Florida and Bahamas in July?

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
Crikey
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Re: Florida and Bahamas in July?

Post by Crikey »

Something tells me that if you're unlucky enough to have that one-in-six-million lightning bolt coursing through your personal ground path, your toast is going to be a little burnt that morning! Let's see - that'll be one black coffee plus ten thousand amps....
:cry:
fishstalker7
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by fishstalker7 »

Mike C.
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by Mike C. »

I have made trips over to the Bahamas many times, but always on a power boat.
A few things not already mentioned:
wind can be a challenge in summer in the morning. I have photos mid way across the stream of the glass calm water. you would be on motor power more often then not.
The afternoon summer squalls ; I've been on the Bahama bank north of West End and saw multiple water spouts along with the winds and lighnting. Never caused a problem, just dont get freaked when you see them. (also see them in the Keys in the summer too) They are usually short lived and not too strong, but stay clear and keep an eye on sails.
Not trying to put a damper on any trip, I still would go, its quite the experience!
darrenj
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by darrenj »

Will PM you Bahama Bound.

We are going to continue to plan and prepare to do the trip!

Thanks again for all the great info.