Running back stay

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Running back stay

Post by Ixneigh » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:42 am

A good sailor friend of mine with a lot of time on various boats told me I might be causing enough flex in my boat by using the running backs to start leaks in the hull to deck joint.
These accessory stays have helped the performance of the boat and give the mast additional support. I bring them down from the jib mast hound, to the lifeline stanchion base with a small tackle that is controlled by the sheet winch. Although I can certainly take them up very tight by using the winch, in practice I just snug them. I really only use them in heavy air when I want to hang onto the working jib after reefing the main. They keep the headstay tighter which helps performance to weather and reduces heeling. Last spring I sailed the boat a lot on my cruise south. She seemed to collect about five gallons of water in the bilge. I’ve had leaks before from the chainplates when it rains a lot but I did seal them I thought. This year I sealed the rub rail with black silicon just to try to head off any leaks there. However I didn’t think of the running back causing distortion in the hull.
Any opinions?

Ix

Sisu
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Re: Running back stay

Post by Sisu » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:14 am

I considered putting runners on mine to accommodate a square-top main but thought the better of it, partially because I didn't have a good attachment point through the deck to the hull. Your friend has a point - it's not so much the wind-driven load on the rig or how tight you have your runners, it's the shock loading of waves. I don't know if that's enough to compromise the hull/deck joint or not, but just know that every time you hit a wave and the rig wants to slam forward, you're transferring that load to the hull/deck joint in the back corner. I attach my mainsheet back there so I don't have much of a leg to stand on, but my boat also leaks like a sieve (not just from there).

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:12 am

I bring the tail end of the runner to the lifeline stauncion base and figured the stress would show there first in stress cracks of loose fittings. The mast shock is exactly why I installed them. It stops that. Now the boat sails more like a real sailboat :p and I can tension the head stay. I’ll do whatever I have to to strengthen the yacht. Btw why does yours leak?

Ix

Sisu
Chief Steward

Post by Sisu » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:24 am

A previous owner crashed it into the State of Wisconsin while on Lake Michigan in a storm.

Sisu
Chief Steward

Post by Sisu » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:28 am

On a serious note, though, if the 26M is anything like my 25, the stanchions aren't secured very well thru the deck (just some fender washers on the other side). I have some aftermarket stern cleats with a proper backing plate that I use for anchoring my mainsheet system and spinnaker sheets (in addition to tying up the boat). I'd consider installing something like that if you don't already have them.

kurz
Captain

Post by kurz » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:47 am

Sisu, if you say this... I have to say that the cleats are fixed the same way... And seem to hold so fare ...

Sisu
Chief Steward

Post by Sisu » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:29 am

It's plenty strong for the designed application, but if you're integrating the fitting into standing rigging you may consider improving the backing plate. All other items of standing rigging are the strongest fittings on boat (except for maybe the outboard mount), tied directly into the hull.

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:25 pm

That’s a good point. I’ll check it and see. The foredeck cleats I installed a piece of PT two by six under them. However the fiberglass was so thick I deemed it unnecessary. I had it cut so I put it in anyway. When demo-ing my boat we hit the dock with it. Bent the back stanchion and the base. But it didn’t rip out of the fiberglass. Just had a stress crack. Dealer did a lousy job replacing it.
After hitting the state, did they not fix your boat correctly??

Ix