New Orleans/Lake Pontchartrain Winter/Spring Sailing

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Newell
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

New Orleans/Lake Pontchartrain Winter/Spring Sailing

Post by Newell » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:58 pm

It's well nigh time for this ship to leave port. The admiral is retiring in January and we plan to take RV, Smart Car and Fast Sunday to New Orleans for 2 1/2 months. Will be staying at the Pontchartrain RV/waterpark during Mari Gras, French Qtr. Festival and the Jazz Festival. There should be enough time between events for some serious exploring and sailing. Once ensconced in the park don't know about moving the boat to other venues, but everything is possible. Tired of the cold weather here, (hasn't even really happened yet) so better weather is one of the drivers and we like music and craziness topped with good food. :D

Want to meet other sailors and gain some local knowlegde about the sailing possibilities, outings etc. Let's have some fun. I can forego racing for part of the season, though I wouldn't pass up a chance to crew with someone.

RussMT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: New Orleans/Lake Pontchartrain Winter/Spring Sailing

Post by RussMT » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:35 pm

My uncle lives on a canal off of Ponchartrain. Took us out on his fishing boat. The thing does 70mph. Crazy!
While there, I did see a Mac X on his canal. Gotta watch for the gators in those waters. Nevertheless, we did see people watersking among the gators. We're heading to NOLA in February. Should be warmer there.

--Russ

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:03 pm

Wow, what a great time your gonna have - man - I wish I could go.

We cross the country all the time on the 10 freeway and although most people bypass the part of the 10 freeway that goes through N'orlens by taking the 12 up over the top of Lake Pontchartrain I highly recommend taking a little side road to N'orlens called the 55 freeway. (Some call it the 51) On that road you will see the real water people and see their homes and their boats and their houseboats. Is is SO cool!

Everyone has a dock!!

You can navigate with the barges on a canal that connects Lake Pontchartrain with Lake Maurepas where the water people live if you decide to visit them after you see their places from the 55.

It's surreal for us because we have a 55 freeway here too just north of town that runs through Orange County and you could never find two freeways that are so different. That 55 freeway that runs from the 12 down to the 10 is one of my most favorite drives - if your a boat person, you would like it.

Man! I wish I could go with you! tell me about your campsite! We are always looking for good places to camp near N'orlens.

Newell
First Officer

Post by Newell » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:46 pm

BOAT wrote: We cross the country all the time on the 10 freeway and although most people bypass the part of the 10 freeway that goes through N'orlens by taking the 12 up over the top of Lake Pontchartrain I highly recommend taking a little side road to N'orlens called the 55 freeway. (Some call it the 51) On that road you will see the real water people and see their homes and their boats and their houseboats. Is is SO cool!

Man! I wish I could go with you! tell me about your campsite! We are always looking for good places to camp near N'orlens.
Well we made it the 1800 miles with minor problems. Haven't put the boat in the water yet, still doing Mardi Gras parades and clubbing. It rain RAINS here. Covered the boat with a tarp, not sure my windows aren't leaking. Missed the 55 but plan to drive up there during the coming week. Haven't seen any sailboats on Pontchartrain, it's still winter? I guess. :cry: Campsite may be dusty later, but somewhat flooded now. Plenty of room for boat/trailer and the boat ramp looks okay but no finger dock. Can go into the lake or to the Mississippi or up the ICW from where we are. :o

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:30 pm

I saw some sailboats on Pontchartrain last week. Yes, it's cold for LA and winter.
Mardi Gras and parades a plenty this week. Busy season. Good luck with that craziness.

mrron_tx
First Officer

Post by mrron_tx » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:20 pm

I agree..... Be very careful in the French Quarter :!: :!: Ron.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:26 pm

Yea, the quarter has lots of scams and crime. Saw som females "helping" tourists doing shots at junga junga, and then hitting them up for $80 for the privilege. Don't bring your wallet into NOLA.

seahouse
Admiral
Location: Niagara at Lake Erie, Ontario. 2011 MacM, 60 hp E-Tec

Post by seahouse » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:55 pm

RussMT wrote:My uncle lives on a canal off of Ponchartrain. Took us out on his fishing boat. The thing does 70mph. Crazy!
While there, I did see a Mac X on his canal. Gotta watch for the gators in those waters. Nevertheless, we did see people watersking among the gators. We're heading to NOLA in February. Should be warmer there.

--Russ

Hey Russ - he must be a serious fisherman- the guys around here have those fast (bass?) boats so that at the start of a fishing derby they can get to the fishing grounds and be fishing while the slower guys are still on their way. Plus mucho fun. Pretty much every weekend of the summer there's a derby here, and the prize money makes it worthwhile.

There is a certain wisdom to water skiing in gator- infested waters. I heard that people become proficient skiers much more quickly than they otherwise would. :D

- Brian. :wink:

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:40 am

seahouse wrote:
RussMT wrote:My uncle lives on a canal off of Ponchartrain. Took us out on his fishing boat. The thing does 70mph. Crazy!

