Keys loop

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Keys loop

Post by Ixneigh »

Once the boat is in, I’m planning to take her on another keys loop if anyone is interested. Late dec/ Jan probably. I don’t move quickly and like to spend several days in each destination, and I almost always anchor out. All the places I’m going I’ve been to before. Tentative itinerary: tavernier key, Indian key, long key, bahiahonda, newfound harbor, marathon, saddle bunch keys, bocachita, key west, gulf side lower keys, cape sable, Everglades, Florida bay.

Ix
"Shoal Idea"
2011 M, white
Etec 60
South Fl.
Be Free
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Keys loop

Post by Be Free »

Sounds interesting. How long do you expect to be out. Do you provision along the way?
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Jolly Dodger
Just Enlisted

Post by Jolly Dodger »

That sounds great. I was thinking of doing a Keys loop next year Mar / Apr so will follow here to get some ideas.
JD
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

I usually provision in islamorada Marathon and key west. Key west there’s a place will deliver your groceries. Cow channel
Is a good place to do that.

Ix
"Shoal Idea"
2011 M, white
Etec 60
South Fl.
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

I'd love to follow in your shadow. Local experience is invaluable. Please, give a log of who, where, when, how, how much so I can create it next winter. I've driven through to Key West twice, and pined over the boats lazily enjoying a more peaceful experience than the crowds I suffered through.

Is this a documented thing... like @seapup clued me in - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28015#p346122.

What kind of distance, time should be allotted to really experience the Keys Loop?
Odysseus, expert on the Siren's call
miamistyle
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 19

Post by miamistyle »

Sounds awesome, please keep us posted.

One day, I would love to do a Steinhatchee to Key West and back around loop in preparation for a great loop one day.

I retire in two years. For now, I will have to live vicariously through you.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

I would love to do that. Especially with an experienced sailor who knows the waters. Hoping to retire south someday soon. Maybe join up with you then.
--Russ
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Russ wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:54 am I would love to do that. Especially with an experienced sailor who knows the waters. Hoping to retire south someday soon. Maybe join up with you then.
I imagine, where you are, the keys are looking pretty good about this time of year...
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Jimmyt wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:11 pm
Russ wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:54 am I would love to do that. Especially with an experienced sailor who knows the waters. Hoping to retire south someday soon. Maybe join up with you then.
I imagine, where you are, the keys are looking pretty good about this time of year...
Looking damn good from here, and it's been a light season for snow so far. But the older I get, the less I like the cold. And the gray skies. Dieve mano, the gray skies! :(
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

Tomfoolery wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:30 pm ... But the older I get, the less I like the cold.
I heard that!

One of these days, I'll be joining those little old men that wear Cardigan sweaters in Florida. I understand them now. Burrrrr!
Odysseus, expert on the Siren's call
miamistyle
Chief Steward

Post by miamistyle »

Here in north Florida, you need more than a cardigan.

Sometimes it gets cold enough here to burst pipes that were minding their own business. :?

This little old man hopes to winter in south Florida and spend the rest of the year in north Florida. 8)

If it is cold enough to burst pipes, I don't want to be there.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Inquisitor wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:41 pmOne of these days, I'll be joining those little old men that wear Cardigan sweaters in Florida. I understand them now. Burrrrr!
That’s my father-in-law, who’s approaching 90. I just got a couple of pictures of him at my brother-in-law’s house, sitting on the deck next to the pool, in a long sleeve shirt, long pants, socks, and shoes. Everyone else is in shorts and flip-flops, and those other people are Florida people; just much younger. :|
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Can I use your Florida residence while you're away? :)
miamistyle
Chief Steward

Post by miamistyle »

If you are serious, I would be willing to rent my house in North Florida for real cheap in the winters while I am in South Florida.

I retire in two years, and plan to never freeze again after that.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

"Rent"? i don't remember using the word "rent". I'm big on other people's "charity". That's a word I like. :P
miamistyle wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:06 pm If you are serious, I would be willing to rent my house in North Florida for real cheap in the winters while I am in South Florida.

I retire in two years, and plan to never freeze again after that.