Ontario Sailors Rendezvous 2012

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

seahouse
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Niagara at Lake Erie, Ontario. 2011 MacM, 60 hp E-Tec

Re: Annual Mad Men of Ontario rendezvous III

Post by seahouse » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:40 pm

We have a commitment in St. Catharines that will allow us to arrive Friday night for a late dinner, then return Saturday, later.

If the stars align and there is room on somebody’s boat for a sail, I’ll be a stowaway looking for it! 8)

See y'all soon- Brian. :wink:

StarSpun
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by StarSpun » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:16 am

Hey....ok, do y'all know what day you guys are planning to sail to Toronto Harbour? I'm sure it depends on the wind, but, thought I'd ask in case.
For example, if you were planning on the Saturday, we would come over early Friday, and then sail back to the Harbour on Saturday with y'all.

Also, if anyone wanted to join us on our boat, we have room. Though, we are newbies and quite tame (I cry over 10 degrees when sober, or 15 degrees after a few drinks! LOL!)

Ohhhh, aaaaand if anyone plans on heeling their boat waaay over one day, I may be open to joining you for a bit if you can 'tolerate' scaring the crap out of a gal. I really have to get over this fear....seriously. :D

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:29 pm

Sure Cat...I'm sure you will get some takers on taking out the most famous Toronto Mac Admiral...and heeling to boot...

Just in case you guys have evil intentions, Cats hubby is a undefeated retired mixed martial arts fighter... :D :D :D

seahouse
Admiral

Post by seahouse » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:39 pm

Just found out I was thinking of the wrong marina in Port Credit – didn’t realize there was more than one. Had previously "scouted out" the other one.

Here’s a link to the marina and maps…

http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/discov ... lagemarina

-B. :wink:

StarSpun
Engineer

Post by StarSpun » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:27 pm

Ok, so....

Tried to get reservations....but apparently it's a two night minimum and we can only stay one night. Also, there are no slips close by.
I should also mention that when I called, she was very confused, saying that people were calling but she had no idea what the heck this was all about.

I asked about rafting, and that won't be possible.
:? :|

Is there anywhere to anchor around here?! :D

seahouse
Admiral

Post by seahouse » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:35 pm

There is an in-water boat show going on there that (this) weekend. I would expect that it's going to be a busy place.

http://www.portcreditboatshow.ca/compon ... /Itemid,1/

DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi! Cat just told me about the Mac meet this weekend.

It's at Port Credit? I'm just next door at Lakeshore Yacht Club. (Been there all of 2 1/2 days now!)

I'll come over Saturday noonish. But it sort of sounds like there may not be a lot of room.
Last edited by DaveC426913 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:19 pm

I thought it was common to anchor in the Toronto Islands region ..at least the people fromWilson NY area YC have told me that.

DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:26 pm

Catigale wrote:I thought it was common to anchor in the Toronto Islands region ..at least the people fromWilson NY area YC have told me that.
Well, Lakeshore Yacht Club has a couple of visitor slips, and a public dock. And it's right next door.

StarSpun
Engineer

Post by StarSpun » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:24 am

Hmmm, I think I will call the other place up then and find out if they can accept one day. Or maybe we will just drive in by car depending on what's going on....and when everyone goes for a sail we'll boot it over to join. Ahhh why does everything have to be so complicated sometimes! :D

Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:35 am

Hi all!
We just booked for Thursday 23rd through Monday 27th. I had a long talk with Robyn (905 615 4880) dealing with marina bookings and she advised me that the cluster booking will probably not apply, if at all, due to the existing advanced bookings as well as the anticipated visitors to the show this weekend. They will try to effect something at this late junction (?) but can not make any promises - so we may be dispersed a bit.
She did stress the need for not delaying booking if you were planning arriving between now, and the weekend.
Rafting will definitely not be possible (C'mon Starspun, book two nights!).

Going to be fantastic sailing weather! See y'all there. 8)

StarSpun
Engineer

Post by StarSpun » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:10 am

Ahhh, that sucks!
But I am sure it will work out.
Sadly we can't book two nights because of plans on Sunday....which BTW everyone is welcome to join us for!

Sundays Plans: We take a few people out for a sail and then anchor at Hanlans clothing optional beach....we blow up the water trampoline and other toys, have too many drinks and lots of fun! Then we sail around Toronto Island over to Cherry Beach at around 7pm for the Promise Party....which is a get together until sundown and that's when the music starts and everyone dances up a storm on the sand. Electronic Music with guest DJs, not everyones taste I'm sure (we love it!) but it's a great time! We anchor 30-50 ft from the shore and take the dinghy in when it starts getting good! It ends at 11pm....so for sleeping there is a nice anchorage in the area OR you can probably find a place along 'The Wall' (info on that below!) back at Toronto Island which would mean a nice night time sail with the city lights. Anyone who is interested, let me know:-)

Anyhoo, I figure we can drive over to you guys on Thursday during the day....then go to our event back in the city come night time.

We are going to take the Mac over early Friday and dock at your marina on some wall....apparently it's $10/day or something? I have asked Robyn how long we can stay there and am waiting to hear back. We love night sailing so hopefully we can stay a bit later and then sail back. If not, we'll head back earlier evening and then take the car back and join y'all if you are up late at a pub (I refuse to miss pub time). I have also asked Mike at North South (who we bought our boat from) if he knows anything about a one night stay at Port Credit Marina where he works by (and is next door to you)....so that may be an option too!

As for Saturday we'll do the same thing, sail on over and meet up, if you guys are out, etc....then sail back in the evening and possibly drive back out to join y'all if you go out anywhere for dinner/drinks, etc.

That should work!

The WALL:
If anyone is coming early, or staying later, or joining us for Sundays stuff, there is a wall within the island that you can have campfires at/set up tents and is a short walk to the beach. Everyone parties it up there on the weekend and you CAN raft. I've seen four boats together there before! It's $1.50/ft, and I think if you raft you split it, I have to verify that though. You can also park stern in and pay for just your beam:-)

Cheers!

dreamer
First Officer

Post by dreamer » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:38 pm

Hey Starspun I just PM'ed you. The wall is a great place to go, been there a few times this year. Maybe next year we can make the Rendez-vous there. If the weather is good it's a great atmosphere and with the campfire it's like a boating /camping experience.

dreamer
First Officer

Post by dreamer » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:21 pm

Well just talked to Robyn at the Marina. Cat's got a slip. Looks like we'll have a good turnout. Robyn said that a lot of the boaters that are there now are extending their stay because of the nice weather. She won't be able to put us all together but the marina is not that big. Since I will be there Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights I may be able to be book the Friday night and someone else can take the slip for that night. PM me if interested.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:52 pm

Hey I just stumbled across this board,... dumb luck eh! Im wondering if theres any sort of event calander for the meet up this weekend? We're in Bronte but may be able to sail/motor down on Sat early or Sunday depending on whats going on. Any info wud be aprec.