Max Horsepower for '01 26 x

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

PopeyePete
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Max Horsepower for '01 26 x

Post by PopeyePete » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:06 pm

1)What is the maximum horsepower I can put on a 2001 26 x?
2) What engine would be the best to achieve it?
3)What speed (with and without water ballast) can I expect to get?
4) would it have enough power to pull up a slalom skier?

LeePierce
Deckhand

Re: Max Horsepower for '01 26 x

Post by LeePierce » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:27 pm

Not sure about "biggest", but... when also considering price, weight, reliability...

I went with an older Johnson/Evinrude 120 two stroke V4 (not the V6).
Super reliable, super common, and EVERYONE seems to know how to fix them.
It looks like it belongs there. If you go with a taller V6 or the even taller Mercury, it will hit the drivers seat when you tilt the engine up.
I am playing with the prop's but so far it seems to move well with the balast in, I have not tried a run without the balast yet.
One issue, the honda 50 was balanced so the steering was neutral while the motor was up, this engine weighs enough to cause the wheel to spin when the engine tries to flop to one side. I have bought a steering disconnect but have not put it on yet.

As I get the prop dialed in, I will start reporting the speeds.

Lee

Sheppie62
Deckhand

Post by Sheppie62 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:05 am

Popeye Pete, I to am looking to add more hp to my 1998 26x also. I want a quieter 4 stroke, less smell, ability to take to lakes that have restrictions for carbed 2 strokes, plus my 50hp carbed 2 stroke just won’t idle / run dependably anymore. From what I’ve read 90 hp Suzuki at 341 pounds seems to be most common larger motor installed, the Yamaha 70 seems to be popular also, its very light and compact, but is only 1000cc’s vs Suzuki 90’s 1500cc’s. The Yamaha 90 which I’ve never seen or heard of anybody installing is 1800cc’s also comes in an ShoVmax version (no info on any power difference). Then there’s a Mercury 115 That is 2100cc’s in normal and xspro verions, thats about 355 lbs? I’ve never seen this one installed either, but is definitely the lightest with the most cc’s/ hp. There could be issues with motor clearance while tilting forward, weight of motor when tilted forward affecting steering while sailing (a disconnect is available to solve this). Strength of the hull doesn’t seem to be an issue, but most reinforce with plates etc just to be careful. There is no engine rating on the macgregor that I know of. I am looking for mid range torque for comfortable/ efficient cruising at around 20mph? Don’t think I would have many chances to go WOT unless was on smooth flat water. This is my knowledge so far, at this point I am thinking 90 Yamaha. I took some measurements of one the other day, haven’t checked my boat yet to see if it would fit. DI 2 strokes seem to work well also, but I want a quiet motor.

Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:56 am

I ran a 2003 suzuki DF90 (older 1950cc 400lb 4 stroke) on my X for a few years. I also had a 2003 honda 50 and 2015 suzuki DF20a on it. I have a yamaha 70 on my skiff. The yamahas seem to be a little smoother to me. The 90 is a great match to the x. My experience is stay at 9.9 or jump to at least 70. In general every few years manufactures come out with a new model, lighter, faster, supposedly better. I am a fan of the newest engineering if I can afford it and would take that over manufacture branding. Generally they try to outdo the competition and won't release something that has problems, so they are all fine. I like the just released T25 yamaha for another boat, but gave up on it ever coming out and bought a new T9.9 last year.

My experience was the weight does not matter that much on the transom of the :macx: . The difference between 200 and 400lbs was not that noticeable. I don't think 20-30lbs up or down on a 90hp on a X would be noticeable at all. I could not fathom it before the install and only did it because a few others had the identical motor.

The seat interference is the cowling on the trim on the back of the seat, a little cutout of the back flap of the seat and that is taken care of. The mercurys in my opinion have a huge cowling. They look much larger in person than the others to me. There are a couple at my marina. I have not seen the new yamaha 90 in person, but the curve on it should keep it pretty compact.

Top speed should be about the same no matter the brand if they are producing the rated hp. My experience is the larger CC do produce the torque lower in the RPM range so you can run the same speeds at lower RPMs. I would put more importance on displacement and available props (large diameter and large individual blades) than weight of the motor.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:16 am

Are there any 60+ HP outboards that allow for manual pull starting?

One of the reasons I haven't explored an upgrade is because that's as big as it gets and still allow for manual pull starting if necessary. I am an old sailor, not a bold sailor. :wink:

Sheppie62
Deckhand

Post by Sheppie62 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:54 pm

Thanks SeaPup, your insight is greatly appreciated. I agree the newer mercury engines look huge, there is a little Boston whaler on the dock with a 40hp merc it looks like a 90hp. I was hoping the 115 pro XS was smaller that the ones I’ve seen, I did see a Yamaha 90, it measured about 25” above the pivot point, now thinking about it the pivot point to the top back edge would have been the right place to measure for clearance. The mercury 115 has an option for a lower geared and larger lower unit that can take up to a 16” prop. Would add weight also.