Severn waterway

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

bobbob
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Severn waterway

Post by bobbob » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:47 pm

Planning on taking the :macx: from Honey Harbour to Orillia over the Severn. Anyone know if I can do it with the mast up? This includes 3 locks and the big chute railway.

If I have to take the mast down I’ll probably just take it off the boat completely for the trip.

Cheers!

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: Severn waterway

Post by NiceAft » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:52 am

Somebody on this site wrote of this very same trip quite awhile back, and I’m wracking my brain trying to remember who. There were photos the train chute. Hopefully they will be reading your post.

Ray

K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:30 am

Both beene and Jedaro have done it, as discussed in 2007...

clicky

bobbob
First Officer

Post by bobbob » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:05 am

Great, thanks for the link. Looks like I’ll take the mast off. Some great suggestions for doing it as well, just need to find a couple of suitable trees :)

beene
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by beene » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:25 am

bobbob wrote:Planning on taking the :macx: from Honey Harbour to Orillia over the Severn. Anyone know if I can do it with the mast up? This includes 3 locks and the big chute railway.

If I have to take the mast down I’ll probably just take it off the boat completely for the trip.

Cheers!
You'll have a blast!
Mast down, off completely is best, nothing to trip on if you need to scoot fwd for any reason in the locks.

Beautiful area

Cheers

G

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:35 am

There's always the over-engineered approach. :D

If the mast is bare, you could roll it back until it tips toward the rear, then walk if back from the ground until it reaches the roller, at which point you have to get back on the boat to lift the top off the roller and pass it over the side. Or put the base on a dolly (might need to fix it so it stays on the dolly) so you can walk it back on pavement from up on the boat.

I hang mine off the garage ceiling on the diagonal when I travel without it.

I added a hole in the bridge (connector) section of my Dowsar full enclosure so I can carry the mast on the boat with the canvas up.

The bridge clearance in that position is around 11 ft or so, as I can sneak under the Fairport (NY) Erie Canal lift bridge in the normal* down position, which is 6 ft at the low end, and with a 4% grade over 139 span, it's another 5-1/2 ft higher at the south end. The photo above was taken with that bridge just off the bow, in fact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairport_Lift_Bridge

*Fun fact - when it was built, the normal position was UP. There was a ton of barge traffic, and very little pedestrian traffic and even less horse and/or carriage traffic, so it was built with elevated stairways that allowed folks to cross the bridge on foot with it up. And you still can. They just shoo you off before they lower it. I believe most or all of the old lift bridges on the canal were made that way.