Macgregors of Masonboro and Wilmington (NC) - (MOMAW)

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

opie
Captain

Re: Macgregors of Masonboro and Wilmington (NC) - (MOMAW)

Post by opie » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:50 am

Erik,
I know it seems that this posting slot is sometimes a conversation between our two crews and boats, but there must be others with Macs out there that can join us more often. Anyway, any good stories about your Memorial Day outing? Hope to be out there in July.....
Opie

C Striker
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by C Striker » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:39 pm

dear opie,

a good time was had by all. i am wore out fighting the stock steering with the strong currents. know of any retired vatos with the desire for a nice project boat? oh, i had a chance to sail a 48 footer that was on the way north from the carribean. 2000 miles sailed solo in 2 months. i declined the sail, but took the tour. nice boat!

EC

opie
Captain

Post by opie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:04 am

Hello Ron and Cindy (I hope I got the names right),
Good to have met you and welcomed you to Wrightsville Beach. You were putting in at the WB ramp with your M as we were putting in our X this past Friday. Because of the high winds predicted we left the next day but saw you well placed at Dockside Marina as we were leaving. Hope to see you this spring on the water. Others here may be out and about then also. As for the places to go around the beaches there, there is some info in this thread about Masonboro Island.
fair seas,
Opie
Last edited by opie on Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C Striker
First Officer

Post by C Striker » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:28 pm

It was freezing out there today with N winds! Besides, it's mod season...

I remember the wind kicking me out early last year, and am starting to understand why some folks like 2 bow anchors.

Erik

ps try a bowl of gumbo, it's excellent.

opie
Captain

Post by opie » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:05 pm

Erik and Syl,
Hi. Yeah, I was down to charge the batteries by driving the X around a bit but it was too windy to stay. See ya soon for the season!!!!

gregoryh
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by gregoryh » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:21 am

Hi All,

I thought I should introduce myself. My name is Greg and my wife Jude and I have a 91' 26S that we bought last year and have had lots of adventures up and down the Cape Fear. We have our boat in a marina in Carolina Beach but right now it is on the hard getting some TLC. I'd like to join up with you guys if you are ever out for a sail. So far we've kept to day trips only but have plans on weekending this year if we get everything just right. Hopefully my mods will make it a little bit more livable and we'll be able to join you out on the water.

Thanks for having a place for us Mac guys in Wilmington!

Greg

C Striker
First Officer

Post by C Striker » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:10 pm

Hi Greg and Jude,

Our M isn't quite so user friendly yet and is thankfully in the back yard. Seems I'm out there every weekend working on some project. 9 hours today, fun! My wife Sylvia and I both work full time unfortunately. Since we trailer, we always stay overnight at least 1 night. We usually vacation once or twice a season. Unfortunately twice is all we were out last year, in fact. I'm hoping to get a fall slip for a month or two if i can stop drilling holes in her. One of these falls...

Opie and I usually shout out here before we spend any real time on the water. He's been known to drop off some wine here too, since my punkin can make a mean sangria. Be sure to subscribe to topic to get the wake up email from us MOMAW folks.

See you out there,
Erik

fishheadbarandgrill
Captain
Sailboat: Other

Post by fishheadbarandgrill » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:14 pm

I'm in Charleston, SC. I would really like to make trailer up to Wilmington and meet up with some Mac sailors. Shoot me a note if there's a mass get together.

Bob

opie
Captain

Post by opie » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:38 am

Hi All,
Bob, Greg and Jude and all others up and around here.... LET's DO IT this year! For sure!!!! If you read my happy/sad truth comment on the Florida Keys thread today, you will find that NC is my grounds for boating and I will try to do everything that comes up this year with you guys, so count me in. Who can organize? haha. maybe it is best not to plan to hard, who knows... anyway, the Pirate Sail at Cape Lookout is on my radar for the fall this year, but that is the only event I know of. I guess we will have to make more events/// Look forward to it!!! (Erik, get that anchor light up there.)

Erik Hardtle
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Erik Hardtle » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:51 pm

Greetings Wilmington Brethern....

I am wanting to set up a sailing event in Wilmington and could use some advice. I ran the 2010 Pirate Sail up here at Cape Lookout http://www.enctrader.com/ncsail

Was thinking of a cruise by the battle ship, then docking for dinner and overnight. Next day sailing to some beach or other area for anchoring and pot luck.

What is a good month there? Other spots or sites to see?