--Russ

Hey Russ - he must be a serious fisherman- the guys around here have those fast (bass?) boats so that at the start of a fishing derby they can get to the fishing grounds and be fishing while the slower guys are still on their way. Plus mucho fun. Pretty much every weekend of the summer there's a derby here, and the prize money makes it worthwhile.

There is a certain wisdom to water skiing in gator- infested waters. I heard that people become proficient skiers much more quickly than they otherwise would. :D

- Brian. :wink:
Brian, that is exactly why they have fast bass boats, to get to the fishing grounds first and win tournaments. He was a professional fisherman. I never realized how big this sport is. Boat builders would give him a boat to use so he would be seen fishing off it. These are super expensive fast carbon fiber boats. Eventually he got tired of the pressure to perform. He felt he had to catch fish to "earn" the boat. Now he fishes for fun and doesn't do tournaments and uses his own boat.

We went out on his boat and it's amazing to push the throttle forward and be doing 70mph in seconds, buzzing through these canals off Pontchartrain. Felt like a Seadoo. Like you said, it's all about getting to the other side of the lake first where the fish are.

--Russ

seahouse
Admiral
Location: Niagara at Lake Erie, Ontario. 2011 MacM, 60 hp E-Tec

Post by seahouse » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:45 pm

it's amazing to push the throttle forward and be doing 70mph in seconds…Felt like a Seadoo.
Caught the buzz just as I read that. 8) 8) 8) It's the "G"s. 8)

Yeah - I had no idea how big it was until recently either. When I first saw them I wondered why a "fishing" boat needed such a big motor. But then again, in return I had them wondering what a 60 hp was doing on a sailboat. :D

jleblanc31
Just Enlisted

Post by jleblanc31 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:30 am

Mardigras has been over for a wile now so you are probably back home .but down here in New Orleans The Southern Yacht Club puts on sailboat races every wed as long as there is no lightning. and most will let you crew on there boat . you will see most sail boats from the Causway (the 25 mile bridge that crosses the Pointchatrain ) east to lake Catherin and on out to the gulf. not to many sail boats around I 55 . O and hwy 51 runs parallel to 55. every now and then you will see a sail boat out that way most probably coming from the Tangipahoa river probably drunk and lost his or her way. there is a popular local watering hole called the prop stop that can only be accessed by boat . Heard it gets pretty wild on a good day . any way sorry for being so late on what goes on around the lake. The lake is easy sailing unless the weather turns bad than the lake gets real choppy. the lake is fairly shallow and turns up fast.

Newell
First Officer

Post by Newell » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:21 am

jleblanc31 wrote:Mardigras has been over for a wile now so you are probably back home .but down here in New Orleans The Southern Yacht Club puts on sailboat races every wed as long as there is no lightning. and most will let you crew on there boat . most probably coming from the Tangipahoa river probably drunk and lost his or her way. there is a popular local watering hole called the prop stop that can only be accessed by boat . Heard it gets pretty wild on a good day . any way sorry for being so late on what goes on around the lake. The lake is easy sailing unless the weather turns bad than the lake gets real choppy. the lake is fairly shallow and turns up fast.
Thanks, but made home port May 13. Was a fantastic trip from any viewpoint except for some windy and rainy weather in February. Did a 2 day trip to Mandeville and went up the river there far enough to see a alligator off the port side of my X. Sailed across Ponchartrain where it is narrow, 13 miles and halfway back in some good wind, that was a fun day. I visited your marina but never met anybody, only saw 2 Macs. I never heard about the Prop Stop but will put it on my list for next trip. We had such a good time, thinking about repeating. :D

Newell
First Officer

Post by Newell » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:15 pm

Just about to move Fast Sunday from Homeport Marina in Gulf Shores, AL to NOLA like last year. Have been totally unsuccessful in meeting up with other Mac owners, but never give up. Been sailing with Dolphins in both Bon Secor Bay and Wolf Bay here in Bama. Beautiful water, sometimes a little skinny, makes CB a good thing. Did see a new M over close to Pensacola.

Was sailing abreast of a Catalina 32 and the Dolphins were doing acrobats and stayed with them when they reversed towards their slip. I'm thinking the displacement bow wave for the Catlina is more workable for Dolphins than my non-ballasted X. Anybody else experience different? :D

tbowers
Deckhand
Location: Covington LA USA - 2006 MacGregor 26M w/ Tohatsu 70hp

Post by tbowers » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:05 pm

Hey I live in Covington (next to Mandeville on the north shore of L Pontchartrain); I just bought my 2006 26M. Haven't rigged and put it in the water yet but will soon, at least if I can figure out how to rig the damn thing.

Let me know next time you're in the area.
Todd

Newell
First Officer

Post by Newell » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:31 pm

tbowers wrote:Hey I live in Covington (next to Mandeville on the north shore of L Pontchartrain); I just bought my 2006 26M. Haven't rigged and put it in the water yet but will soon, at least if I can figure out how to rig the damn thing.

Let me know next time you're in the area.
Todd
Todd leaving Gulf Shores March 31 and in NOLA the next day. Will take a couple days to get organized but will have wheels and would like to help you set up the M. I took the X over to Mandeville and overnighted there last year. :macx: