Are there Lake Powell People on this Site?

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
Todd
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Are there Lake Powell People on this Site?

Post by Todd »

I was supposed to arrive at Lake Powell last night. Unfortunately the Governor put in a 14 day quarantine requirement if you go out of state so that would mean taking 3 weeks off of work. So now sitting around the house for vacation but trying to figure out how I can "fake" raise my sail in my garage so I can get some of the lines ran correctly. I am thinking if I hang a tube from the rafters and set the boom on the floor I can raise it and roll it up on the hanging tube. This way I can look at my reefing lines and out haul etc. I don't even know why I put the out-haul on there because I don't have a loose footed sail. But I did, now I want to mess with it.
Todd
'07 26M

:macm:
Herschel
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Herschel »

We did the "land yacht" (i.e., travel trailer) thing at Lake Powell in 2011. We really enjoyed it. Took the tour boat up to Rainbow Arch, celebrated our anniversary at the hotel near Page and the damn. Launched our earlier version of the Rubber Ducky sailing dinghy and sailed across that stretch. There were tons of houseboats for rent there, so I suspect that, if they let those guys out on the lake with those expensive vessels, you can find good places to cruise and hold up for the night. Be watchful for the houseboat renters, though, they are not the most experienced boaters you'll run across, and their vessels are HUGE. I witnessed one almost take out a floating pier at the ramp. The launch ramp we used was HUGE. Drove down straight and did the U turn at the water like was mentioned previously. Saw one Mac on the water from the tour boat. I'll throw in two pics.

scrawley
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by scrawley »

I live a few hours south of Powell and would be interested in participating. My family has done a fair amount of camping and power boating there. Recently acquired an '88 26D and after a hull trip to Lake Pleasant (110 degree Saturday afternoon with dozens of power boaters blasting music on their stereos) several weeks ago we've been talking about giving Powell a try. I've heard the winds can be finicky but at least it wouldn't be 110.

Next year is a ways off but .....

Keep me posted,
Steve
Steve Crawley
'88 26d
s/v Hanara
Todd
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Todd »

I had to cancel my trip because of COVID quarantine restrictions in New Mexico. Looking forward to a trip next year somewhere-- Powell is still high on the list. By then I may even have a Snark to play with --- sailing when I'm not sailing.
Todd
'07 26M

:macm: