostal »

Lets see some pics! I did pretty much the same trip as a kid with my parents on vacation, minus a boat. Fun times. I especially liked Carlsbad Caverns. Driving across Texas takes forrrreevvveeerrrr haha as Im sure you noticed.

And yes, mountains are in the eye of the beholder I guess haha I lived in Colorado for 20 years, and now that Im back in Texas I live at the base of a "mountain." ( Its a hill about 150 ft tall) :|
Chris
1980 Venture 2-22
Nissan Marine 6hp
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

Just checking in after Joshua Tree NP went back east to Lake Mead for four days then over the Death Valley NP, then Pinnacles NP, then Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP. We are presently on Pine Flat Lake at Island park campground near Sanger Ca. We are going to Mariposa to be near Yosemite NP on Sunday. Having a real nice time.
On 22 May we will be in Lassens volcanic Park for seven days and then head over to the coast to the redwoods NP.
We have picks on my wife’s blog ( thejillkristy.wordpress.com ) click on a picture and more pics from that day will come up.
Richard