What advice / experience on these ramps:
Wrightsville Beach
Castle Street (Dram Tree Park)
Trails End

Thanks,
Erik
KnotShore (1st MacX on left in pic below)

cptron
Captain
Location: Hattiesburg MS. "Storm Walker" 2011 26m with ETech 60

Post by cptron » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:20 pm

Hey Opie,
Ron and Cindy here the couple from the ramp. I just saw your post and wanted to say that it was a pleasure to meet you and the admiral. We have found a place with mast up dry storage in Southport NC. hope to see you again out on the wind. We are going this weekend and will be leaving Fri. morning if you want to catch up. Let me know.
Ron 8)

C Striker
First Officer

Post by C Striker » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:57 am

Hi Erik,

I always do Wrightsville beach ramp now. Lots of parking but packed on the weekends. I sneak out in the evening. My first year I put in at Carolina beach state park. It was closed the following year to be improved. It was 5 bucks for parking, may be double now... be sure you tell them you are staying out multiple days! The park is right at snows cut bridge, halfway between the battleship and wrightsville beach. Watch out for gators and venus flytraps. And the inlet for carolina beach too! I am spoiled at wrightsville, very nice inlet. Also, the north end of figure 8 island has a huge sandbar that forms around half tide. Very cool. It will be a huge parking lot all summer long on the weekends.

When you go depends on your prefered temps. Lows in the mid 50's is warm enough for me to overnight. Shoot, it was 87 here yesterday! Any time is a good time.

Also, the admirals will enjoy the riverwalk in downtown wilmy. My wife drives our dog there for walks. There is a ramp very close to the river walk, but poor parking and currents keep me away. It was closed for improvements about a year ago, hopefully to extend the cement underwater. Opie used to launch there years ago, but only at high tide.

I don't get out as much as I'd like to. I WILL be catching up though one of these winters with a trip to the keys. Then the Admiral will decide if we take it off the edge... Until then I love this site and especially this forum where I can trade my HUGE! ice blocks for a ride to the swimming hole :!: 8)

Erik of the Charlotte

opie
Captain

Post by opie » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:01 am

Hi Erik of the Charlotte (Huh? what does that mean Erik??) and Erik of the Pirates and Ron and Cindy and others. I do not get on the internet but once in a while so sorry for the delay in helping to answer Erik the Pirate's inquiry.
I will try to post some trip info here shortly.
In general, the spots are, not in order of anything:
1. Dram Tree ramp, downtown Wilmington, brand-spanking-new and built to avoid all the old currents that made the old ramp miserable. They even have a separate kayak ramp.
2. Trip up and down the cityscape and Battleship on the CF River are visually stunning and fun.
3. The places along the city to dock are new also, probably space for 25 sailboats. Wilmington's website has links to "RT" the dockmaster.
4. The Henrietta dinner cruise simulated paddlewheeler goes up and down the CF and Brunswick rivers, and that is scenic for a potential visit plan.
5. Longer trips up the main Cape Fear towards Fayetteville, the NE Cape Fear to Castle Hayne, and the lower CF towards Southport are possiblities also.
6. Since it is probably 30 miles from the City docks to Wrightsville Beach and Masonboro Island, trip plans need to add 3 to 6 hours for that trip depending on speed.
7. Masonboro Island is a great place to raft up b/c you can swim in the bay side and walk to the ocean side (about 300 yds).
8. Figure Eight Island is fine also.

more info coming as I find time.

C Striker
First Officer

Post by C Striker » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:46 am

Opie,

Seems our boat has a few names. I like Charlotte, after my mom. Punkin likes Sea Striker, after us all. My mom's name actually is C. Striker, so the Admiral gets her way. ( Until i screw it all up saying Charlotte )

EC of the Striker

cptron
Captain
Location: Hattiesburg MS. "Storm Walker" 2011 26m with ETech 60

Post by cptron » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:34 pm

The admiral and I sailed out of Cape Fear inlet, crossed Frying Pan Shoals at Four Mile Slue then up the east coast to Carolina Beach inlet for the first time this weekend. Carolina Beach inlet is real hairy going in for the first time with 4-5 foot seas but the old Mac took us in like a real trooper. We saw a Mac X (I think) between the Carolina beach inlet and Snows Cut (could not see a name). If you are a member here please contact me and we can see about swapping some stories one weekend. 8)
Ron&Cindy Brown
Stormwalker
Last edited by cptron on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.