Deep drop fishing at Islamorada humps?

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: Catigale, kmclemore, Paul S, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, tangentair

whgoffrn
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Deep drop fishing at Islamorada humps?

Post by whgoffrn » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:00 pm

Just curious if anyone's gone fishing at the islamorada humps in their mac ? It's about 15 miles off shore from islamorada but where the depth "humps up" I wondered if it made the waves bad

Wanting to test out a new toy..an eBay find an electric reel for deep drop fishing

vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: Deep drop fishing at Islamorada humps?

Post by vizwhiz » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:31 pm

Interesting! I haven’t been out there before, but I think several on here have...
I would definitely like to check it out!

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:07 am

Having never heard of this, I looked it up.

For those wishing to go, paragraphs four and five should be of interest. Also, if understand paragraph three correctly, you may not have to fish deep.

I do have one question; if the maximum capacity of an :macx: or an :macm: is six hundred pounds, how do do you bring aboard a three hundred pound tuna if others are with you? The obvious answer might be “VERY CAREFULLY”, but really, that’s a lot of weight. I would be concerned about a Mac flipping on on either port or starboard sides, or submerging the bow or stern.

Ray
Islamorada Hump

The Islamorada area is renowned as the Sport Fishing Capital of the World. Flats fishing is extremely popular in Islamorada but having the Hump offshore simply adds to the area's WOW factor.

You need to know that if you do fish the Islamorada Hump, live bait will be the key to your success. Use pilchard, ballyhoo, goggle-eye and mackerel as bait.

You can also throw some chum into the mix, and watch the blackfin tuna or some of the big Florida fish like sailfish, marlin, even wahoo race to the surface. Once they come rolling out of the water in a live boil, throw your baited line into the fray, and get ready to haul in some heavy fighters.

Sport fishing enthusiasts know that Islamorada fishing is some of the best. This means that the area's popularity carries over to the Islamorada Hump. You'll find that there are many days when the traffic is extremely heavy and congested.

If this happens, you're better off to travel to the 409 Hump or the Key Largo Hump. Both are productive and typically less congested, and you'll find your day fishing will be more enjoyable without having to fight all the traffic.

The Islamorada Hump is located about 15 miles offshore at 290 feet below surface.

The Islamorada Hump GPS coordinates are 24 48.175N and 80 26.674W.

whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:30 pm

I've done little fishing in the keys but wanting to step it up this year and target some bigger fish.... last couple years I just went patch reef fishing caught a couple yellow tail and a big barracuda ....wanting to target tuna and mahi this year and a total newbie to this kind of fishing

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:39 pm

I caught a Barracuda once. When it swam by, it's silver body looked like lightning flashing in the water, and those teeth :o Not just around the rim of the mouth, but across it's pallet as well :!:

Ray

whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:57 pm

The one I caught was pretty good size about 4ft long...very strong .....and I had a very close encounter with one at alligator reef last year .....i had my underwater camera with me and I seen it swimming by me at a distance so I dove down and swam towards it wanting to get a good video and I got more than I bargained for .... I thought it would be scared of me being only about 3 to 3.5 feet long but it wasn't scared when it seen me swimming towards it...it turned and swam towards me ....it stalked me in the water for about 5 mins ....needless to say I won't do that again lol

1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:11 am

Speaking of catching a very large Halibut. There was a link on here to a retired Mac sailor's blog. IIRC he grew up in the PNW but was living high and dry in the SW. Anyway he had on his bucket list sailing to Alaska. Bought a MAC towed to Seattle/Portland area and launched. Gets to Halibut a fishing area and decides to toss over a couple of lines. A few minutes later gets a hit on the first line, runs away, strips the reel of all line. Few minutes later a hit on the second line. Takes 1hr+ to get it next to the boat. Weighs in excess of 200lbs. Can land it live so he tells the wife to shoot it. She hangs over the side pulls the trigger. Fish takes off for another 30min. Finally gets it along side the boat. She shoots is again. With the fish dead they put a line on the tail and hoist it up to the stern rail cleat. Puts a line around the head and hoists up the side with the winch. With 200lbs + of rail ballast they sail on a fast reach to the next port. He pulls in to port with a bunch of fishing boats tied up and proceeds to have a fish fry for everyone! There is a picture out there somewhere with his wife lying flat on her back on the dock next to the fish. The fish was bigger!